Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :)

+16
graham in aus
asahartz
whitebuffalo
David2010
Johnnypoopoopants
superworm
evlin64
paulsminis
Big_Al_Smith
humph
elfgirl
robinkritz1
TONYELF
Nick
Red Riley
Coco_ChanElf
20 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Re: Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :)

Post  asahartz Mon May 28, 2012 1:45 am

Something struck me there. The indicator stalk, has that been replaced from a later model? My '67 has a green light on the end of the indicator stalk, and so did the 1970 Elf I had. But my 71 and 72 Clubmans have the same stalk as yours, in a different column fairing (it has the steering lock on the top of the column, which is correct for early 70s).
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Re: Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :)

Post  Red Riley Mon May 28, 2012 3:50 am

asahartz wrote:Something struck me there. The indicator stalk, has that been replaced from a later model? My '67 has a green light on the end of the indicator stalk, and so did the 1970 Elf I had. But my 71 and 72 Clubmans have the same stalk as yours, in a different column fairing (it has the steering lock on the top of the column, which is correct for early 70s).
As I understand it, MKIII Elfs had the horn on the end of the indicator stalk (mine does), thus the larger, non-horn-push wheel center and no green blinky light end thing. Although there seem to be differences on cars based on when they left the factory and what parts got put on.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Indicator stalk

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon May 28, 2012 2:08 pm

There's nothing to indicate (see what I did there?) that the stalk has been changed. I thought that all Mk II cars and earlier had the funky flasher stalk and the beep beep wheel centre, and Mk III models had the non-beep centre and the horn on the stalk like mine. But then, everything I learned about it has been from consensus opinion here, I'm always ready to learn different.
Also, I thought they ceased Elf production in 1969, I didn't know you could get a 1970 Elf! Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  humph Mon May 28, 2012 4:12 pm

My '69 Mk3 has the same indicator stalk as in the picture. Can't guarantee it's original though.

humph

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Indicator Odyssey cont.

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon May 28, 2012 6:39 pm

Whilst on the subject of the indicator stalk; I have, I think established that the metal end on mine ought to be chromed. I've acquired a tin of chrome spray, but - is there a way to remove it to do it? Can you just prise it out?
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon May 28, 2012 7:41 pm

It unscrews Ali, (wear a marigold when trying to undo it, it will give grip), then you will see its like an insulated cone with a thin brass ring, (that makes the circuit) worth cleaning this too!

Nick

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Thanks Nick!

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon May 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks a million. Off to find my rubber gloves!! Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Nick

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon May 28, 2012 7:54 pm

That worked like a charm, thank you so much! Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Mon May 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Bless! My pleasure, glad its worked! Very Happy

Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Mon May 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Coco_ChanElf wrote:There's nothing to indicate (see what I did there?) that the stalk has been changed. I thought that all Mk II cars and earlier had the funky flasher stalk and the beep beep wheel centre, and Mk III models had the non-beep centre and the horn on the stalk like mine. But then, everything I learned about it has been from consensus opinion here, I'm always ready to learn different.
Also, I thought they ceased Elf production in 1969, I didn't know you could get a 1970 Elf! Smile
RRU328H, '69 model but not registered until 1970. However I was wrong, that one did have the later indicator stalk.

However my '67 MkIII definitely has the flashing stalk and the centre push horn. Clearly some differences in what parts were fitted when.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Yes

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon May 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Interesting! Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Delay with upholstery

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:37 am

Had a call from the upholsterer, he's off on his holidays for two weeks so sadly the seats won't be ready this week as I'd hoped. Since there are no seats in Coco, we can't drive her anywhere, so we have to be content washing her and putting her curlers in, and doing little tinkering jobs like chrome spraying the little inner metal piece of the indicator stalk. I could not figure out how to get this out to paint it, but Nick gave me the brilliant tip of rubber gloves for grip and it worked like an absolute charm. I hope to have the last coat on this today, so might have a photo later.

So that this isn't a completely boring post, yesterday we had a visit from David2010 who brought over his new Morris Cooper Rally Mini to show us. Here is a gratuitous shot. It's absolutely awesome.

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 12060110
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:33 pm

asahartz wrote:
Coco_ChanElf wrote:There's nothing to indicate (see what I did there?) that the stalk has been changed. I thought that all Mk II cars and earlier had the funky flasher stalk and the beep beep wheel centre, and Mk III models had the non-beep centre and the horn on the stalk like mine. But then, everything I learned about it has been from consensus opinion here, I'm always ready to learn different.
RRU328H, '69 model but not registered until 1970. However I was wrong, that one did have the later indicator stalk.

However my '67 MkIII definitely has the flashing stalk and the centre push horn. Clearly some differences in what parts were fitted when.

my two are both 1968 mk III but whereas JVG (late '68) had the later push-horn indicator stalk, Rusty (early '68) has the earlier green flashy end stalk and floor mounted dip switch. a case of the factory using up the last bits of mkII production methinks...
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Hey, get your carwashed today!

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Gave Coco the full monty this morning, lovely and shiny now! Waiting for my lambswool buffer thingy to dry after I washed it, so this was buffed by hand. Thought my arms were going to fall off!

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 12060210

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 12060213

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 12060214

...and then this afternoon it rained biblically. Luckily I'd had the foresight to put her covers on before we went out for the afternoon.

Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:15 pm

She looks really nice Ali, a credit to you (and a drain on your finances!)

I washed and serviced my caravan the other day and took me all day! I'd rather do the Elf it's easier!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Thanks!

Post  Coco_ChanElf Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:16 am

Tony, I think a caravan would kill me! But I would have a whale of a time making curtains and cushion covers etc! Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:26 am

My mate has a cleaning business; I'm happy to pay him £25 to clean my caravan!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Brace yourselves...

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Today I fitted some blanking grommets to the body work. I know you're as excited about this as I am. Smile

I also took delivery of a pair of tex mirrors that I am going to fit to the doors. I have decided to bite the bullet and go for those, as all things considered they seem to be more sturdy etc. that the pinch mounted ones. Will let you know how that pans out!!

Still patiently awaiting upholstery news...
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Upholstery and Carpets

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Coco is finally back from the upholsterers with her new leather seats, door cards, carpets etc.
I am really pleased. All the dithering about the colour was worthwhile as she really looks neat. You can also see the under seat baskets I got from Bill now in situ.
Taking her Monday to get her radio installed and she's "finished". Smile
Can't wait to get her to a little show and sat next to another Elf for company!

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 12080110

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 12080111

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 12080112

Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Few more

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:56 pm

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 12080113

Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty UPHOLSTERY & CARPETS :

Post  David2010 Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi Ali,
Coco looks better than when it left the production line back in 1968 !
Have you been able to contact your Elf owning neighbour - Bernard McCormick ?
As you have no doubt seen by now, Bernard's Elf is featured in the August edition
of the Irish Vintage Scene magazine.
It might be possible to request the magazine's editor Tom Heavey that Bernard contact
you - with a view to the two Elfs getting together for a spot of " I'll show you mine if you
show me yours".
David2010.
David2010
David2010

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Hi David

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks David. You're always welcome to come by and have a gander yourself if you like.
I haven't seen the Irish Vintage Scene for July, the newsagents have sold out. Sad
If you have a copy I'd love to see it and yes, try to track down this neighbour. Where's he from?
Smile

Edit - I see you said it's the August edition, in which case I'll try tomorrow!
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty VZL-53 - Elf MK.3 - Co.Meath :

Post  David2010 Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:28 am

Hi Ali,
Bernard McCormick (according to Irish Vintage Scene magazine) lives in Mullagh, Co.Meath.
According to the A.A., Mullagh is exactly 10 miles from you if you take the Dunboyne to Summerhill / Rathmoylan road.
Did not check with Directory Enquiries for his phone no.though !
If you can arrange a meet with Bernard - maybe we could arrange for all 3 Elfs to meet !
David2010.
David2010
David2010

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty Cheers David

Post  Coco_ChanElf Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:03 pm

Will see if I can get in touch with him. Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

dash repair - Coco ChanElf - almost 'finished' :) - Page 4 Empty David - Re. Irish Vintage Scene Elf

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:34 am

David, I managed to get hold of a copy and to see Bernard's Elf pictured. It's nice. Quite a few modifications to the interior - it'll be interesting to see in the flesh. I dropped a message via their website to the magazine asking them to pass Bernard my phone number, if he gets in touch perhaps we could have a little meetup? If I can get in touch with Taz in Leixlip we could have 4 together. Could be fun!! Smile
Ali
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next