Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May

+3
elfgirl
discoman41
DyNoRod
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty First 51 cars!

Post  elfgirl Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:50 pm

Rejected Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

You know I said all's fair... well,....... I might have changed my mind - I'm gutted!!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty Elf

Post  DyNoRod Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:47 am

Sorry!
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty Re: London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May

Post  elfgirl Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:38 am

DyNoRod wrote:Sorry!

It's OK, I've calmed down now!!

It saves me having to worry about that extra dab of polish Smile
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty Re: London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May

Post  Big_Al_Smith Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:31 pm

you can always polish mine with that extra dab you'll have free! Laughing
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty Matron!!!!

Post  discoman41 Fri May 01, 2009 12:58 am

Big_Al_Smith wrote:you can always polish mine with that extra dab you'll have free! Laughing

Ooh er missus! (Said in Frankie Howerd voice followed by a Sid James laugh!) lol!

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty Variants at L2B

Post  elfgirl Fri May 08, 2009 11:43 pm

Hey Adam, just seen the post on Twitter

" World record attempt cannot include variants e.g. mokes, hornets, Elfs etc! Crappy rule but hey! So those drivers get out separately!"

Any thoughts or plans on how and when those drivers get out, bizarrely it's looking better not to get into the park at all and just park up, pick up the pack and head off -I'm desperatly trying convince Al to join the convey but I have to say if we're forced to hang around towards the end and after the world record attempt I'm seriously tempted to skip CP all together get some extra sleep and just head straight to Brighton - but that kinda defeats the whole point of the day!

I was really looking forward to this one - I have to say I'm a bit deflated now, not in the 51 (fair enough, tho I will be giving the 68 entry a very good look over- it'd better be good LOL !!) but also not in the world record attempt.... there's only so much rejection a girl (and a club) can take!!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty The famous 51

Post  Elf Service Sat May 09, 2009 12:18 am

There will at least be one Elf in the 51 line up which has won several prizes. Its either a 65 or 66 Mk11 in grey. Sorry if this has upset you but I thought you may be able to handle the news now better than on the day.
The owner is coming down from Yorkshire and has 3 Elf models a very early Mk1(Feb 1962), a Mk11 and a Mk111. All are or close to show winning condition. Green with envy or what!! Crying or Very sad

Hope to see some of the register members next Sunday but not in the Elf as I'm travelling down in my every day modern tin box.

Andrew
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Sat May 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Elf Service wrote:There will at least be one Elf in the 51 line up which has won several prizes. Its either a 65 or 66 Mk11 in grey. Sorry if this has upset you but I thought you may be able to handle the news now better than on the day.
The owner is coming down from Yorkshire and has 3 Elf models a very early Mk1(Feb 1962), a Mk11 and a Mk111. All are or close to show winning condition. Green with envy or what!! Crying or Very sad

Hope to see some of the register members next Sunday but not in the Elf as I'm travelling down in my every day modern tin box.

Andrew

That hasn't upset me at all - I'm really pleased as I didn't think anyone else had applied! Mine is a daily, so far from the best example. It's much better to have Elf and hornets represented by a show winner - I'm really pleased we'll be in the line-up, I look forward to seeing it (and you) on the day.

BTW, please don't take me too seriously, I can handle most things! Underneath this senstive exterior I am fairly thick skinned - or maybe that should be the other way 'round LOL.
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty L2B

Post  DyNoRod Sun May 10, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi All!

Believe me I hate it as much as you! A Elf or Hornet is much closer to being a Mini than a MINI, however they are not my rules, and Guinness only just provided me with the clarification on Friday. The exact rules say " The record is for the greatest number of vehicles of the same make / marque starting and completing a parade route. All vehicles must carry the same name badge (e.g. Ford, Rolls Royce, Volkswagen); it is not sufficent for the vehicles to be merely produced by the same parent company e.g. BMC.

Even the Elf picked for the First 51 will have to be diverted!

I can understand that you might want to skip Crystal Palace, and that really is up to you, many people do it, although please do not worry, those not eligable for the parade will not be made to wait until the end, they will leave in the queue with all the others, but just as the parade starts they will be sent left out of the middle exit.

Sorry!

Ad
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Sun May 10, 2009 7:28 pm

DyNoRod wrote:Hi All!

Believe me I hate it as much as you! A Elf or Hornet is much closer to being a Mini than a MINI, however they are not my rules, and Guinness only just provided me with the clarification on Friday. The exact rules say " The record is for the greatest number of vehicles of the same make / marque starting and completing a parade route. All vehicles must carry the same name badge (e.g. Ford, Rolls Royce, Volkswagen); it is not sufficent for the vehicles to be merely produced by the same parent company e.g. BMC.

Even the Elf picked for the First 51 will have to be diverted!

I can understand that you might want to skip Crystal Palace, and that really is up to you, many people do it, although please do not worry, those not eligable for the parade will not be made to wait until the end, they will leave in the queue with all the others, but just as the parade starts they will be sent left out of the middle exit.

Sorry!

Ad

Thanks, I was just about to get on here and say I'd picked up your e-mail with the plans - but you beat me too it.

See you there! Thanks for all the hard work.
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sun May 10, 2009 11:19 pm

DyNoRod wrote:The exact rules say " The record is for the greatest number of vehicles of the same make / marque starting and completing a parade route. All vehicles must carry the same name badge (e.g. Ford, Rolls Royce, Volkswagen); it is not sufficent for the vehicles to be merely produced by the same parent company e.g. BMC.

Just thought I'd chime in with my two cents worth. Or would it be two pence worth? Anyway, if that is the ruling, then wouldn't the record attempt need to be all Austin or all Morris Minis? Seems to me that it would be equally appropriate to try and set a record for the most Riley Elfs or Wolseley Hornets. Anyone know what the current record is for them? Or if there even is a current record? Might be really easy to set a record if one doesn't exist already.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty Most Elf and Hornet Convoy.

Post  Elf Service Mon May 11, 2009 12:23 am

Red Riley wrote:
DyNoRod wrote:The exact rules say " The record is for the greatest number of vehicles of the same make / marque starting and completing a parade route. All vehicles must carry the same name badge (e.g. Ford, Rolls Royce, Volkswagen); it is not sufficent for the vehicles to be merely produced by the same parent company e.g. BMC.

Just thought I'd chime in with my two cents worth. Or would it be two pence worth? Anyway, if that is the ruling, then wouldn't the record attempt need to be all Austin or all Morris Minis? Seems to me that it would be equally appropriate to try and set a record for the most Riley Elfs or Wolseley Hornets. Anyone know what the current record is for them? Or if there even is a current record? Might be really easy to set a record if one doesn't exist already.

Brilliant idea and as you say, it shouldn't be too difficult to set a record as I doubt if anyone has attempted this before.
As the Register membership is now quite large, we could possibly organise a suitable venue/place of interest to cater for most if not all tastes, have a say 25 mile run and return back to the start point. Any ideas? (sorry if this excludes members outside the UK).

If this works out and the attendance is good, we could possibly hold our own annual rally/get together at different locations around the UK and maybe further. Again any suggestions? With 2011 being the 50th year for the Elf and Hornet then perhaps a trial run next year and The Big One in 2011. All pipe dreams I know but I'm sure there will be sufficient interest to look into the logistics etc.

Andrew
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon May 11, 2009 10:27 pm

When I took part in the record run in Blackpool.(269) Guiness Book of Records wanted both minis and MINIs all together on a public highway at same time with no breaks ie any other cars in the line up. I do not remember any variants in the line up.
The Lancashire Police were very helpful (for a change!) They made a one way system in a country lane to allow the minis to line up on both sides of the carriage way. When all were ready. They stopped the traffic at a roundabout and allowed us to drive out onto a dual carriageway for two miles to another roundabout and back again, It was a fantastic sight to see all the first cars coming back on other carriageway .Thousands of spectators were lining the route and waving. The minis were tooting their horns , kids came out in their dressing gowns to cheer us on. Brilliant! Smile

Back to Andrews suggestion. I think this is a great idea but is going to take some organising, especially via this website?????
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Tue May 12, 2009 11:06 am

TONYELF wrote:When I took part in the record run in Blackpool.(269) Guiness Book of Records wanted both minis and MINIs all together on a public highway at same time with no breaks ie any other cars in the line up. I do not remember any variants in the line up.
The Lancashire Police were very helpful (for a change!) They made a one way system in a country lane to allow the minis to line up on both sides of the carriage way. When all were ready. They stopped the traffic at a roundabout and allowed us to drive out onto a dual carriageway for two miles to another roundabout and back again, It was a fantastic sight to see all the first cars coming back on other carriageway .Thousands of spectators were lining the route and waving. The minis were tooting their horns , kids came out in their dressing gowns to cheer us on. Brilliant! Smile

Back to Andrews suggestion. I think this is a great idea but is going to take some organising, especially via this website?????

Last August I was part of the (current) world record for the most cars of a single make (Subaru) forming a mosaic - spelling out the name of Colin McCrae and the Scottish Flag using 1500+ Subarus. That record was officially recognised and broke the previous record held by Fiat. We also attempted to break the World Record for a convoy - but this proved virtually impossible on the open road - even with Police Subaru Interceptors involved - as normal road users kept breaking up any convoy attempt thus making it void. We then switched the attempt to the Prodrive testing track in Banbury - but 1500+ Subarus in Convoy was actually more than the length of the track, and the front end of the convoy overtook the stationery, still queuing rear end, thus meaning that part of the convoy was not actually rolling, and the strict rules meant that the attempt failed.

It's harder than you might think!!

Having said that - the noise from all those Suby engines revving at the same time was symphonic!!! Laughing

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty Thanks and well done!

Post  elfgirl Sun May 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Just a quick message to say what a fantatic L2B it was! Massive congratulations and enormous thanks to all the LSMOC organisers - especially our very own Adam!

Naturally I did give the first 51 a good looking over - the 68 police car was absolutely amazing and Peter's elf was indeed a stunning example - you definately made the right decision (but then you knew that already Very Happy ).

Unfortunately for those of you looking for pics of the day I put my boy in charge of the camera, so we've got lots of bits of random bonnets and not much else - I took some good shots of the kids playing mini- golf, but I don't suppose that's particularly relevant on this forum!!

So, thanks again to all involved - you even managed to get us a few hours of glorious sun sunny
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 am

Where they happy to take your money on this run? Question
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

London to Brighton 2009 - 16th/17th May - Page 2 Empty London to Brighton Sunday 17th

Post  Elf Service Mon May 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Well I managed to get down to see how they do things down South and wow what a great show. The 51 parade was impressive and as mentioned, Peter's Elf was as good as you can get. Just wait until you see his early Mk1 Yellow and Blue Elf next year. I met up with Big Al and Ray but as the show was spread our over a least a couple of miles, it was pretty difficult to meet other register members.
The weather played a big role with the time available as at 10.00am when we arrived, the heavens opened and to see the main High Street turned into a 3inch river with water cascading over gutterings, was like we had been hit by a monsoon The thought of turning around and heading back to the Midlands was a serious consideration. However within 30 minutes the sky was blue with no clouds and with a brisk sea breeze, the roads and paths were dry in no time. Good old British weather.
They certainly know how to charge in their carparks, £12.00 for just over 4 hours and on a Sunday. Just as well the entrance to the show was free. The Harvester restaurant by the Pier served up a very resonable meal so all in all a great day.
With the weather playing a serious part in the journey from London, I have never seen so many broken down Minis. There were breakdown recovery vehicles waiting to help the stranded cars. Speaking with Peter, he said he had no real problems with his Elf and was able to maintain a steady 60mph except during the real heavy rain.

Hope to visit again.

Andrew
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2