Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

exhaust system

+8
spongebob
Elf Service
whitebuffalo
JMH
Big_Al_Smith
discoman41
Red Riley
NorthernElf
12 posters

Go down

exhaust system Empty exhaust system

Post  NorthernElf Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 pm

Just wondering if there still available new, Just taken mine of and it runs from original manifold straight to back box (no middle box). I'm not refitting this just wondering whether it might be worth sticking on EBay or use to anyone on here the backbox has been welded to reduce the size were it meets the rest of the system but it sat well and looks newish.

Not sure what a standard system looks like?

NorthernElf

Back to top Go down

exhaust system Empty Re: exhaust system

Post  Red Riley Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 am

I guess most just use a standard Mini setup and extend the tailpipe. Not sure since my original system is long gone.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Mini Pickup exhausts will fit (same length).

I had mine made up by Maniflo exhaust systems. Comes with an extendable tailpipe.

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:34 pm

jvg's exhaust is a 2" cooper single box system with a bit of transit van exhaust on the end - noisy but fun Very Happy

original fitment was a twin box affair with very small diameter pipe
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  JMH Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:47 pm

The system that "fell off" mine over Chrismas was an original pattern single box system. The std "current" twin box system goes straight on, with a small extension to the tail pipe. If you sleeve it, you even get an extra 1/8" for that "big bore" look from the rear - Wow!
Seriously though, when the twin-box system is so cheap, why try & get (or make) a single box system when the centre box is well hidden under the car anyway?
I was thinking of fitting a pick-up exhaust, but was told by the supplier that the wheel-base of a pick-up is longer as well, so it's not just the tail-pipe where the extra length is & a pick-up system wouldn't fit. Not having a pick-up myself, I had no reason to doubt this.

JH

JMH

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 pm

I fit a small bore RC40 exhaust to my Elf from a Mini and the exhaust pipe just exits under the rear valance. All I need is a sleeve to get the exhaust to clear the bumper.
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

http://www.moala.org

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:56 pm

JMH wrote:I was thinking of fitting a pick-up exhaust, but was told by the supplier that the wheel-base of a pick-up is longer as well, so it's not just the tail-pipe where the extra length is & a pick-up system wouldn't fit. Not having a pick-up myself, I had no reason to doubt this.

JH

You were misquoted. The first job I had to do when I got my Elf was to replace the exhaust. Took one off a Mini Pickup sat rotting in a scrapyard (initially as a temp measure), and did the straight swap - no problem at all! Lasted 3 years before it blew and I opted for the RC40 system from Maniflo.

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:37 am

Owning both Booted Mini's and standard saloons, the floor pan is the same other than the Elf and Hornet extended boot. The Mini Van, Pick-up and Traveller/estate are longer due to an extended floor pan, thus pushing back the rear subframe. As the exhaust is clamped to the rear subframe, the length between the exhaust manifold/downpipe bracket and the rear subframe is different to the saloons and Elf/Hornets. You may be able to fit an exhaust from a Van/Pick-up etc but I expect you will need to modify to rear mounting arrangement. The only difference between the saloon and Elf/Hornet exhaust is the extended tail pipe. If you intend using a standard bore saloon exhaust system, you can choose either a single or twin box and have an extension piece either welded to the new system or call in at a local exhaust fitter and ask if they have a suitable piece of steel pipe which will slide over the new pipe. This will give you some flexibility when adjusting the pipe position. I know there seems to be some confusion over which pipe will fit etc but the wheel base on the van and pick-up is longer than the Elf/Hornet and standard Mini saloon. When next at a Mini show (BMC show at Stafford this weekend if you are interested), take a tape measure and check if you are unsure (Saloon and Elf/Hornet is just over 80" between hub centres where as the Pick-up, Van etc is just over 85"). Good luck which ever system you choose.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:12 pm

I suppose the Pickup I took my exhaust off may have had the wrong exhaust on it in the first place, but i honestly didn't have a problem. Unless of course my rear bracket is located in the wrong place?

I had more of a problem fitting the RC40! Smile

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

exhaust system Empty moveable hangers

Post  spongebob Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:10 am

The exhaust hangers are just loops around the pipe so can be positioned anywhere along its length, silencer permitting of course, the silencer box sits below the lne of the subframe anyway so wont foul the body if its positioned farther back.
both pick-up and saloon are still made by bosal although its a slightly larger bore than the tiny original.
spongebob
spongebob

Back to top Go down

exhaust system Empty moveable hangers

Post  spongebob Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:11 am

The exhaust hangers are just loops around the pipe so can be positioned anywhere along its length, silencer permitting of course, the silencer box sits below the lne of the subframe anyway so wont foul the body if its positioned farther back.
both pick-up and saloon are still made by bosal although its a slightly larger bore than the tiny original.
spongebob
spongebob

Back to top Go down

Post  sebillba Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:15 pm

sebillba
sebillba

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:31 am

A bit pricey to my mind (for the low mileage I do anyway) apart from that I always thought the hotter the exhaust the faster the exhaust gases get away, If the whole exhaust is stainless steel it would cool down very quick and therefore make the car inefficient and uneconomical.
I don't profess to know all about engines but I have noticed "souped up " minis with the exhaust pipes wrapped and presumed my first statement may be correct?

On the other side (I mean the inlet) My son in law says the F.A.R.T system is the way to go.
F.A.R.T being Fresh Air Ram Technology. (I bet I had you going for a moment there!) The theory being that a more direct the air is drawn into the carb (cold air being more dense) the better? This means a inlet pipe from front of car direct to the carb via the air filter of course and not like my mk2 elf with its filter inlet pipe direct over the exhaust manifaold to warm the incoming air. Do other members have conflicting views on this?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:18 am

Yo Tony

(cold air being more dense) the better? This means a inlet pipe from front of car direct to the carb via the air filter of course and not like my mk2 elf with its filter inlet pipe direct over the exhaust manifaold to warm the incoming air. Do other members have conflicting views on this?

Don't forget that you are supposed to move the filter inlet pipe away from the exhaust manifold in the summer months (that short period of time when its not brass monkey weather!!!). It is not impossible that, with the present Global Freezing phenomenon, our carbs would easily ice-up according to Boyle's Law of Thermodynamics (ie. as the air goes into the carb, the venturi effect speeds up the air, reducing its pressure (so it sucks up the fuel) and so its temperature drops below the ambient)

Ram air is good imho - that is why some racers opt for the Amal carbs on a cross-flow head. Methinks for our normal purposes, what is standard (or, in my case, a couple of "pancake" airfilters) is adequate.

Cheers

Alan
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Elf Service wrote:Owning both Booted Mini's and standard saloons, the floor pan is the same other than the Elf and Hornet extended boot. The Mini Van, Pick-up and Traveller/estate are longer due to an extended floor pan, thus pushing back the rear subframe. As the exhaust is clamped to the rear subframe, the length between the exhaust manifold/downpipe bracket and the rear subframe is different to the saloons and Elf/Hornets.

Even so, the estate exhaust will fit, as that's what I have on my Elf!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down