Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tracing the history of Coco

4 posters

Go down

Tracing the history of Coco Empty Tracing the history of Coco

Post  Coco_ChanElf Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:47 pm

About a month ago, having acquired the list of registered owners from the DVA and the DVLA, I wrote to them all enclosing a photo of Coco and asking what they could remember of her.

Thus far I have had one dead end reply, and then this morning I received the most remarkable letter from one of the previous owners. My letter had found its way to his mother (who still lived in the same village, but not the same address) and then to him.

He says he is delighted to hear I am in the process of restoring it, and has very fond memories of it.

He tells me he bought the car in 1978 soon after leaving school for £220.00 from a work colleague at the bank he worked at. It was his first ever car, and he learned to drive and passed his test in it. He broke his ankle soon after buying and and his wife (then girlfriend!) chauffered him about in it.

He said that the walnut dash and red leather interior were always impressive and ...'I often say that it was the best interior of any car I have owned.'

He apologises for not having any photos from back then, and goes on to wish me luck with the rest of the restoration and research into its history.

I couldn't have imagined a more wonderful reply! Smile I wonder if I will receive any more.
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Tracing the history of Coco Empty Re: Tracing the history of Coco

Post  Minijames Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Wow that's a good result. Always interesting finding out the history of cars etc.

My dad did the same with his vintage tractor. Turnes out that it was originally brought in 1966 by a company who are less than 5 miles down the road from where he lives today.....small world
Minijames
Minijames

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:43 pm

No problem with history of mine being the second owner!
The problem is, why was the flywheel removed? I couldn't ask her, she had died! (very inconsiderate!)
Elf had been standing in garage from 1986 -2005 in this state. None of the neighbours knew she had a car!
Anyway, I found a replacement flywheel, fitted all other bits back on and its still running today on what was probably the original clutch plate!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tracing the history of Coco Empty Another Reply!

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:20 am

Last night I received a reply from another of the former owners of Coco. Another fascinating insight into her history!

He bought the car from his father in 2000/1. He repainted the roof OEW and fitted the 1300 metro engine, sporty exhaust and 10inch Minilights.

An interesting piece of history about the car when he had it was that it was a prop in 2 films which were shot locally-
'The Boys and Girl from County Clare' starring Andrea Corr
http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0337631/
and
'Mickey Bo and Me'
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0388154/

How amazing is that? I always knew Coco had star quality! Wink I'm so glad I decided to try to contact the owners, so far I've learned some fascinating stuff!
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:58 am

Check the movies on the IMCDB, maybe you can find Coco on film!

http://www.imcdb.org/
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down