Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread

3 posters

Go down

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread Empty Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread

Post  liam Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi All

Ive decided to start a restoration thread for my Elf. No doubt this will take many years to complete. Not least because Im in Uni, skint and the Elf is 180 miles away in my Dads garage in Sidcup!

My aim for the Elf is to get her through an MOT and then Ill think about a full resto. In the mean time many thanks in advance for answering my questions! Ive never done anything like this before but Im itching to get started and eager to learn new skills. I have done some lead welding in college many years ago, so this skill will come in useful. Im hoping to do as much as possable myself and my Dad will also be a useful resource for the engine stuff.

Ive taken some pictures of the Elf and "oxidised metal". Hopefully the pics will be displayed here.(just done ask me where the bonnet badge has disappeared to!) I drove the Elf out of the garage for a wash then took these pics. Its the furthest shes driven under her own steam in 15 years...quite an achievement in itself! Smile

Any comments on the car are more than welcome. Im encouraged knowing that cars in a much worse state than this one have been made gleaming again.

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread Elffrontpic

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread IMG_2743
Are new wings easy to find? How much should I budget for a wing?

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread Rightrearsill
This part of the "sill?" looks quite rusty. Not to expensive I dont think!

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread Frontleftwheelarch
This is the front nearside arch. My limited knowledge says that this rust spot/split could be sill or foot well?

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread Backleftbumperpanel
Not sure what this panel here is called, all I know it has a nice big hole in it! Repair/replace? Perhaps the boot floor needs replacing?

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread IMG_2751
Nice shot of her rear! Oh err Very Happy

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread IMG_2753
The spiders have found a nice home!

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread IMG_2754
Subframe looks good! (what do i know! lol )

Ive been quoted £50+vat by the mini center in bexelyheath to pump up the suspension (hope it holds!). This will be the next job. While they are there I will get them to do a Rot inspection and tell me how bad/good she is! (unless you chaps can recommend someone?)

I aim to have this work done by xmas.

Thats it for now!

Liam

liam

Back to top Go down

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread Empty Re: Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread

Post  Jono_h Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Good Luck Liam, it'll be worth it!

You could build your own hydrlastic pump for about £20 if you wanted to save some cash. That way if you've got a leak you wouldn't have to keep forking out for someone else to pump it up.

Jono_h

Back to top Go down

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread Empty Re: Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread

Post  liam Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:21 pm

Jono_h wrote:Good Luck Liam, it'll be worth it!

You could build your own hydrlastic pump for about £20 if you wanted to save some cash. That way if you've got a leak you wouldn't have to keep forking out for someone else to pump it up.

That sounds good...is it a fairly easy build? What fluid do you use?

Ta

liam

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:21 pm

Believe it or not you can just use anti-freeze!

I'll take a picture of mine later so you can see how it's built.

Jono_h

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Liam,

Here's a couple of pictures and an explanation of my Hrdolastic pump. I've put together a word document which has arrows on it, but I haven't been able to convert it to a picture to upload. If you want me to e0-mail it then just PM me your e-mail address.

Jon.

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread Hydrolasticpump002.th

Standard grease gun and flexible hose
Get one where you can unscrew the end, then you can top it up as you go
Use plumbers PTFE tape on the screwed joints to prevent leaks

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread Hydrolasticpump001.th

90° tyre valve adaptor. Available from eBay.
It has a nipple in the middle which you’ll need to drill or break out to stop it opening the hydrolastic valve too early. Take care not to damage the seal.
8mm compression coupler. Available from B&Q or plumbing shop.
The end of the valve adaptor is just under 8mm so fits into one end of the coupler and the nut is done up. The nut and olive on the other end of the coupler can be thrown away.
2 x fittings. Available from plumbing shop.
You’ll need a straight coupler and a reducing bush to convert from the thread on the 8mm coupler to the thread on the flexible hose from the grease gun. I can’t remember the sizes - it’s probably easiest to take the bits in with you.
Use plumbers PTFE tape on all the screwed joints.

Jono_h

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread Hydropumpjpeg

Ta-daaaaaaaa!

Jono_h

Back to top Go down

Post  liam Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 pm

Brilliant! Thanks for saving me about £50! Very Happy

Im guessing ill need a fair bit of fluid to fill up the system as shes right on the bottom. Working on classic cars is much more fun than my uni course.

So the hydro values work in the same way as tyre valves then? They just look really different to me!

Ta!

liam

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:33 pm

Yes, they are just schraeder valves. If you leave the nipple in the adaptor then as you unscrew it, it lets the pressure back out. If you take the nipple off then the pressure from the pump will open the valve, but not let a load leak out when you disconnect.

It may take a bit of time to lift it from empty, but you will get there.

The only thing to consider is that if you've 'opened' the hydrolastic system it will have air in it. The official pump also has a vacuum connection to suck the air out as it pumps in fluid.

Jono_h

Back to top Go down

Post  liam Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Maybe it wouldnt be too hard to create a small bleed valve on the top of the shock? This is what my model cars have. Its just an allen screw you undo abit and you compress the shock until the air is gone and oil appears

liam

Back to top Go down

Post  Jono_h Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:52 pm

There is a bleed point somewhere on the displacers, but I'm not sure where.

In theory if you pump it up without losing the air, it can dissolve into the fluid. I guess you could pump it up a bit, open the bleed, and repeat until you just get fluid.

That said if you haven't touched the hydo system there shouldn't be air in it, so you can just crack on and pump it up.

Jono_h

Back to top Go down

Post  liam Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 pm

Could you recommend a grease gun off flabay for me please? They all kinda look the same! Thanks

liam

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:55 pm

Just a full sized one so it will hold a good bit of fluid. Just pop down to the local auto parts store and save postage. Also, check on the proper mix for the fluid. Everything I've found says to mix the antifreeze 50/50 with either water or methanol. Here's a link to a good reference on doing it yourself.
This is the one I made. Don't need it any more if anyone wants it.
Liam's 1966 MK2 Elf restoration thread _mg_6910
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  liam Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Hello all happy new year. rather then try and start a new thread via my mobile i thought i would quickly mention that im considering selling my elf for a couple of hundred pound. she is in sidcup kent. for more details call me on 0751 6988077. thanks, liam

liam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down