Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance for modified Hornet.

4 posters

Go down

Insurance for modified Hornet. Empty Insurance for modified Hornet.

Post  elfsave Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:19 pm

As I am now fitting glass and Interior after 13 years off the road I will be needing insurance to take it for an MOT.
I am after some pointers on.
Multiple vehicle policies
Modifications,as I have a 1275 in it. with cooper s 10'' discs
agreed values and estimates 
do I have to have another vehicle insured to have a classic vehicle policy
Anyway of saving money on a policy

or anything else I might become unstuck on or you have experienced.  Thanks, Paul.

elfsave

Back to top Go down

Insurance for modified Hornet. Empty Re: Insurance for modified Hornet.

Post  Red Riley Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 am

That's so odd to think that just changing the engine and brakes would make a difference to your insurance. Over here no one would ever even notice such minor things. Then again, half the people over here drive without having insurance.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Elf Service Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:28 am

elfsave wrote:As I am now fitting glass and Interior after 13 years off the road I will be needing insurance to take it for an MOT.
I am after some pointers on.
Multiple vehicle policies
Modifications,as I have a 1275 in it. with cooper s 10'' discs
agreed values and estimates 
do I have to have another vehicle insured to have a classic vehicle policy
Anyway of saving money on a policy

or anything else I might become unstuck on or you have experienced.  Thanks, Paul.
I have five vehicles on the same policy, one of which is a modified Elf. Footman James offers a multi car policy with agreed value and unlimited mileage and you can even drive them to your regular place of work. You will also need an everyday car registered to you or insured in your name on a separate policy.
Looking at the modifications, as long as handling and braking systems have been improved to accommodate the increased power then they are happy to offer cover. My modified Elf produces 80+bhp at the wheels and with solid suspension, Cooper S brakes, Servo and adjustable suspension etc., which is probably not too dissimilar to what you have in mind. Additional cars covered, another standard 1967 Elf, 1966 Riley Kestrel, 1998 Rover Mini Cooper Sportspack and a 1995 Rover 214 Cabriolet.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  elfsave Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks,for any advice .I had a quote today £3500 agreed value ,which is probably a bit under, £100 excess with all the mods including a tow bar.3000.miles a year, they quoted £120 fully comprehensive and a extra £36 for breakdown cover. I am 48 with no claims and a clean licence.
Over here the mods are looked upon as more cost to replace as they ask what the mod is worth now ,which is new to me.The fact that it turns the car into something pretty nippy does not seem to bother them,when I first had it on the road I had set up on a rolling road and it put out 96 BHP at the wheels and It had to be thrashed everywhere or it didn,t like it. I have now detuned it to make it more driveable.
I will try Footman and see what they come up with.  Thanks, Paul.

elfsave

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:40 am

Also try peter best insurance in kelvedon, Essex. Very competitive! I have 3 insured with them.

Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down