Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS :

+3
discoman41
Admin
David2010
7 posters

Go down

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : Empty RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS :

Post  David2010 Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:55 pm

You should understand that the Hornet outsold the Elf in the Republic of Ireland in the period 1962 - 1968 when both cars were current.
They were imported as C.K.D.kits and assembled in Dublin in 2 locations - one for each make - and because the Elf had a selling price which was £ 50 more than that of the Hornet (extra veneer ?), more examples of the Hornet were sold and more survive to-day.
My Elf is none of the above as it is a 1963 U.K.built car (Fisher Body No.R.268) which was subsequently first registered in N.Ireland as 5959-IL
In 1990 it was completely rebuilt in N.Ireland and converted into a Classic Stage Rally car - with all that entails - in brief, brakes,suspension
and engine were upgraded to Cooper 'S'spec. and with the addition of a full roll cage, rally seats, spotlamps & with its then owner at the wheel
it clocked up 3 successive years of victories - winning the Circuit of Ireland Retro outright in 1990 and ditto for the Donegal in '91 and the Galway in '92. It also won the N.Ireland Rally Championship for three years running 1990/91/92.
If members would like to hear about its adventures since I bought the car in 2003 - let me know.
David2010
David2010

Back to top Go down

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : Empty Re: RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS :

Post  Admin Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:50 pm

welcome!

Glad i was able to get you signed up!

Yes I for one would like to hear more!

Sounds like bit of a speciality compared to most cars in here!

Have you have many wins yourself david?
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.elf-hornet-register.co.uk

Back to top Go down

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : Empty Re: RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS :

Post  discoman41 Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:02 am

Would love to see a picture of it.... Smile

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:14 am

sounds like a splendid little car - well done with what you've achieved and hopefully lots more to follow....
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  David2010 Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:45 pm

discoman41 wrote:Would love to see a picture of it.... Smile

Jase
There should now be 2 photos of my Elf available to view.........
One during the Circuit of Ireland Classic Rally taken near Hillsborough (Co.Down - N.Ireland) in 2008 &
another at the historic 1967 Dunboyne Road Race Circuit (re-opened for one afternoon per year) in 2009.
David2010
David2010

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Welcome to the forum David. Enjoy.
Unfortunately do to circumstances beyond our control you will not be able to post photos until you have posted 5 times.
Tony
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : Empty Welcome elf neighbour

Post  Coco_ChanElf Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:38 am

It's so great to discover another nearby Elf owner in ROI. Smile

I hope to meet David soon - there are pics of his Elf in the 2009 section of the Dunboyne Motor Club site.

It is a beautiful car and has a fascinating history - can't wait til he can post the photos!
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  smiler Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:57 pm

sounds like a cracker!

smiler

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:38 pm

I promised to put these up so here we go.

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : Dunboyne_2009_470

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : UACRetro08Hillsborough10thOctober

Sorry about delay on these.

But think its worth it to see this little beaut!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : Empty Brilliant pics, what a smasher!

Post  Coco_ChanElf Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Look at her go Wink

Love that the first photo is in my home village. Hope some of you guys will come over for next years' Spirit of Dunboyne, it would be lovely to welcome a load of Elfs over! Smile
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  smiler Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:18 pm

amazin! when is the rally chief?

smiler

Back to top Go down

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : Empty Spirit of Dunboyne 2012

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:58 am

The modern incarnation of the Dunboyne road race is more a vintage car show and about 50 diverse vintage cars and bikes doing parade laps than a real rally but it's great craic nonetheless.
For details:
http://www.dunboynemotorclub.com/html/News.htm
It's on 1st and 2nd September 2012.
There was only one Elf this year, but I have a hunch there will be more next year. Smile

Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:57 am

Dates noted but no plans just yet!
Any more possible takers?
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smiler Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:44 pm

bummer for me as i am a teacher and those dates means a no go for me. Shame would have enjoyed a tour over to ireland!

smiler

Back to top Go down

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : Empty Smiler

Post  Coco_ChanElf Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Oh, what a pity. Sure you couldn't come the Friday afternoon and back Monday morning? ?Smile

But there are plenty of other events you can come to during the summer if you like. I will make sure to post about any I hear about. There are a few big Steam Rally, vintage car shows and whatnot. There's even a vintage tractor show. Smile All very 'Father Ted' and enjoyable.

Or you can just come over any time and have tea and biscuits! I'll tell where the nice places to drive are, lol.

Will keep you posted, anyway.
Coco_ChanElf
Coco_ChanElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:07 am

Here is a few more of this wondeful little car in action Smile

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : UACRETRO06Start-KingsHallBelfast

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : TDCRetro2005Powerscourt

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : LeinsterMotorClubRallyJune07EnniskerryOverallWinner

RILEY ELF STILL COMPETITIVE IN RETRO/CLASSIC RALLYS : IMRC2009LenehansYard

Looks great!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down