Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lefthand Indicator Stalk

4 posters

Go down

Lefthand Indicator Stalk  Empty Lefthand Indicator Stalk

Post  evlin64 Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:37 pm

Hi

I would like to fit a left hand-side MK111 indicator stalk to my MK11 Elf and use the horn push for the horn, mainbeam for window washers & left or right turn for the wipers.
Will it fit behind the cowling?
How can I stop the wiper turning off when I go round a corner?

Thanks

Lindsay

evlin64

Back to top Go down

Lefthand Indicator Stalk  Empty Re: Lefthand Indicator Stalk

Post  discoman41 Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:23 am

evlin64 wrote:Hi

I would like to fit a left hand-side MK111 indicator stalk to my MK11 Elf and use the horn push for the horn, mainbeam for window washers & left or right turn for the wipers.
Will it fit behind the cowling?
How can I stop the wiper turning off when I go round a corner?

Mk3 Indicator stalks are on the right and the wipers are controlled from a switch next to the ignition. I think you may have seen a mk3 with later Mini set up for wipers/indicators, which is something you could do, but why bother? Seems a lot of hassle to me....

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:41 am

If you wish to modernise your indicator and wiper controls, another solution is to fit a later Mini steering column and make sure you have the plug and socket connections from the donor car and some of the wiring harness. This will give you indicator/horn and wiper control and if you go for a later wiper motor, you can utilise the twin speed wiper function. Its not that difficult but you will need to be confident with car electrics. The later steering column assemblies incorporate a steering lock which with the drivers door lock probably worn, adds additional security against theft etc.

I have fitted an early Mini 70's column to my Red Elf with a single indicator stalk including horn and main/dip/flash head light control, similar to the later Mk111 Elf and Hornets but with the steering lock. I use the old ignition switch to isolate the permanently live connection to the CD/Radio when the car is left for long periods to save draining the battery.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:20 am

Hi Lindsay

I have a Mini MK2 Column with steering lock (and modified cowling) on Elfie which contains a Mk4 Mini LHS column switch which operates the Headlamps Dip Switch (pull to flash), Horn and Turn Signals. On the column RHS is another Mk4 column switch which has a two speed wiper switch (both wired together for now as I only have a single speed wiper motor), push end of switch for washers and pull the switch down for a "quick wipe + wash). All works a treat and doesn't look bodged at all imho.

Several moons ago, I was razzing down the M6 motorway at night in a light drizzle trying to overtake the six trillion lorries and trucks that occupy the m6 of an evening and trying to keep up with my buddy in his AC 3000ME. I got extremely frustrated that I couldn't easily find the dash wiper switch to give the screen a quick wipe so I could see where the "L" I was without taking my eyes off the rear end of the next truck whilst poking through his spray.....very dodgey methinks so the old wiper switch had to go!!!

One of the best features of the MK4 switch gear is that it mimicks all the VWs in our family so as an olde f*rt, I don't get easily confused by having different layouts....wouldn't be without it now....one of the best "period modifications" I ever did besides sticking the 1071"S" motor & brakes under the lid.

The Lucas part nos. for my switches are "SQB166" (Lights etc) and "SQB167"(wash/wipe). I got the relevant plugs, connector inserts and colour coded wiring from Autosparks to mate up with the pigtails/connectors that came with the switches.

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?content_page=home

I can post a piccy this weekend but feel free to "pop" in when you pick up your seats else I'll see you at Leighton Hall
Cheers

Alan

superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  evlin64 Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks for the replies

Think I need to mull this one over a bit more

Cheers

Lindsay

evlin64