Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cold winter days

5 posters

Go down

Cold winter days Empty Cold winter days

Post  elfgirl Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:21 am

Hi All,

Great to log in and see how busy it's been in the forum tonight - seeing all those projects that seem to be progressing well through the winter months.

My KT doesn't have the luxury of a garage - but she's been a real trooper through the cold the last couple of weeks. Just take the cover off and shake off the ice (while everyone else is scraping away)_ give her a couple of minutes to warm up before pulling away and she's been fine. I described her to my son as tempremental -he corrected me and said that she was just delicate - not bad thinking for a 7 year old.

I've had two great "my first car was a hornet" conversations this week. But the highlight of my motoring week had to be this morning when I decided to flip the bonnet before I went to work - the heater has been a bit dodgy recently, I've been driving with a blanket over my legs (thanks Mum!!) - well I must have pulled the knob out a few weeks ago - I pulled on the other end of the cable this morning and have been toasty warm all day!! What bliss, I even had the window open at one point - well, I wasn't going to turn the heater off!!!

Looking forward to warm days and summer shows Very Happy
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Cold winter days Empty Re: Cold winter days

Post  TONYELF Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:11 pm

It's good to hear your legs are warm again! Laughing

Some of the original minis that were the first to have heaters did not have a control cable and had to be operated by lever under the bonnet.

When summer comes!!!!!!!!!!!!! When? ha ha ! Get some WD40 (or three in one oil )into that cable and if you can take it out put an airline on and blast it out. If you do that and carefully rub the inner cable with some fine wet and dry. Make sure you wipe it well before greasing (not a lot) or plenty of three in one oil. Hold the outer casing up and fill it up!

On the subject of WD40 girls and guys. I have been told by a VERY old mechanic that WD40 should not be used in many cases, particularly on door locks. He claims that eventually it will dry up and form a powder and clog up the lock more than it did before.....?

Any observations on this?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Don't know whether this would help or not. Anyone ever tried one of these?
Ebay Link: Grille Muff
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:03 pm

Wow! That's quite impressive.

Although at that price I think I'll stick with the piece of cardbard that Al put behind my grille!!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:33 pm

Red Riley wrote:Don't know whether this would help or not. Anyone ever tried one of these?

I've got JVG's grille cover that was supplied when the car was new - works a treat in the winter! Cardboard cheaper though and just as good 'til it gets soggy!

The car in the picture looks a bit like Humphrey? Catmint?
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:11 am

Red Riley wrote:Don't know whether this would help or not. Anyone ever tried one of these?

well observant Al, as fitted to Humphrey - just had a days rallying with it on up in Northumberland and it is the first time (winter that is) that he has run at normal temperature and we were warm ( and it stops pheasants getting stuck in the grill as well!!!) - re price, this is practically what it is costing him to produce and sell them, more a service than a profit exorcise. This is the problem with low production parts that we require, they cost a chunk to make

Gordon

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:08 pm

catmint wrote:

well observant Al, as fitted to Humphrey - just had a days rallying with it on up in Northumberland and it is the first time (winter that is) that he has run at normal temperature and we were warm ( and it stops pheasants getting stuck in the grill as well!!!) - re price, this is practically what it is costing him to produce and sell them, more a service than a profit exorcise. This is the problem with low production parts that we require, they cost a chunk to make

Gordon

Sorry Gordon, I didn't mean to imply the price was unreasonable - I quite understand that these things can't and won't come cheap - just a bit beyond my budget at the moment, maybe in time for next winter!

Did the Elf ever have something similar? I've never seen one of these before.
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi

Watch this space ( well ebay that is ) and the Elf one will be on the way from JK1293 in the near future. No implications or offence taken over the price issue - just sometimes I feel an explanation is required as to why something has that particular price tag, when (and I agree here as a tight yorkshireman) it looks expensive.

Gordon

catmint

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:51 am

Hmmm that sounds interesting (budget, what budget!!)...

When it comes up maybe you could stick it in the e-bays links section - for those of us that don't check our e-bay searches too often - too tempting!!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:59 am

you can buy direct from John, if you just email him and ask to informed when he has got them sorted, the address is smallcar@jkne.fsnet.co.uk

Gordon

catmint

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down