Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though!

+11
TONYELF
Johnnypoopoopants
asahartz
discoman41
We Are The Mods
Zef
robinkritz1
Red Riley
superworm
Big_Al_Smith
DyNoRod
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Empty Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though!

Post  DyNoRod Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:48 pm

I just wanted to share a picture of my engine with you.

It is almost ready to go in the new subframe!

Spec:

998 / AEG295 Head / Twin 1.25 carbs / 731 cam / forged 1.5 rockers / uprated S dizzy / alternator!

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! 5740_111248664721_502984721_2026627_6215307_n
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Empty Re: Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though!

Post  Big_Al_Smith Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:03 pm

looks good - rusty's engine is still in bits while i await the funds to buy the new bits for it!
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Empty Almost

Post  DyNoRod Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:06 am

Just been told the body will come back from the painters on the 29th March!!!!

Better find some side glass!!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Empty Re: Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though!

Post  superworm Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:24 am

No Comment (I'm freakin' JEALOUS - thats why)

Mine looked like that 24 years ago - now I'm going to have to pull it out so I can make it look like yours again!!!

Best of luck with the new paint job ; you didn't say what colour did you ???
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Empty Colours

Post  DyNoRod Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:18 am

Thanks man, the engine is rather dusty now, and I have to confess at being rubish when it comes to taking pictures and documenting progress. I am rather annoyed with myself for not taking more - so I am promising to take more when it is coming to assembly!

Colour was originally Grey and Grey! Will be Snowberry White and Damask red.
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:49 am

This would look good on top of the alternator.
Coil Bracket
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Empty Bracket

Post  DyNoRod Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:22 am

Yes it definatley would! I would also solve a problem I have on where to position the starter solenoid / coil (previous thinking was on the inner wing).

Adam

Thanks for that - great tip-off!

Last edited by DyNoRod on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:27 am

DyNoRod wrote:Yes it definatley would! I would also solve a problem I have on where to position the starter solenoid / coil (previous thinking was on the inner wing).

Let hope he will shit one to the UK! Will register on that forum now.

Adam

Thanks for that - great tip-off!

Well, let's hope that he will SHIP one, anyway.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Empty UK

Post  DyNoRod Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:03 am

Actually it looks like he is here in the UK, and quite close to where I live!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  robinkritz1 Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:04 pm

OHhhhh, some more pics please that is just perfect more pics please I would like to have mine look like that so I would like more detail. Congrats on a job well done.
robinkritz1
robinkritz1

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:08 am

Definately an improvement on bolting onto a head stud like i've done and it's in the original position, sort of.
Zef
Zef

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:24 am

Yo Dyno

Correct position for starter solenoid is on the Clutch Housing using the two bolts that are only partly screwed in on your original piccy (just below your left hand). The solenoid is fastened to a plate by a couple of self-tappers which is then bolted to the Clutch housing as per.

http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=327&products_id=12149

Cheers

PS That Alternator Coil Mounting is rather nice - if I dump my Dyno, I'll have to have one of those!
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Empty Bracket

Post  DyNoRod Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:46 am

Bloke that sells those brackets is tops!

I emailed him, and got a response within 6 hours - paid by paypal, and my new bracket for the coil arrived today!!!!

How is that for service!

If you want one email him on matt@spotondesign.org.uk - cost was £14 including postage.
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  DyNoRod Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0313

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0314

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0315

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0317

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0318

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0319

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0320

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0321

Making progress!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  DyNoRod Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0322

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0323

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Img_0324
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  We Are The Mods Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:13 pm

Love it mate. I can see this getting a few trophies
We Are The Mods
We Are The Mods
Admin

http://theraleighchopper.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  robinkritz1 Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:23 pm

That is one of the most gorgeous cars I have seen in a long while, my car is going to be that same colour. Its nice seeing a preview of what I intend it to look like. Are those both original Hornet colours? That speedo wood looks special, did you have that done professionally by a coach builder? Congrats man. How long has it been getting it to that stage?
robinkritz1
robinkritz1

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:49 am

Beautiful! I love those colors, except they're on backwards! Smile
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Empty Car

Post  DyNoRod Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:31 am

Thanks guys! We took a chunk out of the paint re-hanging a door, so back to the painter once finished! I also forgot to ask him to paint the front panel slam section black behind the grill.

I think the total end cost is going to be around £10-£11k - mostly because pretty much everything is new, except for the parts which cannot be bought new (except NOS).

Interior is a Newton Commercial special, all completley new recovered with leather in a special colour which is a close match to the original (door cards, seats, dash - full interior) that alone cost a fortune! Clock surround was a NOS ebay find, however it seems darker than the original - colours are original for the type of car and year (but not for this individual car) - Snowberry White and Damask Red.

The only thing I am dissapointed with is my piss poor job of fitting the headliner - it will do for this summer, however it may have to go off for a pro job over the winter.

Fingers crossed it should be ready for the L2B - just having a few issues with the carbs, wiring for the heated front and rear screens, and deciding if I can hide all the modern wires for the HID headlight coversion I have (modern lights but hopefully done in a way that you will not be able to see) and use them or scrap the idea.

Thanks again guys!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:37 am

Oh my!

What a gorgeous car!!! Congratulations!!!

Let me know what shows you're going to, so I don't have to bother! Wink

No, seriously, I think it's fantastic that so many of our cars are being restored to such high standards.

I can't wait to park alongside yours on an E/H/R stand one day.

Well done!!!!

cheers
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:54 am

I've seen a couple of the HID headlight conversions done, but in my opinion they don't look right on a classic. I have the WIPAC H4 headlights and they are very bright and work well and are a plug and play replacement for sealed beams, as opposed to the HID, which are expensive and from what I've seen much more work to install and get working right. Also, as far as I know, the HID lamps can't be dipped or aimed properly, although things may have changed. Just my opinion, mind. I'd hate to see your stunning Wolseley with a set of odd looking pop-eyes.
Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Tl09 Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! 4501120733_afb92ba07c
HID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . or . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WIPAC H4

No contest in my opinion. I'd stick with the classic looking H4 lights.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Checkout the Halogen conversion on mine in the resto pictures thread. They are Wipac and look very period in my opinion.

No longer a candlelit dinner for two! I can see the road ahead and moths fly towards them.... something that never happened before!!!! And yes, I'm still running the original dynamo!!!

Smile

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! DSCF0719

The Clubman Estate above is fitted with HID lights. You have to look very closely to tell - I had no idea until I saw them switched on!

Hiding the wiring may be more difficult, Dave has the modules bolted to the inner wings for cooling.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! Empty Lights

Post  DyNoRod Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:30 am

I have the expensive cibe headlights without a side light unit, the pattern is quite opaque so I dont think you will be able to see the HID element through the light, the main issue will be with the wiring - if it looks crap I will stick to the H4 conversion.

Disco - your car looks great, and I am sure your headcloth looks better than mine! I plan to do the L2B, Crystal Palace Motorsport Show, Beaulieu, Gaydon and possibly MITP and Himley. And I agree its great to see so many Elfs and Hornets coming back to life! Mine was last on the road in 1990, and 20 years off the road in a garage with no roof definatley made for a difficult start, and I do not envy Robin and Mods - mine looked much like yours, and if I could turn back the clock I would definatley try to start with a better base car, its very annoying at the moment given so many solid looking hornets and elfs are selling on ebay for peanuts (but I know that wouldnt be a challenge). I may be wrong but at last count I am sure I recall there being at least 5 cars on here which should be completed this year! repopulating the world!!!

I am going North next week to do more work on wiring the rev counter, heated screens and lights and I may also try to get some brightwork and interior in!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Disco - your car looks great, and I am sure your headcloth looks better than mine! I plan to do the L2B, Crystal Palace Motorsport Show, Beaulieu, Gaydon and possibly MITP and Himley.

if you make it for the l2b, a few of us will be meeting up very early at the palace to do the run down to brighton in convoy and you'd be more than welcome to join us, just let me know and make sure you've got yer ticket 'cos it's sold out!

car's looking fab too Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next