Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steering column support bracket problem

2 posters

Go down

Steering column support bracket problem Empty Steering column support bracket problem

Post  bmcelf Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:07 am

I am having a problem removing the bracket from the dash that supports the steering column. Its the two bolts that are bolted to the dash. On my Elf there are fixed nuts on the dash and bolts from the bottom attaching the bracket. One is a 1/4" bolt through the upper nut with its own nut--no problem. The other is a bolt into the welded on nut, but the bolt has NO head with flats. It is conical shaped. Nothing to grab with pliers.

How do you get that bolt loose??? I am at the point of cutting flats or drilling the thing out.

Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Steering column support bracket problem Empty Re: Steering column support bracket problem

Post  catmint Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi Jim

You need to drill it out - It is a shear bolt that is put in at the factory. The head snaps off when it reaches a certain torque leaving nothing to grab hold off on the car, the idea being that it makes the car less desirable to thieves because the have to do some work for a change !. Pilot drill initially then use a drill slightly larger than the bolt thread which will take the head off and the bracket should fall off. The remaining stud should come out with pliers

Hope this helps

Gordon

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Steering column support bracket problem Empty Re: Steering column support bracket problem

Post  bmcelf Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:40 am

I ground off tow sides and made some flats. Visegrips had the grip to loosen it up just fine. It took a while but the task was accomplished. I chased the threads on the weldnut bracket and used regular hexhead bolts. The clamp bolt bolt came out fine without braking the head off. Those type bolts are a nightmare for restorers. Just wondering are original bolts like that are available?

Thanks, Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:08 pm

bmcelf wrote:I ground off tow sides and made some flats. Visegrips had the grip to loosen it up just fine. It took a while but the task was accomplished. I chased the threads on the weldnut bracket and used regular hexhead bolts. The clamp bolt bolt came out fine without braking the head off. Those type bolts are a nightmare for restorers. Just wondering are original bolts like that are available?

Thanks, Jim

glad you got it sorted -never though of grinding flats on Rolling Eyes yes they are still available -minispares

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down