Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :)

+16
graham in aus
asahartz
whitebuffalo
David2010
Johnnypoopoopants
superworm
evlin64
paulsminis
Big_Al_Smith
humph
elfgirl
robinkritz1
TONYELF
Nick
Red Riley
Coco_ChanElf
20 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Interesting

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:22 pm

The one I have, that I believe to be original, is like extremely thick dense cardboard, the sort of stuff they used to put inside clipboards or hardback book covers. It's very simple, just shaped board with a fancy leatherette sort of print to it. But filthy, stinky and ripped, lol.

If I can find something similar I could use the one I have as a template, and I am happy to share the template if anyone else needs it. I assume the missing one is the same but in reverse (might be wrong!)
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Humph

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:46 pm

Is this the sort of thing you got?
http://www.gbcarparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CC%2DGBLiner

I was thinking if I could get some sort of heavy card board, of lining it with something like this stuff:
http://www.brimarc.com/products/Crushed-Velvet-Roll-463017.htm
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Dash / glovebox etc

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:32 pm

Ok, so I now have a plan for the dash area.

Dash is being reveneered by Chapman and Cliff, that should be on it's way back in the next week or so.

Meanwhile I have ordered soundproofing material (acoustic absorption foam) from www.soundinsulation.ie
That will go in the spaces.

I an going to make the new glove boxes myself using the existing card as a template. I found an amazing company that sell bookbinding supplies, they sell 3mm Millboard and black Arbetex leather cloth in morocco grain by the sheet. One sheet of each will be sufficient to do 2 if not 4 glove boxes, and the whole lot cost just over £20. Exc p&p. Www.hewit.com

I ordered a regular dashboard liner from Newton commercial for the 'floor' of the dash.

I guess we will embark on this odyssey the first weekend after the dash wood comes home so I will take loads of pics of the glove box assembly on case anyone else can benefit from it.
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Re: Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :)

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:56 pm

hope it all goes to plan Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Re: Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :)

Post  humph Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:15 pm

Coco_ChanElf wrote:Is this the sort of thing you got?
http://www.gbcarparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CC%2DGBLiner

That is the exact one I have. It's an ideal template, but like I say I'm not sure what the 'card' material is ais it deosn't seem like card to me. I'm reluctant to use card of hardboard that may deteriorate with damp, after all the car is in an unheated lockup most of it's time (just paranoid I think).

humph

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Existing card glovebox lining

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Just for interest, here are a couple of pics of the original glovebox.

Laying flattened:
dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 30102410

Close up to see the grain.
dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 31175810

Here it is standing up as though in place:

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 38554210

Obviously this one has warped over the years, so your concerns about damp are not entirely unfounded. (But if mine lasts even a fraction of the 50 years this one did, I will be pleased!)
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Coco's Dashboard from Chapman & Cliff

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:29 am

Here is Coco's dash back from Chapman & Cliff. The finish on it us quite extraordinary. I wanted the two grains but was a bit taken aback by the difference in tone between the two grains when it first arrived but it has really grown on me and certainly suits Coco. Can't wait to fit it, but Coco is tucked up warm in a neighbour's shed to see the worst of the winter out just now.

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Dash210

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Dash110

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Dash310

Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm

WOW, now that's a nice dash Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:02 pm

The dash is beyond lovely -- it is awesome. I hate to think what it would have cost! But it is probably worth every penny.

Paul
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty The damage

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:47 pm

I think it was 250 inc postage to Ireland. Since I was quoted 900 by another crowd, I consider this a bargain. Plus the two gentlemen at Chapman and Cliff are a delight to deal with, so pleasant and interesting. I would use them again in a heartbeat.
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:34 am

Coco_ChanElf wrote:I think it was 250 inc postage to Ireland. Since I was quoted 900 by another crowd, I consider this a bargain. Plus the two gentlemen at Chapman and Cliff are a delight to deal with, so pleasant and interesting. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

to my mind, that's pretty good - it looks great. "Rusty"'s (he's really a wolseley but won't show it!) Elf dash was french-polished by a professional (the boyfriend of Mum's reflexologist and my masseuse) for £125 at "mate's rates" and is not as good as yours Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Coco ChanElf - ongoing works

Post  robinkritz1 Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:07 am

This is truelly exquisite and quality work here well done
robinkritz1
robinkritz1

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Dash

Post  evlin64 Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:19 pm

[img][/img]

I have also had my dash restored by Chapman & Cliff great job and a pleasure to deal with I had the whole dash venered and the wood handels changed to chrome knobs as MG dash.

I have tryed to host a pic but do not think it has uploaded!!!
[img]dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Elf_da12[/img]

evlin64

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Nice!

Post  Coco_ChanElf Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:18 pm

I see you opted for burr throughout, that's nice too. Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  humph Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Droooooool Cool Lovely dash.

humph

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:02 am

Yo Coco

I used Millboard from Woolies Trim::

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-146-millboard.aspx

It has an embossed side like a leather effect (as per original Elf)...t'other side is matt black cardboard finish.

Problem was that it came via mail in a roll 1.55 metres by 1.24 metres and it finished up as a curved sheet....took a bit of straightening!

Price and quality are good though - maybe you could simply ask them to cut the sheet in half and send it in a flat pack??? (01778 347347)

Hope this helps.

btw, Spoke to Chapman & Cliff at the recent Classic Car Show - they are indeed a grand pair of lads and certainly not "Rip-Off" merchants
like some I've encountered! Their presentation of Dashes, etc was fantastic/

Cheers

Alan

superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:31 am

That all burl dash is very nice! For some reason I find it much more pleasing than the original two-tone veneers.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Overriders, headlining, WHEELS!

Post  Coco_ChanElf Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Today I took delivery of:-

4 hen's teeth (overriders! I'm so happy I could dance!)
5 sandblasted and silver painted original wheels
a lovely headlining.

Pics below! Smile))

Now I just need to find someone in Ireland who can professionally fit a headlining. Even the instructions are complicated!

Can't wait for the better weather to arrive, I've so much good stuff to go on Coco that I've been collecting over the winter. She's going to look magnificent! *grinning*.

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Overri10

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Wheels11

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Headli10
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:07 am

You seem to be doing well, the hens teeth don't look too bad , you should be able to have them rechromed.

As for the headlining, well, you look young enough to be able to crawl around in your Elf to do this but if you search for upholsterers in your area someone must do car seats should be able to help or recommend another?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  humph Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Exciting times, those overriders look pretty good. Two questions

1) Don't suppose you have a template for the glove boxes you made do you?

2) If you're going back to steels, what's happening with the minilites that were on the car? Embarassed

humph

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Humph

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:39 am

I can definitely knock you up a paper template if you email me your postal address. As to the minilites, will be keeping them for the time being, but if I do decide to sell them will let you know! Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty TonyElf

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:42 am

Thanks Tony, I would love to give the headlining a go, but I've heard it's such a total headwreck from people with much better skills than me, that I don't have the brass gaskets to try it all by myself, afterall I don't want to buy another one!! Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Dashboard, gloveboxes, steering cowl

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 pm

Today we gave Coco her first run since Dec., she started after three goes and ran perfectly. We got cracking and got the parcel shelf liner in, I cut it into two pieces and trimmed it down.

Next I trimmed down and installed my two home made gloveboxes. Either side of them we pushed in bits of sound proofing material. They look pretty good and are tough as old boots so hopefully they will last.

Finally, we refitted the dashboard, and it looks fabulous. The photos don't really do it justice because it's so shiny it's hard to get a good snap.

Anyway, very pleased with our afternoon's work! Smile

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Dash_i12

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Dash_i11

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Dash_i10[img][/img]
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:44 pm

When I first restored Syd I made some glove box liners out of the door cards in same colour (light blue) they helped reflect the light around and made it a little easier to find things, How are you finding the black liners so far? They look smart by the way.

Is it possible to fit them through the dash board holes????

Last edited by TONYELF on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : last question added)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 2 Empty Glovebox

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks Tony.

I must admit, it's like a black hole inside, not that it matters too much because all that's likely to be in there is a vintage first aid kit and a fancy pair of gloves! Smile. I think your coloured liner is a clever idea.

If I'd used the flimsier original Millboard I think if would have been possible to do keyhole surgery on the gloveboxes, however the Millboard I chose was so thick and hard there's no chance you could bend it sufficiently to get it in through the glovebox door.
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next