Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley

+4
asahartz
bmcelf
CJ
whitebuffalo
8 posters

Go down

Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley Empty Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley

Post  whitebuffalo Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:06 am

Since my Riley is close to being finished (paint, interior, new electricals left to do) I wanted to find something that was different, yet not an Axis car or a Mini saloon, owned 5 of them over the years. I was lucky enough to find a 1965 Sunbeam Imp. It is an original California car and in need of restoration, but no rust! Well only a very light surface rust on the underbelly, but no rot. I will have to repair some dents and dings and a pushed in part on the roof, but not bad for what it is. It was being towed behind a man's motorhome up till 1985 and only reads 55,000 miles on the clock.

I will be removing the towbar , it is welded to the two front A-arms so the suspension hasn't been independent up front since close to 1975 or so. I will also not be retaining the indoor/outdoor carpet on the roof. It's just not my style No

PICTURES REMOVED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT!

The plans are to restore her to my specifications.

The motor will either be to tune the 875 with a cam and bigger carb or just go for a 998 unit.

Suspension will be Monte Carlo springs which are lower than stock and uprated shocks.

I might go for front disc brakes, but hear that the drums are good as they are so might just refurbish them.

Wheels will be 12x6 Mamba replicas all around or perhaps 12x6 Revolutions. Yokohama tyres for sure.

Exterior will be either the factory sky blue with a dark blue roof and matching side stripes or chrome orange with black roof and matching side stripes.

Interior would depend on exterior color so if I stick with blue then I would do a red seating and trim, perhaps in leather or red tweed. If I choose the orange route then the interior trim will be medium to dark gray tweed.

Last edited by whitebuffalo on Sat May 21, 2011 4:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I deleted the pictures)
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

http://www.moala.org

Back to top Go down

Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley Empty Re: Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley

Post  CJ Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:11 am

I had a Sunbeam Stiletto about 10 years ago a friend is now restoring it

CJ

Back to top Go down

Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley Empty Re: Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley

Post  whitebuffalo Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:19 am

CJ wrote:I had a Sunbeam Stiletto about 10 years ago a friend is now restoring it
Stilettos are very nice cars, a local chap has one here in California and is very rare for the states.
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:10 am

There was an Imp at the show in Chattanooga last October. Really nicely restored car but I didn't get a picture of it.
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:45 am

bmcelf wrote:There was an Imp at the show in Chattanooga last October. Really nicely restored car but I didn't get a picture of it.
Too bad youdidn't get a picture of it. I have been trying to collect as many pictures to get ideas.

I was told that there are only about 30+ Imps in the US so it would be good to have a US Imp collective.
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:55 pm

They're not exactly common over here either. I recall my grandfather having a red one when I was very young.

I followed a '65 Singer Chamois for 400 yards this week and remember thinking how unusual it was to see an Imp on the roads these days.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Zef Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:20 pm

My friend has a Stiletto autograss car at the workshop. It's a shame really as it's a pretty car under the supercharged rover V8 Very Happy
Zef
Zef

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:14 pm

If you are thinking of tuning it up, then I would suggest that you have a chat with Mike Dent, who is on the imp forums ( username is normally his name) - he competes against us in his imp and he also produces a lot of the competition parts like suspension and engine mounts, etc and knows how to build them inside out. A couple of videos on mick in action

mike dent rally imp 1

mike dent rally imp 2

Gordon

PS I like the trailer in the back ground !

PPS and interestingly he is located near Lancaster in the UK !

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:10 am

Mate of mine is currently restoring a Hillman Imp Californian. Fastback Hillman version of the Sunbeam Stilletto and the Singer Chamois

(I was also conceived in an Imp..... allegedly!)

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 pm

discoman41 wrote:
(I was also conceived in an Imp..... allegedly!)
Jase
Too much info! Glad mine is a California car, I know you were not made in the USA affraid

whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley Empty Sold the Imp and replaced it with a Sprite

Post  whitebuffalo Wed May 04, 2011 3:28 am

I sold the Imp. After three months of ownership, I couldn't really get enthusiastic about the car or the project.

I sold it to a fellow that is a member of a local driving club who is bonkers about Imps. He owns a fantastic Stiletto and was going to restore a coupe, but it had too much body filler and rust. My project car was very straight and only had surface rust on it.

From my local Mini club, a friend decided he wasn't going to get to his Sprite project so I offered to buy it. It is a '59 with some modifications done to the bonnet. He has tons of parts and two engines so I have plenty to sort through to see what I have.

Idea is to build a motor, I think it has a 948 with the car so will do that up with a higher performance specification. Might even do a supercharger on it. The car will be Porsche Blood Orange with a dark red or maroon interior. I also plan on a 5 speed conversion for the transmission.

I have been wanting a Frogeye ever since I was old enough to drive and decided now was the time to act. cheers
Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley ArgyleGarage01

Last edited by whitebuffalo on Sat May 21, 2011 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed May 04, 2011 5:23 am

I've got one one of those under a tarp in the back yard. Very incomplete although the shell is all there and it's got a title and I've got a fairly decent windscreen frame and a full set of A-H hubcaps. It's got an 1100 block in it and I've got a box of carbs, but it needs LOADS of work. My understanding is that if it's a left hand drive Sprite it's a Bugeye, only British Sprites are Frogeyes.Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley 2708587257_4d0a75f6dd
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Wed May 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Red Riley wrote: My understanding is that if it's a left hand drive Sprite it's a Bugeye, only British Sprites are Frogeyes.

Yes, good distinction. Razz I actually plan on making the car RHD since my Elf is and most all of my Minis have been too. Not sure how easy it will be, but I will give it a go.

I can't understand what they were thinking when whoever modified the bonnet cut out the headlight buckets and even deleted the turn signals. Was it going to be a racer or just a custom deal? I plan on restoring the headlights like the factory ones and will add some spot lights to the grille area.

With this car, I don't have any problems with choosing a color, unlike trying to decide what to paint my Elf. I have built this car in my head thousands of times and know that it will be orange.

Nice project Sprite you have there. I like how the tarp makes the car look like it's camping out doors. See it's smile? He is enjoying it. Ok, too much personification....
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed May 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Yeah, the bonnet mod is interesting. Wonder if instead of having to redo the upper part, you could increase the dished out lower part to fit the headlights lower down? Seems like it would be less metal work. Then you could use a set of Euro style headlights with the internal pilot bulb replaced with an orange colored bulb and use those for turn signals.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Thu May 05, 2011 4:50 am

That is possible. Maybe use some five inch lights like on the Fiat 500 (1960's era) in the existing holes with a lower lip for visibility. Or car use the pilot light on the seven inch ones as a turn signal. Would have to see if it is visible when the headlights are on. I have a set on my Elf and can test the idea out.
An idea for the turn signal I had was to use a wing light like the ones on Austin A30's.
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Thu May 05, 2011 6:59 am

Intriguing. I found a few different oval headlights online. This one or this one. With a bit of fabrication I'll bet you could make it work.
Something like this maybe. You could just hang some turn signals behind the grill.
Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley Bugeye10
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Fri May 06, 2011 2:42 am

Wow, thanks! That is a possibility. I would have a Squinteye Sprite. It would forever look like it is heading into the glare of the sun Cool Or that it is laughing very vigorously
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Sat May 21, 2011 4:46 am

Well, I finally was able to pick up the car today. Thankfully the guy I bought it from did some work to the bonnet to rectify the odd treatment for the headlights.
Bought a new project for when I finish my Riley DSC02593
Anyone have an idea about who made the aftermarket grill? I am very excited to finally get the car home.
The previous owner collected a ton of spares with double and in some instances triple the spares. I now have five sets of doors for the car! I will post more pictures as I unpack things. bounce
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sat May 21, 2011 5:56 am

Shame, I was kind of digging the Squinteye look. That is an interesting grille. Hang on to the spares, I might need some!
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Sat May 21, 2011 6:33 am

I was kind of looking forward to the squinty look too. The guy who did the work to make it squinty even made some chrome surrounds with a chrome plate to fill in the divot under the headlight. Once I unpack them I will take some pictures.

I will hold onto all of the spares. When you get to your Sprite you will have tons of bits to choose from , just let me know.

whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down