Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedo lights

5 posters

Go down

Speedo lights Empty Speedo lights

Post  MGs Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Just been out for the first spin in the Elf. Not a roaring success, ignition light came on after
about 3 miles (broken fanbelt) managed to limp home. This got me thinking about the lights
on the speedo, as I don't have a handbook. The green light at the top works on the indicators,
the blue one is main beam. What do the two orange lights do, central on either side?
MGs
MGs

Back to top Go down

Speedo lights Empty Re: Speedo lights

Post  bmcelf Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:19 pm

The left one on my car is hooked to a low oil pressure warning switch at the oil filter. The oil pressure gauge works normally. Nothing is hooked to the right indicator.

bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Speedo lights Empty Cheers

Post  MGs Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks. Not sure if anything is wired up to either, will check it out. Along with a strange toggle switch wired under the
dashboard near the drivers door.
MGs
MGs

Back to top Go down

Post  RobBFG Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:07 am

My left light is the oil filter warning light, and the right was not connected until I used it for the alarm.
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Speedo lights Empty Cheers

Post  MGs Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks, I'll have a look later today whilst I'm fitting the new fanbelt
MGs
MGs

Back to top Go down

Speedo lights Empty same

Post  MGs Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Looks like the same, there is a wire from the oil pressure switch which goes that way.
MGs
MGs

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:00 am

MGs wrote:Thanks. Not sure if anything is wired up to either, will check it out. Along with a strange toggle switch wired under the

Does your strange toggle switch illuminate a green light when you flick it on?

If so, then you will find (unless it has been replaced at some point) that your rear windscreen is heated! A rare luxury back in the day! Mine is like that. Original and still working Smile That said, you have to look really really closely at the glass to notice the very fine wires running through the glass.

Or then again, it maybe a completely random after market switch that does nothing at all!!!

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Speedo lights Empty the latter

Post  MGs Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 am

Traced the wires yesterday. Through the dashboard and loom, surprise surprise, nothing at the other end.
MGs
MGs

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:31 pm

discoman41 wrote:
MGs wrote:Thanks. Not sure if anything is wired up to either, will check it out. Along with a strange toggle switch wired under the

Does your strange toggle switch illuminate a green light when you flick it on?

If so, then you will find (unless it has been replaced at some point) that your rear windscreen is heated! A rare luxury back in the day! Mine is like that. Original and still working Smile That said, you have to look really really closely at the glass to notice the very fine wires running through the glass.

Or then again, it maybe a completely random after market switch that does nothing at all!!!

Jase

They actually made a proper HRW that far back? Wow! I have one of the stick-on ones in my garage ready for Elfie when I get her back on the road - with most Minis it's easy to fit one from a later car, but Elfs share the small rear screen of the Mk1 Mini and I had no idea they even made the OE type of HRW for those.

That's certainly the usual place for fitting the switch though.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down