Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Master Cylinder Issues!

5 posters

Go down

Master Cylinder Issues! Empty Master Cylinder Issues!

Post  DyNoRod Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:20 am

Hi,

My Hornet is finally being put back together!

One of the things I am doing is converting to disk brakes! As part of this exercise I am using the old pedal box, but the cooper brake pedal, and I bought a new cooper brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder from Mini Spares.

See these items below

[url=http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=34204&title=BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER COO...]Brake Master Cylinder[/url]

[url=http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=36690&title=CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER ME...]Clutch Master Cylinder[/url]

For some strange reason the Brake Master Cylinder will not fit as the studs seem to be in the wrong place! And before you say it.... yes I tried the other way around... but no luck - the brake will fit on the clutch slot, but not on the brake slot when the cluch one is in place....

Any ideas?

Adam
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Master Cylinder Issues! Empty Re: Master Cylinder Issues!

Post  CamelotR Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:07 pm

Take a couple of pics to let us see the situation.

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:53 pm

strange, pics may be good? jvg runs front 7.5 discs but with the standard master cylinder, so, technically i am no help at all! sorry, but merry xmas anyway santa
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:11 am

Again - Strange - I have a Minispares "S" Brake Master Cylinder fitted to Elfie with no problems ("S" Disks fitted) - perhaps I fitted the Brake before the Clutch Cylinder - can't remember now - but if the brake cyl fits the studs when the clutch cylinder is absent that is way to go. I'll try grab a piccy of my installation tomorrow - when the frost has melted!!!

While you have no fluid in the system, fit some aeroquip hoses (also from Minispares) you'll love 'em!

Big Al - I'm assuming you're keeping a weather eye on your brake fluid level on your standard reservoir!!!!!
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Master Cylinder Issues! Empty Master cylinder.

Post  autohornet Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:54 pm

What I would do is check it against the original brake master cylinder.The mounting flange should be the same.Also was the box sealed as it might have had a clutch cylinder in it and not what it said on the box.

autohornet

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm

One of the things I am doing is converting to disk brakes! As part of this exercise I am using the old pedal box, but the cooper brake pedal, and I bought a new cooper brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder from Mini Spares.

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=34204&title=BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER COO...]Brake Master Cylinder

Hi Dyno

The Mastercyl you refer to in your link (and I presume what you paid for) is a Cooper "S" cylinder. It should be identical in all respects (footprint of mounting plate having the stud holes in the same place as your old elfie cyl.) The ONLY difference is the height of the reservoir which is about 2 mm deeper than the standard minni/elf/hornet) cylinder. A "standard" 997/998 Mini Cooper Brake M/cylinder is the same as your old one! The footbrint of the baseplate flange should be slightly (but noticeably) different between the brake and clutch cysl

Please check what autohornet says - you won't stop your car with a clutch Master cyl!!!!...methinks you may have 2 clutch master cyls and you don't have a brake m/cyl at all!

Sorry didn't get time to take a piccy today ... hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Master Cylinder Issues! Empty Cylinders

Post  DyNoRod Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:11 am

I know it sounds mad! But the Brake and clutch cylinders are both correct, I even got another brake one to check (but I chucked away the old brake one, so I have no point of reference to check) (although I have Mini Spares checking them to ensure no faults), but they both fit on the clutch studs, but not the brake studs! I'm going to have another look tomorrow and take some pics, I just wondered if anyone had come across some mad senario around the Hornet Brake master Cylinder being 'special' or different, as unlikley as that sounds!

I will keep you updated!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  DyNoRod Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:35 am

Does anyone have a pic of a Mk3 Hornet engine bay that shows the cylinders in place?
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Master Cylinder Issues! Empty Master Cyinder Issues.

Post  autohornet Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Also, which way are you fitting them,as in the filler cap is at the back nearest the bulkhead and there should be a small 'cut out' in the flange to go round the clutch cylinder flange.On original cylinders there was a B and a size ,eg 5/8 on the shaft between the resevoir and the flange The B was for type of cylinder (Brake) and the size was the dia of the cylinder.

autohornet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down