Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EBBY HORNET

+6
DyNoRod
CamelotR
asahartz
autohornet
superworm
EBBY HORNET
10 posters

Go down

EBBY HORNET Empty EBBY HORNET

Post  EBBY HORNET Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:56 pm

What a lovely day garage open sun out. Today started well engine went in like a dream no bumps or clumps but being an auto it was a tight fit and putting the bolts in and getting a spanner or rachet to them was a whole different story.Took Mark 5 hours to fix 2 bolts in. There was alot of choice words and I could hear spanners flying across the garage but finally the blots went in, some of the other little bits have been fitted she looks really nice. The doors are on one finished the other waiting for new rubber from my son then done. Not long now. Cant wait to hear her cough into life. Shame Marks got to work tomorrow but roll on Friday day off.

Jill & Mark
EBBY HORNET
EBBY HORNET

Back to top Go down

EBBY HORNET Empty Re: EBBY HORNET

Post  superworm Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:17 am

Wot bolts are you on about Jill?????....there aren't any engine bolts difficult to fit (if you know how!!!!)

If they were the engine mounting bolts to the sub-frame, the idea is to line up the holes - maybe one at a time - with a Phillips head screwdriver or similar. Then bend a hook (shaped like the end of the crook that little Bo-Peep uses) into the end of a piece of wire (1mm brazing rod or similar about a foot long) around the bolt so it grips and traps the bolt and then poke the wire with bolt up the gap between engine mount and flywheel housing and "fish" for the hole. When you (Mark!) get bolt through and the washer and nut started, grab the free end of the wire with a pair of pliers and rip the b*gger out leaving the bolt in place. I then use a "bent" open ended 1/2" spanner to hold the bolt head while I tighten up the nut with the ratchet.....simples!

A more "professional" way is to braze the each bolt onto (say) one end of a differerential locking strap (the long ones that lock the main diff housing nuts) or strip of steel and use these to fish for the holes between engine mount and subframe. In this case, the straps stay in place after the nuts are tightened - saves having to feel for the bolt heads with a spanner to hold 'em!

Some Elfie/Hornetto anoraks (like me) scrute this forum most days/nights so if you ever have a problem fitting anything (and can wait for a response), post your problem and there's bound to be a relatively easy solution forthcoming

Good luck
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  EBBY HORNET Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks for the info will show Mark tonight when he comes in. I know he's often on the iternet looking for info and the manuals we have are all getting well used. I watched for a minute but couldn't help so left him to it incase I got hit by flying spanners. I saw a hook and I saw the bolts drop onto the floor a few times then left, after lunch one was in but the other was a heap of _ _ _ T or thats what I could hear Mark calling it from the garage. Anyway there all in now and the extra bits where going on well until it was time for bed. We will laugh about all this one day while driving to the shows I hope.

Jill & Mark
EBBY HORNET
EBBY HORNET

Back to top Go down

EBBY HORNET Empty RE EBBY HORNET

Post  autohornet Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Thanks for the advise Superworm I will have to try that!The nearside mouting was a peice of cake it was the offside that was the b######d to fit.Being an auto the mounting is different and there is very little space to work as it is.If the mounting is fitted to the engine the holes are nearly inaccessable to get to the subframe to line up,let alone turn a bolt into the hole.The problem was resolved after a cup of tea and without any adjustment from the FBH, by removing the mounting from the engine and lifting the converter end enough to bolt the mounting to the subframe then lowering the engine down on to the mounting, as it is easier to get access to the top bolts.Then manouver the engine(he says now wearing a truss) to line up the holes in the converter housing using an old allen key(short End) ground circular to just under the diameter of the bolt to avoid thread damage and line up the holes.Get one bolt in and the battle is almost won and the other will not be far away but I would recommend the use of stubby spanners if possible flexi ratchet type as these flex to the angle of the bolt to tighten.Why BMC/Leyland never made these with captive nuts so you bolt up through the subframe I don't know, maybe it would catch when the mounting flexed. The things we do for love.
Mark

autohornet

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:41 pm

You can get aftermarket manual mounts with the captive nuts from (eg) Minispares, and they do make the job a lot easier. Unfortunately they don't do these for autos - production volumes I guess.

The auto box is b@$%^ heavy isn't it!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:29 pm

You can veld the nuts on to make things easier. But this is not a 100% solution, as with attached nuts, the holes must line up "perfectly". And this is not always an easy thing to do Evil or Very Mad . I had problem with minispares items as the nuts turned around halfway Twisted Evil .

I have a "specialy modified" wrench to make things easier.

Last time I had to get two person standing on the engine to get the hole lined up Shocked .

All the time I am doing this job, I remember Sir Alec with tears in my eyes...

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

EBBY HORNET Empty Petrol Tank

Post  EBBY HORNET Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:01 am

All nice bits on Ebby, wanted to put a bomb under her yesterday everything ready to start her up got petrol, checked everything oil pressure checked but no petrol getting to engine. Another three steps forward and ten back after tracing it back to the petrol tank the filter was blocked. It's the original tank and it's been standing for years full of yuk. After a day of poking it with a wire coat hanger and soaking with cleaner finally the sticky tar glue yuk came free. Mark got to use his new vacumn tool toy and the tank is now clean. All put back together petrol now getting to engine. To late to start her up because of the neighours AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I'm starting to get the feeling she doessn't want to play with us maybe she would have rather had stayed in my friends carport covered in crap!!

Jill
EBBY HORNET
EBBY HORNET

Back to top Go down

EBBY HORNET Empty Tank

Post  DyNoRod Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:19 pm

The POR15 Petrol Tank restoraton kit from Frosts is good! You need the tank out, however I used it and inside looks like new.

Tank Sealer Kit from FROSTS
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

EBBY HORNET Empty Out of the Garage

Post  EBBY HORNET Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:24 am

Finally Ebby is out of the garage and on the drive. She had her first touch on the road just outside our house yesterday, engine ticking over nicely and gearbox working. Next step is to check everything is ok and then an MOT. This weekend she will get a wash and polish after all that ash dust. Then she will be ready to run in around town. Hope this is all done ready for the next show. (Work getting in the way of play again). We have a local classic car show at Croxley Green on the Green May 8th and 9th so would like to take her there we usually go even if it's on the way home from another show. I have never seen a Hornet or Elf there so may be she will be the first.
Jill sunny
EBBY HORNET
EBBY HORNET

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnnypoopoopants Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Fingers crossed for you on the mot Very Happy

Johnnypoopoopants

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:04 am

Excellent news! Do we get a picture???

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:30 pm

top banana - well done and good luck with mot Very Happy bounce cheers
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

EBBY HORNET Empty On the Road

Post  EBBY HORNET Fri May 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Ebby now has an MOT. We spent the afternoon in the local DVLA office changing her record to an historic car and obtaining her tax disk. If you try to obtain a tax disk without changing the paperwork the Post Office are happy to charge you £128,00. She is now on the road. I had my first drive around to get use to how she handles. And we are ready to go. Hoorah cheers cheers cheers

Mark is now allowed outside the garage and is already working on his next project. Only a facelifts and repairs from now on though.

Jill & Mark
P.S. Would post some pic's but don't know how. Tried but failed.
EBBY HORNET
EBBY HORNET

Back to top Go down

Post  robinkritz1 Fri May 07, 2010 10:55 pm

Well done on your success and hope you enjoy her to the mostest.
robinkritz1
robinkritz1

Back to top Go down

EBBY HORNET Empty Thanks

Post  EBBY HORNET Sun May 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks robinkritz1 Laughing Laughing Laughing
EBBY HORNET
EBBY HORNET

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon May 10, 2010 3:17 am

Really, really pleased for you! At long last eh?

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down