Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone used a simonbbc electronic ignition kit?

2 posters

Go down

Anyone used a simonbbc electronic ignition kit? Empty Anyone used a simonbbc electronic ignition kit?

Post  humph Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:27 pm

So today was first service of the Elf for me, which was fun to say the least but that is a long story best forgotten, but did start like this; I wanted to get rid of the points for a bit more reliability so did a bit of research and found the Accuspark or the simonbbc kits coming well recommended. I chose a simonbbc kit in the end and ordered the kit for a 45D dizzy (worth noting at this point that the engine in my Elf appears to be from a post 74 Mini, 99H engine number).

http://www.simonbbc.com/bmz_cache/f/f7ea5d1a4863f03fa102e2c7ed6615ae.image.686x550.jpg

http://www.simonbbc.com/powerspark-kits/austin-powerspark-electronic-ignition-kit-45d-distributor

I followed the instructions and removed the rotor arm, dizzy cap, condensor & points, before offering up the simonbbc unit. Problem is once I did this it didn't seem to fit the way it should. The instructions said to use the existing screws (plural) to mount the unit & look out for the locating pin on the base plate. As you can see from the first link above the unit has two screw holes, which I recon should line up with the point mounting screw and the condensor mounting screw. Problem is that because of the baseplate locating pin I could only ever seem to get one of the holes lined up, and this didn't seem right.

Picture 1 - The set up as it was when I started. Note the two mounting screws and the locating pin is on the left (sorry I know you guys know all this).

Anyone used a simonbbc electronic ignition kit? 5582583485_0be5453961_z

Picture 2 - The bare base plate.

Anyone used a simonbbc electronic ignition kit? 5583170942_5bc66c679d_z

Picture 3 - This is me mocking up how the new unit fits. The hole at the top is lined up, the bottom is way off and lining it up is impossible because of the locating pin you can just see at the end of my finger.

Anyone used a simonbbc electronic ignition kit? 5583171844_67dab3e4e3_z

So my questions.

1) Is my dizzy a 45D? It's not a 25D, but I don't know what else it could be.

2) Has anyone fitted this simonbbc unit? If so did you have a similar problem? How did you sort it?

3) Will it work if I only mount it with the one screw?

The obvious answer is to cut the locating pin off, but I get the impression you shouldn't need to.

I refitted the old points temporarily until I can speak to them on Monday.

humph

Back to top Go down

Anyone used a simonbbc electronic ignition kit? Empty Re: Anyone used a simonbbc electronic ignition kit?

Post  humph Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Thought I'd post a follow up on this for future reference.

http://www.minifinity.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=87852

I also eventually found reference to this peg on the simonbbc website. It would appear that my distributor is a 59D and the peg should be bent or removed. All the talk of resetting the timing has put me off a bit as I don't have a strobe, so the job will now have to wait till I'm next off from work.

humph

Back to top Go down

Anyone used a simonbbc electronic ignition kit? Empty Re: Anyone used a simonbbc electronic ignition kit?

Post  The Adder Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 am

Don't know if anyone is closer to you, but I've got a strobe if you can get up to me Smile
The Adder
The Adder

Back to top Go down

Post  humph Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Cheers for the offer Adder, I may just take you up on it. I'm flat out at work and at weekends at the moment, but in a few weeks. Thanks again.

humph

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down