Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required.

4 posters

Go down

Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required. Empty Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required.

Post  FrogElf Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:45 am

Hi Guys
As part of my restoration I am patching up a lot of Holes on my mk3 Elf. However, one of the things that needs fixing on the Elf's body are the rear seams at the back of the car (where the the rear bumper is mounted) and I am not sure about how I should fix this as they are currently very rusty and definitely need replacing. So some help, how should I go about fixing this as I think they need replacing entirely? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A second thing, the exhaust system on my elf is rotten and needs completely replacing, what spec part should I buy? The original unit had a single box. Any links to the right part would be great, thanks.
Best regards,
Pete
FrogElf
FrogElf

Back to top Go down

Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required. Empty Re: Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required.

Post  Red Riley Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:18 am

Can you post pictures of the problem? It sounds like you probably have a rotten rear valance. Not an easy panel to find, but there seem to be some re-fabbed pieces available at times.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required. Empty Re: Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required.

Post  Red Riley Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:46 am

rupert_fish has just put one of his reproduction rear skirt panels up for sale on Ebay.

EBAY LINK
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kevinwaynewilliams Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:14 am

Red Riley wrote: It sounds like you probably have a rotten rear valance. Not an easy panel to find, but there seem to be some re-fabbed pieces available at times.

I just got one from Somerford Mini: http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=377

You have to call, but they have a supplier that will make one up for you. From the appearance and finish, I believe it is an M-Machine part, so you might write M-Machine at sales@m-machine.co.uk first and cut out the middleman, if possible.

kevinwaynewilliams

Back to top Go down

Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required. Empty Thanks!

Post  FrogElf Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for the help with that panel guys, we're getting one sorted! Any help with the single box exhaust would still be appreciated.
FrogElf
FrogElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:38 am

just to add.........the rear seam where the bumper bolts on is a three layered lip, with the boot surround sitting above the boot floor which in turn sits on the rear valance with all three spot-welded together

that sounds as clear as mud to me, but hopefully it may help scratch
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:48 am

Should it look like this?
Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required. 3846238284_4cdf9d0829_b
Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required. 3846237428_5ab00dfd47_b
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kevinwaynewilliams Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:12 am

kevinwaynewilliams

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:02 am

Sorry, I was having you on.
Here's the diabolical plan for that rotten Elf.
A gallery on Flickr
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Help with fixing rear seams and exhaust required. Empty doors

Post  FrogElf Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:06 am

Hey can I have the doors off that Very Happy what sort of Nick are they in?
FrogElf
FrogElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:17 am

Sorry the doors are better than the modified Mini doors on my car and they will end up there eventually.
The front half of the car was scrapped and the roof is going on a friend's Cooper.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down