Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riley Mk III Dash

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Riley Mk III Dash - Page 2 Empty Riley Mark III air vents

Post  Aussie Neil Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 am

I have just read the 2010 discussion about fitment of a Rliey Elf to a Hornet. I am very much indebted to the website and that particular discussion because I have been trying to figure out how the outboard end of the side dash panels were secured, apart from just the fabric that is secured under the door seal. The answer, in the 'Z' shaped brackets, was there and I was able to find mine in a coffee jar full of odd screws. nuts etc that came with the dismantled car. Prior to reading the website, I had no idea whatsoever what these little brackets were for.

My problem relates more to the purpose of the eyeball vents in the dash. I assumed they are to bring fresh air into the cabin. However I noted an old post that said the (poster's} air vents were blocked off. Mine are on the car and in good condition but they too are blocked off. Apart from that, they are behind the blanked off section in the mesh insert of the side grille, which would not have let much fresh air in to the cabin, even if the pick up vents were open. From this I assume now that the eyeball vent distributed air at face level after it came via the heater (I don't have o a heater yet)

To set up fresh air ventilation, I plan to remove the blockage in the pick ip vent on the front panel (not sure how yet), then cut a hole in the plain section of the side grill inserts, to let the fresh air in. Maybe it's easier than that - turn the insert over or swap from side to side - so the banked off sections are now pointing towards the centre of the car. Can anybody advise me of a better/easier way please?

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Neil Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 am

Correction - I just removed my headlamp bucket and can now see that the air pick up is not blocked off as I thought - what I could feel from under the front wing is actually mesh. Which still leaves me to find a solution to the question, how does the air get past the blanked off section of the grille insert?

Neil

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Riley Mk III Dash - Page 2 Empty Re: Riley Mk III Dash

Post  paulsminis Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:02 am

Neil,

From the blanked off section of the grill insert, a hose carries air to the bulkhead fittings shown on Alex's post above. From the bulkhead fitting, a short length of hose channels the air to the rear of the eye-ball vent in the wood dash.

If you could sketch and measure one of those Z-shaped brackets. I, for one, would appreciate it.

Now re-reading your entry, it almost sounds to me as if you might not have the correct grill insert if the aperture for air entry is blocked by the grill insert. While I am no expert, I thought all the mk III Elves/Hornets had a grill insert that had an open area so the air could flow through into the air vent system.

Paul
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:21 pm

You have the wrong indicator panle inserts.

The Mk3-on inserts were the same on Elfs & Hornets, and were full width slats with no restriction over the pickup hole.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:54 pm

I emailed Neil and sent him pictures of the differences in Mk I/II and Mk III grill inserts. Neil has sent me drawings and photos of the two brackets and I will post those after I do some work on-line.

I have added links to the drawing and a picture that Neil sent me via email Except I didn't get it correct. Sorry...second try now. Hope that works.

and Neil says the Material is 1.6 mm (16 SWG) thick.

Paul

https://picasaweb.google.com/101638346046757213058/RepairsandRefresh?authkey=Gv1sRgCOv9k6S0vPq8qgE#5838982965457367122
https://picasaweb.google.com/101638346046757213058/RepairsandRefresh?authkey=Gv1sRgCOv9k6S0vPq8qgE#5838982968871819810

Last edited by paulsminis on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added picture links)
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Neil Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks to advice received from Paul and Alex, my problem seems to have been solved! I have the wrong grille inserts in my car. I received my car as a stalled restoration project and the grille inserts were in the side radiator panels that came with it. My mistake was in assuming that they were the correct ones for the car but it seems that they might have been replacement spares from a Mark I or II Hornet as they have vertical as well as horizontal bars, Apart from that, they are perfect! Now that I know, it should be easy enough to fix with a Dremel or similar cutting/grinding tool.

As noted in an earlier post, I have found the correct Z shaped brackets to fit the outer ends of the Riley dash panel and have sent a sketch and pictures to Paul for his use and to put on the site, as i can't figure out how to do so myself. If anybody can't wait for them, please email privately with your email address and I will happily send them to you directly.

Thanks again.

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Post  paulsminis Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:29 am

Neil,

Links to your drawing and one of the photos posted above.

Thanks a million,

Paul
paulsminis
paulsminis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2