Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonnet catch

4 posters

Go down

Bonnet catch Empty Bonnet catch

Post  MGs Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 am

Our bonnet occasionally comes undone on the move. It is held on the spring catch and closes again with a push. I presume that the catch needs adjusting. I guess that the spring needs lengthening so that it is under more compression when the bonnet is shut, is this right?
MGs
MGs

Back to top Go down

Bonnet catch Empty spring

Post  Zef Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:06 pm

When mine did that I assumed, probably incorrectly, that it was most likely wear on the pin. My thinking was if the pin is worn it doesn't have enough of a lip for the catch to grab to.

You could always get a nice buckle catch to keep it shut. I used 2 stainless spring catches on mine and it stopped it coming up at speed. Very Happy
Zef
Zef

Back to top Go down

Bonnet catch Empty Re: Bonnet catch

Post  Red Riley Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:08 am

Just as a tip, in case you need a replacement for the bonnet catch pin, spring and spring cup. You can get them from Brown & Gammons. Look under the MGA parts list. They are the only place I've found that stocks the spring cup, plus they are much less expensive than any of the Mini suppliers.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 am

MGs wrote:Our bonnet occasionally comes undone on the move. It is held on the spring catch and closes again with a push. I presume that the catch needs adjusting. I guess that the spring needs lengthening so that it is under more compression when the bonnet is shut, is this right?

Have you tried the spring on the slam panel? Is it tight enough to put the plate to the right (facing the car) or is your pull wire too tight thereby stopping the plate slidng far enough to the right and does the plate have enough grease on it to slide easily?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bonnet catch Empty bonnet catch

Post  MGs Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Sorted, just needed to lengthen the spring slightly. I still have a spare, which I will hang on to.

Cheers
MGs
MGs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down