Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolseley Hornet MkII Automatic Question?

2 posters

Go down

Wolseley Hornet MkII Automatic Question? Empty Wolseley Hornet MkII Automatic Question?

Post  WeegieBob Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi All,

I've just joined this forum to learn about Hornets because having just sold my previous classic car of 16 years I now hope to buy a MkIII Wolseley Hornet and I'm currently looking for one.

A friend of mine mentioned she'd seen a Hornet parked regularly on a main road in Glasgow near to the place I work in, so I took a wander up one lunch-time and there it was just where she said it was.

Wolseley Hornet MkII Automatic Question? Dscf0811

The car is tidy and all there as best I can establish, however despite having owned several Mini's in the 1970's this wee Hornet is a new direction for me as its an Automatic. I'm just exploring all the options if the owner is amenable to selling it to me, which leads me to my post here - if the gearbox is damaged will the engine block fit a standard manual box and associated running gear?

Many thanks, WeegieBob. Wink
WeegieBob
WeegieBob

Back to top Go down

Wolseley Hornet MkII Automatic Question? Empty Wolseley Hornet MkII Automatic Question?

Post  1071kev Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Bob,

The engine on the automatic box won't fit a manual box. You'll need a complete replacement unit if the gearbox can't be fixed. You'll need to give Clarke at Mcdonald Minis near Edinburgh a call regarding the gearbox, he knows his stuff regarding them. If you intend changing the unit for a manual there are a lot of parts to source, many of which are getting hard to find. Unless you visit my loft! Looks a pretty clean late Hornet though.

kev

1071kev

Back to top Go down

Wolseley Hornet MkII Automatic Question? Empty Re: Wolseley Hornet MkII Automatic Question?

Post  WeegieBob Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:25 am

Many thanks Kev, a really useful and helpful post - I'll drop into Macdonald Motors (after I've called to see when would be convenient for Clarke) and have a chat with him as he sounds like a very useful contact. Very Happy 

He might even be able to point me in the direction of a Hornet for sale as since my original post the note I'd left on the Hornet mentioned above has been removed, but sadly no phone call.
WeegieBob
WeegieBob

Back to top Go down

Wolseley Hornet MkII Automatic Question? Empty Re: Wolseley Hornet MkII Automatic Question?

Post  1071kev Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:33 pm

Bob, I spotted a very nice Hornet Automatic for sale in Lockerbie a few weeks ago on ebay. It didn't make the reserve so might still be available.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321188441327

Kev

1071kev

Back to top Go down

Post  WeegieBob Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:52 pm

Once again kev, many thanks for the lead, its a very tidy Hornet even if it is an Automatic. Wink

I've eBay messaged the seller asking a couple of questions, just need now to wait and see.
WeegieBob
WeegieBob

Back to top Go down

Post  WeegieBob Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:47 am

Disappointing news I'm afraid kev, the vendor replied this morning to say the car had been sold. Sad

I was a wee bit too slow and to use an Americanism - 'You snooze, you loose!'

But thank you nevertheless for the lead, it was well worthwhile exploring. Wink
WeegieBob
WeegieBob

Back to top Go down

Post  1071kev Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Okay, was worth a shot. Don't often see them for sale up here.

Kev

1071kev

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down