Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear shocks fitting

2 posters

Go down

rear shocks fitting Empty rear shocks fitting

Post  elfsave Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:16 am

I am changing the rubber cones in the rear subframe and shocks while I am at it. Cone has gone in after a bit of jiggery pockery but the length of the thread on top of the new shock is so short I cannot get the nut on. I compared it with the old one and it is the same length, so I must have struggled last time as well. Either there are special shocks for hornets as they are mini ones I am fitting or the manufacturer likes to upset people by saving 10 pence on the length of the top stud. The body has not been altered with patches in the wheel arch so it should be long enough.
Any solutions to the problem would help . Thanks, Paul.

elfsave

Back to top Go down

rear shocks fitting Empty Re: rear shocks fitting

Post  Jared Mk3 Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:01 pm

Maybe try jacking the radius arm and brake drum up to help push the shock up into the hole. If they're new spring units, then it will be a bit tough.
Jared Mk3
Jared Mk3

Back to top Go down

rear shocks fitting Empty Solution to problem.

Post  elfsave Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Jared Mk3 wrote:Maybe try jacking the radius arm and brake drum up to help push the shock up into the hole. If they're new spring units, then it will be a bit tough.
The only way to apply pressure is to somehow apply it to the top of shock absorber as it just compreses when you apply it anywhere else.
In the end I replaced the lower rubber and used the old rubber on the top,which you can just get the nut on.I will go back and change the top rubber in a few months when the lower one will have compressed a bit by then. This will be a pain as you know one is behind the petrol tank. but I cannot think of doing it any other way.

elfsave

Back to top Go down

rear shocks fitting Empty Re: rear shocks fitting

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down