Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bought another car,

3 posters

Go down

Bought another car, Empty Bought another car,

Post  whitebuffalo Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 am

I was digging around in the local online free adverts (Craig's list) and found this

Bought another car, DSC02688
Bought another car, DSC02687
Bought another car, DSC02691

I have a soft spot (in my head) for all cars that are a bit different as well as rare ones. I always wanted an A30 or A35 and found out about the Farinas a few years back. Never would have thought I would actually find one here in California and only 100 miles away too! Smile

The original color was black and had this not so flattering yellow painted on it sometime in it's life. The interior seems to be originally red, but is now a yellow color.

I will paint it either orange or a good Ferrari fly yellow. The other color I am considering is Iris blue or smoke grey.

A 950 sits in it now, but I think a 1098 with a straight cut close ratio gearbox will go in it.
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

http://www.moala.org

Back to top Go down

Bought another car, Empty Re: Bought another car,

Post  TONYELF Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:39 am

This was known as an A40 in the UK and are now quite rare. good luck with your restoration. Smile
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Congratz - I too love to find weird Rare old cars. I kinda feel like it is a rescue more than a purchase What a Face
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:52 pm

RileyUSMan wrote:Congratz - I too love to find weird Rare old cars. I kinda feel like it is a rescue more than a purchase What a Face
That is exactly my sentiment! All I could think of was that someone was going to make it into a "Gasser" style drag car like so many Topolinos and 40's and 50's Anglias.
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:58 pm

TONYELF wrote:This was known as an A40 in the UK and are now quite rare. good luck with your restoration. Smile

I found the A40 Farina club and they say 400 or so, but that is maybe ones that are registered in the UK and not SORNed or just rusting away in a farmer's field. I would guess still a very low amount. I was very pleased to find that I can get a new wire harness for it as well as windscreen rubbers . Most other things look compatible with other BMC cars, so I can restore it without having to wait years for that elusive ebay find. I even found that Frontline, who do trick items for Spridgets, make specific items to fit this car.
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 pm

My 2 Cents,

The biggest problem with finding these rare cars is the storage space. In some cases you can actually grab them up for a reasonable price but I have found that it can become very expensive to properly store a collection of cars.

I guess its like the old story that someone was giving away a horse for FREE!!! Then after the stable, food and vet bills it wasn't free any more!! Shocked
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  whitebuffalo Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:25 am

RileyUSMan wrote:My 2 Cents,

The biggest problem with finding these rare cars is the storage space. In some cases you can actually grab them up for a reasonable price but I have found that it can become very expensive to properly store a collection of cars.

I guess its like the old story that someone was giving away a horse for FREE!!! Then after the stable, food and vet bills it wasn't free any more!! Shocked
That is why I was able to buy it so inexpensively. The guy had to clear out the back yard of his house due to his city not wanting him or anyone else to store cars in the track housing in the city limits.

I am fortunate, in that I have an acre of land and have three carports that are empty at the moment.

Now for the $500 horse I just bought, will cost me well into $10,000 or so when I am finished affraid
whitebuffalo
whitebuffalo

Back to top Go down

Post  RileyUSMan Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:36 pm

LOL Laughing
RileyUSMan
RileyUSMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content