Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close

+29
cheleker
tormod53
DyNoRod
whitebuffalo
paulsminis
Zef
taz157
oily
CMC
miniman86
flat broke
RileyUSMan
The Adder
mac
automini
humph
AFHuey
Big_Al_Smith
asahartz
Elf Service
Admin
TONYELF
1071kev
bmcelf
hilbert
Red Riley
discoman41
catmint
reymondos
33 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Empty Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close

Post  reymondos Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Hello.

My name is John and I live in Athens, Greece. I recently acquired this 1960 or '61 Austin Beach Car, which is like a pre-production Elf with a sort of Saloon front and without doors. There are quite a few common parts like the bumpers and the rear light lenses.

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Jolly028-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close IMG_2762-1

Last edited by reymondos on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
reymondos
reymondos

Back to top Go down

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Empty Re: Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close

Post  catmint Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:45 am

Hi John

I think you have found one of the holy grails of the Elf/Hornet crowd - THE beach car. This if I am not mistaken is the prototype for the beach cars that were produced about a year later and sent over to the USA (about 16 of them, and were based on a normal mini). BUT that is not all because if I remember correctly (and I am sure some one will put me right here if I am wrong) this beach car was built from one of the prototype Hornet/Elf cars, hence the normal bonnet and strange grill and the different trim on the rear lights. I did not relise that this car had survived. I read on stefans website that you rescued it from a scrap yard, did you manage to over come the "spares" issue ?

So I think you have probably found the rarest of them all here - a prototype built on a prototye !- fantastic, that has just made my night cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

here is another picture of it in its former glory

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close 09

Catmint

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Empty Re: Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close

Post  catmint Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:47 am

forgot to say -so yes it is and elf/hornet - just you happen to have one of the first

catmint

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:16 am

OH MY GOD! That is indeed the Holy Grail!!!! Please, please, please send the pictures into MiniWorld and Mini Mag!!!

How lucky are you??????

I want it!!!!!!!!

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:35 am

Truly amazing that this car still exists! And it looks be in fair shape. Would those taillight housings have come from another existing model? They look a bit different than the standard Elf/Hornet ones.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  reymondos Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:56 pm

I couldn't control myself and started stripping the car. Interior and fuel tank are out. The rear floors are super-clean and even the boot area is without holes.
Most of the chromework has been removed and soon I will take the car to my place and remove the engine and dashboard.

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach047-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach024-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach036-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach040-1
reymondos
reymondos

Back to top Go down

Post  hilbert Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:09 am

pleas keep on posting new pictures
we like it al

hilbert

hilbert

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:56 am

John,
I saw in another posted link story that you lost the chassis plate when you got the car. I was curious what the car was registered as in the factory VIN number. Do you know the chassis number? Anyone know how many "3 box Beach Cars were made"?

Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  reymondos Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:08 pm

The chassis number is SPL 6**-A and there is also a front end number FE 05425. I took many photos of of it before it was removed.
reymondos
reymondos

Back to top Go down

Post  1071kev Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:44 pm

I don't think anyone has noticed but this car doesn't seem have the Elf/Hornet rear wings. It looks like it has modified mini saloon wings. Inside the boot you can still see the vertical seam of the saloon wing. This might confirm the car being converted from a prototype Elf. It might also explain the unusual boot hinges. My Pre-Production Elf has full one piece rear wings and tubular bootlid hinges. A couple of cars were included in the first batch of chassis numbers with much earlier build dates. There are pictures of a Hornet with June or July 1960 registration plates in The Autocar October 1961 magazine.

Last edited by 1071kev on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information)

1071kev

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:46 pm

1071kev wrote:I don't think anyone has noticed but this car doesn't seem have the Elf/Hornet rear wings. It looks like it has modified mini saloon wings. Inside the boot you can still see the vertical seam of the saloon wing. This might confirm the car being converted from a prototype Elf. It might also explain the unusual boot hinges. My Pre-Production Elf has full one piece rear wings and tubular bootlid hinges. A couple of cars were included in the first batch of chassis numbers with much earlier build dates. There are pictures of a Hornet with June or July 1960 registration plates in The Autocar October 1961 magazine.

Well spotted - I noticed the hinges and tried to remember what yours were like. The rear slam panel and corners under the lights are also of a different profile as well - a bit more angular, but the boot lock looks correct.

We have come across the SPL chassis numbers before going through Gaydons records and we think they relate to something along the lines of a SPeciaL build project. Unfortunately this makes it very difficult to find in the records as there is no other cars with a similar number cropping up regularly.

I just wish I could remember where I read about the pre production H'Elf's/beach car

BMCelf - we have the build details of the beach cars, just need to dig them out - about 16 were built over a couple of months in 62 on normal mini shells and most (if not all)went over the US

catmint

Back to top Go down

Post  1071kev Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:58 pm

I thought the profile around the boot looked a sharper but couldn't tell if it was just the angle it was photographed at and the colour. I think the bumpers may be different also. The front one looks like it has been replaced with an Elf one as it has over-riders and fewer fixing bolts than in the press shots. The rear looks original and may have different bolt positions than the Elf ones but it's difficult to see. Hopefully it will all become apparent as the re-commissioning continues. Keep us posted John, you certainly have a wonderful car. Kev

1071kev

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm guessing the boot hinges are different to allow it to open higher?.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Empty Production beach cars

Post  catmint Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Right, as promised the details of the production beach cars that we hold.

We have records for 14 cars built from 20/12/61 to 19/3/62 - all were LH drive and listed as export - 11 of which were noted as destined for the USA

Chassis numbers are all 19***, some have the prefix of ST

And that is it I am afraid

Catmint

catmint

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:37 am

WOW!

great little car!

love to see it back to former glory
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.elf-hornet-register.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Empty History

Post  reymondos Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:23 pm

I found out some of my Beach Cars history.

It was previously owned for many years by someone who worked in cargo ships. It was a gift from the shipping company owner. Some Greek magnate (there are a few apart from Onassis).
This person drove the car around in the summers and kept the car in excellent condition.
Then in the late '90s he died and a friend's friend who lived nearby tried to buy it many times over from the widow but she had sort of gone crazy.
When the widow died all her belongings were sold off and so it was bought by a restaurant owner.
The car was left standing outside a car bodyshop garage for about three years and then ended up parked outside the owners restaurant.
On November 10th 2010 it was sent to be scrapped.
On December 16th 2010 it was saved by me.

The only question mark now is who the shipping magnate was, and how long he kept the car before giving it away to his employee.

Considering it spent a good few years parked outside its a right miracle the car is so complete and rust free.
reymondos
reymondos

Back to top Go down

Post  reymondos Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:56 pm

I continued today and prepared the engine bay for the engine removal tomorrow.

Found some excellent colour patches under the dash rail upholstery.

Can you make any chronological sense of the engine and wiper motor numbers?

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close IMG_2849-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close IMG_2854-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close IMG_2845-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close IMG_2850-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close IMG_2855-1
reymondos
reymondos

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:09 pm

For the wiper motor 12 60 = december 1960 I think

for the engine - there is a very rough order that they were fitted, but car no 20 did not necessarily have engine number 20, but both numbers are indicative of a time period of when the car was built, and a call to Gaydon's heritage centre with these numbers and the chassis number will give you the definite details

hope this helps a bit

Gordon

catmint

Back to top Go down

Post  hilbert Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:44 pm

8AM meens 850 engine for austin/morris after chassis nr 25000
u-h high compresion engine
116187 engine number

and the wiper motor is produced on dec 1960

and there must also be numbers on the master cluch and brake cilinder
and the floor swits

hilbert

hilbert

Back to top Go down

Post  1071kev Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:18 pm

I see that the bonnet hinges are the flat type, confirming the front end being mini saloon based. Dis the dash top and bottom rails have padded vinyl on them or just plain vinyl?

1071kev

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:22 am

Kevin
Check out the original seamless front wings, the mating and any additional strengthening/bracing may be useful with your MK1 restoration, more photos, me thinks.

The BMC guys again were well ahead of their time, side front wing repeaters on early 1960's cars.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  reymondos Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:30 am

The dash rail was padded.

The engine came out and now its time for the sublframes and everything else. Then the car will be put on a rotisserie.

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach054-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach055-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach058-1

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach051-1

I found this number on the passenger floor section. It's in similar style to the FE number.

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach057-1
reymondos
reymondos

Back to top Go down

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Empty Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close

Post  1071kev Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Elf Service wrote:Kevin
Check out the original seamless front wings, the mating and any additional strengthening/bracing may be useful with your MK1 restoration, more photos, me thinks.

The BMC guys again were well ahead of their time, side front wing repeaters on early 1960's cars.

Yes, I'm hoping to compare those details. They might have been made in a different way as this cars a bit earlier than mine. Looking forward to photos and waiting for the weather to improve so I can have a poke at mine.

1071kev

Back to top Go down

Post  reymondos Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Yesterday the seats were stipped and today I continued to clean and polish various parts of the car.

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close IMG_2841-1

The metal and wooden frames are different on the front seats.

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach352

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach413

the rear subframe was covered in waxoyl. Its a bitch to remove
Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach191

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach414

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach407

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach406

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach408

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach410

Not exactly a n Elf/Hornet, but close Beach409
reymondos
reymondos

Back to top Go down

Post  hilbert Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:35 pm

keep the good work going
and please do'nt stop posting foto's

hilbert

hilbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next