Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elf bumper bolt spacers

5 posters

Go down

Elf bumper bolt spacers Empty Elf bumper bolt spacers

Post  SteveP Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:29 am

I'm looking for a source for spacers (distance piece) that were on my Elf bumper bolts. The center holes are spuare to prevent the bolts from turning when removing the nuts. The nuts were rusted on pretty good and the bolts still turned rounding the centers of some of the spacers. Are these an original part or an add on?

Someone on another forum said the part # and name was "ALA 4738 distance piece" he found in an old parts manual but didin't know of a source.

In case the picture doesn't post, they are about 3/4 inch long, oval with a center square hole.
Thank you, Steve

Picture doesn't seem to be working. Please click on link at bottom of page tp see photo.

Elf bumper bolt spacers Bumper13

https://i.servimg.com/u/f42/13/42/54/44/bumper14.jpg
SteveP
SteveP

Back to top Go down

Elf bumper bolt spacers Empty Re: Elf bumper bolt spacers

Post  catmint Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:19 am

Hi Steve

Yes these are supposed to be there. It is not essential that the holes are oval as it is the oval hole in the bumper that is supposed to stop the bolts turning, I think the hole was this shape for ease of alignment when the car was built.

There might be someone on later who has a few spare, but failing that try either somerford or a better bet may be m-machine as they do have a stock of second hand bits

Gordon

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:51 pm

There should be some "C" washers too. They hold the spacers onto the bumper so you can align them all at once. Saves a LOT of time.
Mine had rusted away and broke up when I replaced the bolts. I managed to fit them using cotton thread on the bolt thread. Not exactly 100% successful but I got there in the end!
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveP Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Thank you for the replies. Steve
SteveP
SteveP

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:58 am

they come up on ebay now and then too
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Elf bumper bolt spacers Empty Bumper Spacers

Post  Elf Service Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:23 am

These are made from what looks like either lead or a soft Lead/Tin Alloy. You can make your own by using a good undamaged spacer as a template and making a plaster of paris mould and melting some lead or soft solder in a small metal dish over a gas flame/blow lamp etc. To keep the lead/solder clean and free from oxidation, try using a little plumbers solder flux. The results can be nearly as good as the original.
Give it a go as it is quite easy and the materials are cheap and easy to obtain.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:53 pm

I was going to suggest plastic but that may be too soft and allow the bolt to turn defeating the object! Evil or Very Mad
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:23 pm

Elf Service wrote:These are made from what looks like either lead or a soft Lead/Tin Alloy. You can make your own by using a good undamaged spacer as a template and making a plaster of paris mould and melting some lead or soft solder in a small metal dish over a gas flame/blow lamp etc. To keep the lead/solder clean and free from oxidation, try using a little plumbers solder flux. The results can be nearly as good as the original.
Give it a go as it is quite easy and the materials are cheap and easy to obtain.

bloody good idea old chap! Smile
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down