Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paint removal...I.e chemical dip

2 posters

Go down

Paint removal...I.e chemical dip Empty Paint removal...I.e chemical dip

Post  Denny1965 Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Hello again, I was just wondering if anyone on here would be able to help. My elf is currently under a full ground up resto by my father and myself. As it is so far we figured if we're doing it then we may as well do it properly as we want it to last. We know the shell is solid all over bar pinholes in the floor pan and rust bubbles on the front valance (perks of being garaged 41 years I guess) however the paint is blistering and it's coated in undersell so expense being no object, we've been looking at chemical dipping the car to start fresh. What are views on this opposed to sand blasting etc? Do you know of anyone having it done and if so what are there views? And would you know any that are local to the south east?

Many thanks
Andy

Denny1965

Back to top Go down

Paint removal...I.e chemical dip Empty Re: Paint removal...I.e chemical dip

Post  asahartz Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:16 pm

No personal experience of either, but from watching the car restoration programmes on TV there are pros and cons to both. Media blasting can be hard on the metal, while dipping will get into areas that blasting might not reach. On the other hand, once it's got in there, you need to get it out again, and how do you then protect the stripped metal?

I know where there's one near me, but then I'm not near you... sorry to be unhelpful!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Denny1965 Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Aha no worries. Thank you very much though and that's what I've been thinking about it but once it's done it'll get shipped off to a body shop. Help is much appreciated though Smile

Denny1965

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down