Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of selling - what should I do?

+9
discoman41
Big_Al_Smith
Zef
EBBY HORNET
We Are The Mods
DyNoRod
TONYELF
superworm
elfgirl
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? Empty Thinking of selling - what should I do?

Post  elfgirl Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Most of you on here know that Katy, my 68 Auto Elf, is the only car I have access to. She's my daily driver, for work use and communting as well as transporting my son around safely.

Well the last couple of weeks, she's been really sluggish, I though she was in need a good log drive to clear the carb. Well, she had a long drive over xmas and was no better onthe way back than the way there. She was really struggling up the smallest incline and causing long tailbacks up hills, whilst I was getting more and more stressed trying to fine somewhere safe to pull over and let people pass.

Then today she lost all pulling power and slowed down to about 10mph - so I pulled over to wait for the recovery people. I have no garage, very few tools and extremely limited mechanical knowledge. It does make it hard for me to try and keep her running as well as she could. Although I do have a great, reliable mechanic who is always happy to work on her at very reasonable prices.

I don't think this is anything major - prob something in the fuel system and can be sorted, and she is generally very reliable. But I am very serously thinking it's time to get a new car, as I can't deal with getting so worried about whether she's gonna make it up the hills and I'm gonna get where I want or need to be. So, do I sell Katy (it wuld have to be to a loving home) so I can afford something half decent, or do I get something cheap - in which case it's probably be even less reliable and more expensive to get fix. Don't want anything too big or powerful, just a little bit bigger and a bit more power, prob a hatchback.

Answers on a postcard please.
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? Empty Re: Thinking of selling - what should I do?

Post  superworm Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:11 am

Nay Lass - don't sell Katy.

There just cannot be anything seriously wrong with her else she just wouldn't go at all.

Can only be mucky carb internals, worn points or the brakes sticking on (in which case they would be v/hot!)

There has to be another knowlegeable Elf/Hornet member pretty close to you that could offer an opinion on sorting her probs or even offer to fix it so come ye suvverners - rally round..if I were within a 50mile radius of the "smoke", I would!

Best of Luck from "oop norf"
Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? Empty Re: Thinking of selling - what should I do?

Post  elfgirl Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:57 pm

Thanks Superworm. I will take her in today, assuming they'r open, and see what my mechanic thinks.

I'm just getting a bit sick of worrying about her. Ideally I'd like to keep her, just not sure I can run two cars.
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:05 pm

I'm with superworm there just on the points alone and would offer help also if close enough.
Ask your mechanic to put a new set in if yours are worn beyond adjustment and maybe a new set of plugs if you haven't replaced these recently? (this would would work out ££££'s cheaper than going for a newer modern car)

From what I can gather Katy has been reliable for some time now, it would seem a shame to let her go.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Do let us know what happens.
All the best for the New Year.
Tony
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? Empty Elf

Post  DyNoRod Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:36 pm

I agree, you should get her fixed! However, I can understand the draw of a modern car! If you do decide to move on, I have a great 1992 Mini Auto to sell! lol
DyNoRod
DyNoRod

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:05 pm

Garage closed today. I assume it won't be open til after the weekend. I'll let you know what they say.

Happy New Year.
Sx
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:11 pm

Condenser on it's way out - burnt out the points.

Sorted and back on the road for the grand total of £35 - dilemma sorted for now at least!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  We Are The Mods Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:29 pm

Give her an light servies aswell. You could do this with little tools

Plugs
20W 50W oil
Oil Filter
Air Cleaner
We Are The Mods
We Are The Mods
Admin

http://theraleighchopper.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:37 pm

That was very unfortunate Sarah. In all my years of motoring I have only had one condenser burn out on me (and that was on a Vauxhall Magnum!)
Good to see you back on the road although I think £35 was a bit steep but labour is these days!
If you had new points as well, get someone to check the gap after 100 miles they tend to close a little at first (There should have a little touch of grease on the cam to alleviate this)
Happy motoring in the New Year cheers
Tony
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBBY HORNET Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi Sarah

Thank god your back on the road us girls have got to stick together. I'm glad it wasn't a big job and it was cheap to repair. Having an auto like you I will remember what your symptoms where incase it ever happens to me though having said that I would just shout Mark.
Counting the days Ebby gets her paint job on the 16th can't wait. Happy New year see you soon

Jill and Mark
EBBY HORNET
EBBY HORNET

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:26 pm

TONYELF wrote: I think £35 was a bit steep but labour is these days!
Tony

Tony, it was New Year's Eve, the guy was only open for the morning and was woking on something else when I took her in late morning. He got her sortedand waited for me to pick her up. I really don't think anyone would have done it cheaper or quicker. If you know a garage in East London that will, then please let me know!!

She will go in for a service soon and I'll get the points checked too, thanks for that advice.

I have done oil/ filter changes etc myself, but am not going to do it in the middle of the street, which is my only option. Hence the dilemma of running an old car. Hopefully she'll go strong for a while and I'll remember all the reasons why I love driving her (most of the time!).

Thanks all for the moral support and advice- I certainly wouldn't still have her were it not for the support from the club and on here.

Jill, we'll have to meet up wht Ebby is done - really looking forward to seeing her.
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:01 pm

OK I put my hands up! It was very decent for the chappie to do it for you. It can be a tricky job if one does no know what ones doing!
I hope you found some mistletoe to take advantage of him in another way Very Happy Shocked santa
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:46 am

I luv happy endings.....

Happy New Year Sarah et all

Cheers

Alan
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? Empty You could always

Post  Zef Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:10 am

Glad your car is back to running ok now. Just an alternative option for you but there is a electronic points replacement set on ebay for around £25. On daily drivers like ours it's a worthwhile modification as you'll never have to worry about points or condensors again.
Zef
Zef

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:43 am

oh dear, i miss a couple of days on here and miss all the drama! sarah - how could you have such (sensible?!) thoughts about sellling kt and getting a modern! i'm hocked and shorrified! :-)

park kt on mum's drive for a week and use the old mondingo if you wish - it really is no more fun than using an elf or hornet - if i'm honest, woollie's heater is better than the mondy's anyway and only tucked him away to keep him away from the salt!

sorry to hear you had troubles - i did too - used jvg for 10 days before xmas when mondy went wrong and had to abandon mim on way to work one morning when he "failed to proceed" at the top of summer hill, near chislehurst station, on a narrow bend! had to leave him there all day and only when coming back after work and after dark, did i spot the wire that had come off the coil!

and don't forget, you can always run kt as a 2nd car (£100 a year ins plus £50 mot?) and it's not much harder having 2 cars parked on the street than 1?

anyhow, good luck with whatever you decide and will discuss further when i see you over a pinot grigio Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:01 pm

Zef wrote:Glad your car is back to running ok now. Just an alternative option for you but there is a electronic points replacement set on ebay for around £25. On daily drivers like ours it's a worthwhile modification as you'll never have to worry about points or condensors again.

Tempting, is it worth doing doing now as it's all just been replaced, hopefully I'll be OK for a little while, or ould it still be better to get a replacement as a pre-emtive strike?

Al, it's not so much about the running costs of Katy but more about having enough money to buy something else! For the timebeing at least I'm keeping her!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:54 am

Hurrah! Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:20 pm

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah.....!!!!!

After all the grief you gave me when I dared to suggest I might sell "Rupe"! Tsk! I'm horrified!!!

Smile

My advice is to keep her no matter what it takes! There's nothing that can't be fixed - and usually relatively cheaply, which is more than can be said for a modern car!

That said, however, I had Rupe as my daily runner for 2 years and it damn near wore him (and me) out to be fair, so keep KT as a second car - cheap to insure and tax free - what more could you want???

Happy New Year SJ!

lol!
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:42 pm

discoman41 wrote:Sarah, Sarah, Sarah.....!!!!!

After all the grief you gave me when I dared to suggest I might sell "Rupe"! Tsk! I'm horrified!!!

Smile

My advice is to keep her no matter what it takes! There's nothing that can't be fixed - and usually relatively cheaply, which is more than can be said for a modern car!

That said, however, I had Rupe as my daily runner for 2 years and it damn near wore him (and me) out to be fair, so keep KT as a second car - cheap to insure and tax free - what more could you want???

Happy New Year SJ!

lol!

I wondered when that slap on the wrist was coming!!! That's actually a very good description - she's wearing us both out.

What more could I want...... how long have you got!!!

Happy New Year to you too!!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? Empty re : thinking of selling what sould I do

Post  hudnormsue852 Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:01 pm

Sarah ; Sarah ; Sarah; have just seen this and can`t beleave you never got intouch as I think I live the closest and you got my number (118118 ) and as for selling Crying or Very sad never never never go down that road, and any way if she goes self certified sick again you can always take the Hienz for afew days sunny
hudnormsue852
hudnormsue852

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:34 pm

hudnormsue852 wrote:and any way if she goes self certified sick again you can always take the Hienz for afew days sunny

Now there's an offer........
I consider myself well and truely told!!

That's probably the best reason for not selling - the Elf Hornet Register Very Happy !!!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:15 pm

Well, decision made.

Deposit pu down with the Skoda main dealer - Fabia 1.2, 5 years old with a years parts and labour warranty. They're giving it a full service etc, I pick it up on Tuesday.

Katy will, for the time-being as least, be in the honoured position of becoming my treasured classic rather than my daily runner. Time to give her a good clean and polish, get the muck off from underneath and tuck her away til it warms up!!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? Empty re : thinking of selling what sould I do

Post  hudnormsue852 Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Laughing That great news Sarah, so all you need to do if your going to keep Katy at home is buy your self a good qualaty car cover, should be able to get one for around £60-£70 waterproof & breatherable Mad .hope to see you at Brooklands and are you going to join Big Al & I on the IMM in Germany but b4 that we should meet on the london2brighton what do think? bounce
hudnormsue852
hudnormsue852

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:10 pm

hudnormsue852 wrote:Laughing That great news Sarah, so all you need to do if your going to keep Katy at home is buy your self a good qualaty car cover, should be able to get one for around £60-£70 waterproof & breatherable Mad .hope to see you at Brooklands and are you going to join Big Al & I on the IMM in Germany but b4 that we should meet on the london2brighton what do think? bounce

Yep, I'm going to upgrade my cover - it's got a couple of eliberate cigarette burns in it Mad .

Brooklands, L2B and Bromley are all in my diary. IMM is highly unlikely - pretty sure it's during term time so no chance of getting away.

See you soon Steve
S xx

PS just realised Brooklands isn't in y diary or on the calendar. Any idea anyone?
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Thinking of selling - what should I do? Empty thinking of selling

Post  hudnormsue852 Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi Sarah according to my callendar Brooklands is on the28th of March Razz
hudnormsue852
hudnormsue852

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next