Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bumper Removal

5 posters

Go down

Bumper Removal Empty Bumper Removal

Post  discoman41 Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:26 am

Hi all,

Anyone got any tips for bumper removal?

Particularly interested in how to remove the chrome capped bolts! Trying to undo mine and they are just turning when I undo the bolt. Do they pop off or something obvious?

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Bumper Removal Empty Re: Bumper Removal

Post  TONYELF Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:25 am

A dam good dose of easing oil is all that can be done to start of with.If there is any way you can wire brush what thread is showing then do that. I had the same problem. You may have to invest in new bolts I'm afraid.
That way you can do what you like!
Some one once gave me a tip. Tighten the nut slightly if possible,just a touch,then undo it slightly.This can sometime expose a section of new thread if you get my drift. It gives the easing oil achance to get in. It often works for rme.

You may be able to get a good grip on the head with mole grips whilst turning the spanner.

Alternatively you can centre pop the bolt head and drill it out, using a small drill bit to start and then a larger one.
As a last resort you can grind the bolt head off but you are likely to damage the bumper chrome.

It may also be possible to cut a slot across the bolt head with a cutting disc, again you may damage the bumper. If manage to do that there is the possibility of slipping of the head with the screwdriver. This is a two man job. If you do this,make sure you don't stab the other person if you slip off!

I personally managed to get one bolt off by grinding the nut and thread off underneath.

Removing the bumper was one of the most frustrating jobs I had to do because turning bolts means elongating the holes in the bumper even more,damaging the chrome and not being able to tighten up the new bolts!.
Sorry to be a downer on this but it can be a long job! Good luck.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks Tony!

He might just mask them up when I show him that! Mad

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:33 pm

I guess in an extreme case you could drill through the bolts from underneath. That way you are unlikely to damage the chrome.

You can get new bolts in different sizes; I have some in my garage that I think are intended for a Vauxhall; the square is a little bigger, but I can file it down small enough to fit the Elf holes, even if they have been stretched. Worth a thought.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm with Tony on this one. There seem to be several sources for new bumper bolts. Just Google the part number, ALA4739.
Somerford lists them in their catalog or you can order them directly from Namrick. I've also seen them on Ebay, but they'd be cheaper from the suppliers.
I'd give them a game try and if they don't come off first time without turning in the holes, drill them suckers out and put in new ones.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:55 pm

discoman41 wrote:Thanks Tony!

He might just mask them up when I show him that! Mad

Jase

Don't let him do that! Then you have unknown nasties hiding under there where you can't see them. Just get new bolts!
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:24 pm

You may try...

Using a small drill (2-3mms or soo) try to drill through the NUT from the side or the buttom. If You do it carefully, You do not harm the bolt. If You succed, get a sharp chisel and a hammer and try to crack the nut with one sharp hit. Several hits will damage the thread. If You are lucky enough, it will brake and will come off easily.

Best wishes...

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:52 pm

I'm not sure on this one. Is there enough room to fit a nut splitter? (Not used one myself)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:18 am

What I am trying to talk about (sorry my english is weak and limited) is not a real nut splitter, just a "willagepeople" vesion of the thing. From the underside You will definiatly be able to drill the nut and use the chisel-hammer duo to split the nut. I have done it a couple of times with mini bumpers (where it is even more of a problem hence the bolts are velded to the bumper itself).

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 am

Don't worry about it. Your English is very good. Have a look at this link for a nut splitter.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/filter/Nut+splitter/type/any/page/1
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Jase. ebay auction for rear bumper. Note what it says about slight damage due to angle grinder. I'm not expecting you to bid for this! but if you did,it would cost at least anpther £200 to have chromed! Shocked
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Riley-Elf-Wolsley-Hornet-rear-bumper-Ginetta-Lotus_W0QQitemZ330363764965QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4ceb3700e5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Thanks Tony - and everyone else for advice but I managed to get a new set of bolts at Combe, so we will be all ok now!

Laughing
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum