Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear lights

2 posters

Go down

Rear lights Empty Rear lights

Post  psychobob Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:47 pm

Are the tail lights held on by anything other than the retaining bolts in the boot? I'm trying to sort out a bubbled rusty patch but even with the nuts undone, it won't budge. I'm wondering now if the have been bonded on somehow, by the previous owner? Does anyone know if I'm missing something obvious?
psychobob
psychobob

Back to top Go down

Rear lights Empty Re: Rear lights

Post  Red Riley Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:13 am

Just the nuts. Try the other side and see how it comes off.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  psychobob Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:25 pm

I'm thinking they are bonded on with something then? With all the nuts off, they are still on solid. Even tried gently persuading them with a wooden drift and lump hammer. Not even a wobble. It looks very much like they are going to get damaged trying to prise them off. I'll have to see if I can find some more for sale. Nightmare.
psychobob
psychobob

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Just odd to think that they would be sealed on somehow. There is a fairly thick rubber gasket between the frame and the mounting surface, or should be. Maybe that's just glued itself to the surfaces and is hanging on for dear life. I'd try gently working around the frame with a sharp knife while prying it out. Make certain you've got the three nuts off first. Just looked at my spare set, and there's two bolts at the bottom and one top center. If worst comes to worse, they're not terribly hard to find. There are a few sets on Ebay just now. Also, search for Morris or Austin 1100 ones, and by the Lucas part number, L695. You can also find sets of the rubber gaskets on Ebay. Good luck!
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  psychobob Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:41 am

The austin 1100 lights is a top tip. I never realised they were the same. Nice vtec by the way. Is it the 4x4 one I spotted on YouTube, in the snow, a while ago? I have a honda hrv vtec that has a good engine and gearbox, but is rusting quite badly now. Hmm. Very tempting!
psychobob
psychobob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down