Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bumper help!!!!

3 posters

Go down

Bumper help!!!! Empty Bumper help!!!!

Post  Denny1965 Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Ive remover my front bumper with no problem what so ever. However the overrides aren't coming of willingly. Plus the rear bumper, one final bolt is just spinning. Cannot hold it for love nor money. The holes in the bumper are square-ish as well but a couple are round. Any ideas on how to rectify this??

Denny1965

Back to top Go down

Bumper help!!!! Empty Re: Bumper help!!!!

Post  RobBFG Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:10 am

The bumpers have almost rectangular holes that the bolts go through and it sounds like one of those has rounded out. The spacer block that sits between the bumper and the body panel lip also has the rectangular hole so you might be able to grip that somehow. The only other thing I can suggest is cutting a slot in the head of the bolt and undo it that way. New bolts can be found on ebay or from Sommerford Minis for a reasonable price. Just make sure you keep hold of the spacer blocks as I'm not aware of a source for them.

The bolts in my over-riders were very stiff when I removed mine. In fact one bolt snapped when I was trying to remove it and I had to drill out the remains. I think the only real answer here is WD40 and carefull pressure on the spanner. The over-riders themselves seem quite well built when it comes to these bolts. My replacement bolts are copper grease and have locking nuts on them now.
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Post  Denny1965 Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Thank you very much

Denny1965

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:00 am

I use Stainless steel bolts (& locknuts) on my overiders. I have also turned up little nylon caps to prevent the ends of the bolts digging into the bumper..

Drat...I say bolts, I mean SCREWS...which are threaded the full length.

I got my screws via the Classic Car show from Wrights - they had stainless screws at the show!!! (5/16" by 3")

http://www.wrightsautosupplies.co.uk/category/68-UNF.htm

"Stainless Steve" also sells these at the car shows and Autojumbles around the country - you'll recognise him by his headgear!!!!

Note that the spacer blocks noted above by Rob are normally held in place by little circlips to prevent them dropping off when refitting your bumper.

Cheers

superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down