Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heater Switch

3 posters

Go down

Heater Switch Empty Heater Switch

Post  evlin64 Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi All,

New to the Forum

Just got my 1964 Elf back on the road after two years, still lots of jobs to do.
Looking at the heater today 12v switch is faulty can I remove /replace without taking the heater out?
Heater cable to head is snapped what is this like to replace?

Thanks

evlin64

Back to top Go down

Heater Switch Empty Re: Heater Switch

Post  TONYELF Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:52 pm

The heater has to be partially dismantled to replace heater switch I'm afraid. To this end it has to be removed from the bulkhead but not necessarily from the car. I had to re wire mine and while I had it out I flushed it both ways with a hose attached to the tap. The amount of muck that came out made it worth while!
A tip. If you decide to take it out all together, remove the carpets first if you are taking the hoses off! Very Happy

I removed the heater cable to degrease and clean, and re grease it and put it back no problem. Refer to your Haynes manual exploded veiw of the heater and removal instructions. If you don't have access to such a manual I will try and scan and email it to you.

RE read heater cable question. Do you mean the control knob has come off the cable on the dashboard?
If so you will have to remove the remainder of the inner cable to enable you to insert a new or repaired cable, good luck in getting this out! (can be a right pain!) If you can, you should replace inner and outer at same time so as to have a real smooth action. If like me you don't want to spend £19 on a genuine new one then you'll have to repair or make do with a later cable which is cheaper.

Last edited by TONYELF on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:31 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling! And further info)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Heater Switch Empty Heater

Post  evlin64 Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:56 am

Thanks Tony,

I will most probably put a temporary switch in for now as it is not the weather to be driving with no heater.

The inner cable on the push control knob snapped as I was trying to free it with 3 in one oil, will look at buying a new one.

Thanks again

evlin64

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 pm

There are two spade connectors on the back of the switch which may pull off without having to dismantle the heater ( if you can find the right wires to pull!) These two wires pass through a rubber grommet at one side of the heater body. They are the only two wires involved. If you cannot pull the connectors off, you could cut the wires and re-route them to your switch.

As for the broken cable you can leave the control lever on cylinder head in the "ON" position until you can pick up a new cable.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:03 pm

A Hater Switch? I'd like to have one of those. Just hit the switch when I want to turn off the Haters. Like this: Heater Switch Hater-10
LOL Cool
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Very Happy Not my spelling! Smile Don't you just hate it when the pc comes up with mispellings like that!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:59 pm

TONYELF wrote: Don't you just hate it when the pc comes up with mispellings like that!
Or even misspellings. From now on I'll just hit my Hater Switch and it will all just go away.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:42 pm

I have now corrected the spelling mistake to read heater!.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down