Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though!

+11
TONYELF
Johnnypoopoopants
asahartz
discoman41
We Are The Mods
Zef
robinkritz1
Red Riley
superworm
Big_Al_Smith
DyNoRod
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Empty L2B

Post  DyNoRod Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Me and the family will spend the evening before in Brighton and skip the run! I already have passes and tickets etc. Its my first year of not being the organiser so I am interested to see how the cope without me (probably better I imagine) - But I will be on the LSMOC stand..
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Empty Progress

Post  DyNoRod Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi

Made some progress since my last update - the car is now rocking some chrome, it has an exhaust, radiator etc etc and it runs (however its booked into Slark on 12th May for a full rolling road tune-up)

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Img_0325

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Img_0326..

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Img_0327

Plan for this week:

1. Frabricate new exhaust bracket so it clears the antiroll bar
2. Finish wiring guages and indicators etc
3. Wire heated screen relays
4. Fit fuel filter and pressure regulator
5. Plumb in the heater
6. Buy and fit tyres
7. Fit headlights
8. Finish fitting waist line trim
9. Fit grill
10. Wire rev counter
11. Find rubber bungs
12. Adjust wheels do the trims fit
13. Fit new steering wheel, carpets, door cards, dash cards and seats . seatbelts
14. Collect radio from updating place and fit
15. MOT
16. Take back to painters to fix chips caused by me!
17. Fit washer bottle & jets

+ 101 other things I forgot!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though!

Post  Johnnypoopoopants Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:12 pm

Wow what a car, thats an excellent example of care and craftmanship.

I may have done a little intercourse wee lol

Johnnypoopoopants

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though!

Post  Big_Al_Smith Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:47 pm

looking good - makes me weep every time i look at old Rusty...... Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Empty Had a little setback!

Post  DyNoRod Tue May 11, 2010 11:27 pm

OK,

I thought I should bring you all up to speed with my resto!

I got the car 95% finished (just the heater to go in, and some wires for the heated screens, a few bits of trim etc) so took it off for the MOT and it passed! (the tester just mentioned that the rear brakes were a little weak, however that could be becuase I upgraded to disks and have not managed to find a cooper brake compensator bias thing for disc type brakes, just using standard one).

So far so good! Car was booked in to go back to the painter to fix a couple of chips that occured during the rebuild, and then off to slark for the rolling road, ready for the L2B this weekend!

Here comes the bad news! It is noisey as hell!!!! Sounds dreadful, due to the gearbox being shagged! When I got the car I only ever drove it in first gear, on and off the trailer, in and out of the garage whilst the repair work was going on, and it started and ran fine, no smoke or issues only done 35k miles. So we never touched the gearbox, and that was a big mistake!!!

So another 200 in gearbox parts now sits on my garage floor, just waiting for me to find time to remove the engine, overall the box and put it all back together again! Its only 2 days work, but its 2 days I just dont have at the moment. I may try to find another box to overall so its a simple swap, but in the meatime it looks like another few weeks before my Hornet will see the road and I will have to do the L2B in my Mini -bugger!!!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed May 12, 2010 12:32 am

Sorry to hear of your troubles and sympathise with you.
This is exactly why I did not clean my Elf's engine and bay up when I restored it.
I too have found the gearbox noisy probably syncro and bearings worn? When I get the chance I will have the body off then I will be same position as yourself (except I won't know what I'm doing Very Happy )
Your Hornet looks really good, You must be proud of it. Well done so far
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Empty Gearbox

Post  DyNoRod Wed May 12, 2010 2:13 am

All the service parts for a gearbox come to about £250 (without my discount) and thats just the bearings, baskets, layshaft, baulk rings etc. The two big bearings come to £100 just for those when you include vat etc.

Still should be nice and smooth when sorted!

I will also use this as an oppertunity to check the big ends, and I decided to scrap the second-hand 731 cam I had in and go for a billet SW5 from swifttune.
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Wed May 12, 2010 2:55 am

'Appen check your diff bearings also Dyno!!!!!!
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Empty Gearbox

Post  DyNoRod Wed May 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Yep they are on the list too! Hopefully they should be ok.
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:15 pm

what an amazing project....

love it!

very well done!
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.elf-hornet-register.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  LOWTECH Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:06 am

Beautiful Car !! very nicely done.
LOWTECH
LOWTECH

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:49 am

Very nice work!

Such problems just happen. On my Riley I have lost oil pressure after getting the engine first time hot. A small debris has got under the oil pump gasket on the assembly and when the oil thined, it started to such in air Mad . Engine out-dissmantle-fix-assemble-engine in-repaint engine bay chips...

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  DyNoRod Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:46 am

Well, there has been some progress - engine came out on Friday, all new bearings in the gearbox, new shell bearings, new oil pumps, change of cam to an SW5, slightly lighter flywheel and sorted the cam timing - oh and while the engine was out I replaced the speedo (odometer of the old one was stuck at 2 miles), also stuck some soundproofing on the bulkhead, got the chrome trim to go over the arches and...... test drove for 6 miles! Gearbox felt brilliant, and lots more power than before (timing looks to have been out on previous set-up). Still 101 small jobs to finish, but at least I am back to where I was a month ago!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:14 am

And who did the other things instead of You (ie eating, sleeping etc)? Laughing

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Empty Progress

Post  DyNoRod Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:49 am

Hi All,

I have not been around, however in my absence my Dad did a little more work, so the bonnet release now works, the heater is fitting, heated screens wired up, and dash panels fitted (although the dash panels from Newtons are not the best fit! Pain to get in and even then there is a 1/2 inch gap between the panels and the speedo cluster (may have to make some of my own up).

A full day should see it all finished and ready to go back to the painter to fix the couple of chips caused on the rebuild!

Ad
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Empty Hornet

Post  DyNoRod Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:31 am

I am pleased to say that we managed to tie up most of the loose ends on Friday! Now the care is ready to go back to the painter to fix a few imprefections and chips (caused by me during rebuild). Then it will just need a bloody good clean and detail, and off to the rolling road.

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 35869_10

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 33991_10

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 110

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Untitl10

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 35852_10

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 36090_10

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 36950_10
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:37 am

Stunning car!

Very Happy

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  LOWTECH Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:02 am

GORGEOUS!
LOWTECH
LOWTECH

Back to top Go down

Post  CamelotR Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:52 am

Perfect work!!!

Very nice colour!

CamelotR

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:59 pm

now that is clean - well done cheers
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  mac Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:10 pm

STUNNING Cool
mac
mac

Back to top Go down

Post  DyNoRod Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:24 am

Thanks chaps, as you would expect it looks better from a distance, and if I was being critical (as I know all of us are) there are some things that I am not happy with, or would have liked to be better. However, I figured best to get it back on the road, and then I can tinker and get it perfect over the winter.

First proper outing will be at the White Horse country and classic car show, and then probably the next big one in September - forget which.
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Engine almost finished! Not the bloody body though! - Page 2 Empty Mats!

Post  DyNoRod Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:08 am

I'm not sure if this counts as a top tip or a warning! However, if you order mats from newton commercial they WILL come with little winged mini logos (you might be able to asked them to not put them on, however I dont know as I didnt asked them, as I didnt know they would come with them on).

Anyway, I managed to peel the mini logos off the mats, but it did leave a nasty mark behind! Sooo, I bought two Wolseley cloth badges from the Wolseley register, and then stuck over the rough carpet where the winged logos had been and it works a treat!

Am I being anal now..... Yes i know!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  DyNoRod Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:05 am

Well, I finally re collected the car from its second visit to the painter. Last few jobs finished - new track rod end (3rd new one due to faulty ones) radio installed, bonnet badge wired up, greased, stopped one wheel trim popping off, put new floats and tops on the carbs (old ones were sticking), re-fitted rear side trim, new rubber on the wiper wheels, petrol cap not sealing.

Then I drove it from Leeds to Oxford, and it didnt miss a beat, 70 all the way with no issues at all!! (although I wish I hadnt replaced the steering column bushes, steering doesnt easily reset itself, but i think it will once they get a little bit of wear. Oh! and the rev counter only illuminates with side-light and not main beam for some fecking reason!

Booked into Slark on Thursday for a good rolling road set-up with the carbs, then a weekend of cleaning and it should be ready for some shows! Defo entering concours at Stanford in September.

xx
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Shan't bother entering concours at Stanford now! lol Very Happy

(Actually I wasn't going to anyway because the Hornet that belongs to the guy from British Mini Club always wins - for some reason...... Rolling Eyes

Very Happy
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next