Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of selling - what should I do?

+9
discoman41
Big_Al_Smith
Zef
EBBY HORNET
We Are The Mods
DyNoRod
TONYELF
superworm
elfgirl
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? - Page 2 Empty thinking of selling

Post  hudnormsue852 Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm

Almost forgot can you tell me when Bromley is on and as your a member of LSMOC in the latest MINI TALK mag you can get an entry for £5 insted of £9 to Brooklands every little helps STEVE

Last edited by hudnormsue852 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
hudnormsue852
hudnormsue852

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of selling - what should I do?

Post  elfgirl Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:06 pm

Cheers,

It's in my diary now!! Hopefully Marc and I should both be there Very Happy
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of selling - what should I do?

Post  asahartz Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Sorry to come in late on this one as I've not been around here for a bit, but next time you consider selling your Elf for something more modern and "reliable", think on this:

My daughter Holly was running an 88 Mini, which in truth did have issues and we replaced it with a very low-mileage 92 Mini. This in turn had a brake cylinder fail which was replaced by a friend in the area (she's away at university). My wife got worried about the reliability of the Minis and we bought her an 04 Citroen C2.

The C2 has had an electrical issue that requires diagnostics which only a main dealer can perform. It's been in there three times, we've thrown the best part of £500 at it, and still the battery light comes on occasionally. Modern reliability? Pah. At least you can fix Elfs & Minis yourself.

And the Minis it replaced? We still have both of them at home and both have behaved perfectly ever since!
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? - Page 2 Empty I will Never buy a Nissan again

Post  robinkritz1 Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Thats very true, I have no confidence in these modern vehicles, we bought a close to brand new, ex showroom Nissan Almera 5 years ago and a year ago the gearbox went on it, it had hardly done 40k on the clock. I sourced a secondand gearbox and a great mechanic fixed it for us quite cheap, took us about £400 to fix all in all after being quoted 1000+ by Nissan.03 Nissan Almeras fitted with 1500cc engines are notorious for this mulfunction I came to find out. Then a month ago my wife was driving to work, this is about 2 weeks after it had had service and MOT, it stalled in the middle of the motorway(she is expectant). AA came out and thought it will be a routine service issue but realised it was something more sinister, they took it away and a guy with a diagnostic machine had a good look at it and declared the ECU all its assistant sensors, which apparently monitor majority of the cars mechanical functions, had burnt out.Mind you this car was just a standard model, theres nothing mechanically wrong with this car at all just the brainbox. It was a job that could only be rectified by Nissan, who casually informed us it will take £1500 to sort out. I had had enough of all the B.S, so I looked on a Nissan complaints webring and some people who had suffered a similar misfortune were saying that vehicles manufatured 2003 and after were fitted with Renault electronics as part of a deal after a merger between Renault and Nissan back in 2002/2003. Apparently Its a common issue with these particular Nissans of this era. I have vowed never to waste my money on new cars, I know Toyota are also rubbish right now but the older ones are o.k so Ive bought a 98 one which has recently had a cam belt change, low mileage and one lady owner, quite neat, but at least if this dies I wont feel like Ive thrown away 6k which is what I bought the Nissan for. Evil or Very Mad Mad Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Sad Question
robinkritz1
robinkritz1

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:11 am

asahartz wrote:. At least you can fix Elfs & Minis yourself.

If only I could!!! Infortunately I can only do to the very basics.

I totally hear what you and robinkritz are saying. I have had a warning light keep coming on, but as I got it from the main dealer, it's been sorted out without any cost, so far.

Ironic thing is, that since the weather has turned better I've been driving Katy more and she now seems to be running fine!! I guess I just needed a winter car. Oh well, it's only money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  RobBFG Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 pm

If it's the bad weather causing bad running perhaps you need an ignition shield. If the distributor gets wet then the engine does run slugishly or not at all. My old A-reg mini burnt out it's points and the mechanic sugested that was the problem. I've just fitted one to my Elf after she was having problems and she's been fine since.

Mini Spares sell one for an auto engine but at £60 it's not the cheapest of things.

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=42405&title=DISTRIBUTOR%20SHIELD%20ONLY%20-...

To be honest I made a temporary one for Lexy until the proper one arrived. All you need is some thick plastic behind the grill to stop rain getting in to the engine bay. Best to take it off again for the summer to let the air through otherwise you'll end up over heating.
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Simpler than that - I use a section of old inner tube over the dizzy cap, tied at the top with a tie-wrap. Works a treat. My Minis took me to work (25 miles each way) every day through the winter, even in the snow.

Many people use a Marigold glove with the fingertips cut off for the same purpose.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2