Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Master cylinder refurb

5 posters

Go down

Master cylinder refurb Empty Master cylinder refurb

Post  Grumpy Sat May 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi chaps. Does anyone have any (sensible) advice on how to remove the clevis pins holding the master cylinders to the pedals. I've been under there with the felt and air hose removed and still can't get to them. Also what is the repair kit number for the brake master cylinder? Been round Beaulieu auto jumble today and opinion was divided on what size the bore of the master cylinder is, hence the part number of the repair kit. Car is a 65 Elf we are trying to get back on the road.

Grumpy

Back to top Go down

Master cylinder refurb Empty Re: Master cylinder refurb

Post  asahartz Sat May 15, 2010 11:06 pm

It is a S-O-B of a job isn't it?

I usually remove seat and steering column and put an old sleeping bag down so that I can lie on my back and have half-decent access. The clevis pins should have a split pin which is a beggar to remove, long-nosed pliers being my best friend for the job. Many people replace those with R-clips and attach a short piece of kite string to aid future removal...

The clevis pins can wear so that they get ridged. I find that they are easier to remove if you depress the pedal very slightly as that takes the return spring tension off them. Occasionally I have had to resort to drifting them out with a long screwdriver and small hammer, and then get the long-nosed pliers on the job once they get moving.

Good luck. It is one of the worst jobs on the car!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Sun May 16, 2010 12:57 am

I have no better advice than as noted above but if you're putting the split pins back, don't open it up more than a fraction (1/16" or a mm)....mine have never fallen out in 45 years (ever!!!)

Here is Minispares part number for '65 on (0.7" bore).

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=38051&title=

Note that earlier cars had a 0.75" bore - maybe you should check after you get it removed.

If there is ANY sign of damage, rust, scoring, etc within the bore, replace the whole cylinder....also replace if the reservoir is quite rusty.
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  RobBFG Sun May 16, 2010 2:21 am

I agree with all above. I took my pedals out for the respray and put them back in this week. The only tool for the job is a pair for skinny long nose pliers. As Asahartz said I took out the column, hoses, and seats and made myself comfortable for a while.
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpy Sun May 16, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks chaps, as I suspected and feared then! I love the way the manuals say 'remove the locking pin and pull out the clevis pin' it sounds so simple. I shall be on the lookout for a 5 year old child with nine inch long fingers to put them back in again. We just got the radiator back in after working out that the manuals lied on that as well. Smile

Grumpy

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Sun May 16, 2010 2:13 pm

That's why it's known as the HBoL (Haynes Book of Lies)!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon May 17, 2010 10:44 pm

Laughing
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content