Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cooper elf

2 posters

Go down

cooper elf Empty cooper elf

Post  the elf Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:50 am

NICE.... a really nice car,a credit to you....ive an 1100 sitting in a mini at the minute aimed for my elf,thats just confirmed that thats where its going......cheers mate nice chatting...OOOPS SORRY THINK I PUT THIS IN WRONG PLACE....THE ELF

the elf

Back to top Go down

cooper elf Empty 1100 engine

Post  Elf Service Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:15 am

the elf wrote:NICE.... a really nice car,a credit to you....ive an 1100 sitting in a mini at the minute aimed for my elf,thats just confirmed that thats where its going......cheers mate nice chatting...OOOPS SORRY THINK I PUT THIS IN WRONG PLACE....THE ELF

The 1100 engine is greatly underated due to the very long stroke but if you sort out the bottom end (Tuftrided crank fully balanced with conrods, pistons and flywheel assembly, not forgetting the damper pulley), then you have an engine which can compete with the big bore 1275 engine but still look like a standard 1000cc unit. Its whatever suits you and your pocket. If dropping in the standard 1100 unit, it will greatly improve acceleration and be more fun on the open road especially on hills but keep the revs down as the bottom end is a little fragile and if driven hard for long periods, the crank can break. Another suggestion, depending on the wheel size and existing transmission, go for a higher final drive ratio, as the engine has far more torque. My Elf runs on 10 inch rims with a 3.1 final drive, which equates to 18mph per 1000rpm. So at 70mph, the engine is turning at just under 4000rpm. Looking at the standard 3.7 final drive in the Elf, at 70mph, the engine will be turning at nearly 5000rpm.
Hope this helps.
PS you will need to get the speedo re calibrated or change the speedo drive gears in the transmission to suit.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down