Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement engines.

+4
steviem
catmint
Red Riley
TONYELF
8 posters

Go down

Replacement engines. Empty Replacement engines.

Post  TONYELF Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:08 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not entirely a mini related subject but I thought a few peeps may (or may not) like to know the following.
I'm sure Kelvin Webb (Clwyd Practical Classics Club)won't mind me passing this on but he has read that there is to be some changes from the DVLA regarding engine changes.

The DVLA are refusing to issue V5C registration documents to owners of re-engined classic cars- unless they can show the exchanged engine's history.

The move is understood to be one of a raft of measures designed to help prevent car and component theft by introducing an element of traceability into the system.

Classic car owners will now have to give details of the engines supplier, along with full details of the car it came from.

Failure to supply this information could render the re-engined car unusable on UK roads.

This means an end to the installation of used engines which have sat around in garages for years, waiting for their moment to come once more,evenif they are the same type.

This also prevents enthusiasts re-engining their cars with used engines of a different specification such as V8's in MGB's and TR7's

I guess this is going to upset a lot of people (it has me) I am only passing the message on so please don't shoot the messenger! If you have heard differently please do comment.
Tony
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Replacement engines. Empty Re: Replacement engines.

Post  Red Riley Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:08 am

Huh. Glad I'm not in the UK, at least on this issue!
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:23 pm

easy to get around - just transfer the original engine number on the new lump, problem solved - if it is to a different type of engine, just alter the cc. More bureaucratic rubbish

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Lets hope you're right Gordon, I have a doner car for replacement engine for my mini van ( a 1275 open classic which I've started to cut up) I hope to use back end as a trailer which technically I will probably have to notify them I've "scrapped it" ?
I must admit that I haven't seen anything official to substantiate my thread above so it could be hearsay although I would not put it past the buggers to do something like this to drive classics off the road!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  steviem Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:47 pm

catmint wrote:easy to get around - just transfer the original engine number on the new lump, problem solved - if it is to a different type of engine, just alter the cc. More bureaucratic rubbish

they calling that ringing though Laughing
steviem
steviem

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:32 am

Zef
Zef

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:44 am

Thanks ZEF. at least that simplifies it a bit I think!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:53 am

steviem wrote:

they calling that ringing though Laughing

Never said it was above board Very Happy

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:52 pm

It doesn't say how you get round the problem of no engine number at all...

Let's face it, unless you are a dab hand with a junior hacksaw and a gert screwdriver, it is nigh on impossible to remove an A-series engine number for rebore purposes without buggering it up.
At least one of my 1380s has no identifying marks at all, and the engine builder didn't provide a reciept.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:49 am

Alex wrote:It doesn't say how you get round the problem of no engine number at all...

Let's face it, unless you are a dab hand with a junior hacksaw and a gert screwdriver, it is nigh on impossible to remove an A-series engine number for rebore purposes without buggering it up.
At least one of my 1380s has no identifying marks at all, and the engine builder didn't provide a reciept.

there is a secret to this process - the plate with the numbers can be removed and replaced (carefully) without leaving any evidence of tampering. i know how to do it (though i never have) and have seen it done! Shocked
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Oh I know how to move the numbers, but what happens when you get an engine that has been rebored and the number removed - it has to be taken off to allow the boring bar to sit flat...
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  psychobob Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:54 pm

there was a mention in classic car magazine recently stating that pre 73' cars wouldn't be effected. i think the idea is to clamp down on iffy boy racer cars rather than us sensible(?) classic owners. hope that's right as my 1275 block came of ebay and i still havn't sent the log book off!
psychobob
psychobob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down