Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

having my Elf painted, removing Chrome bits

2 posters

Go down

having my Elf painted, removing Chrome bits Empty having my Elf painted, removing Chrome bits

Post  SteveP Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:58 am

I've decided to have my 1965 Elf repainted. I'll be removing the chrome bits myeslf and then taking it to a body shop. I'm a little concerned about removing and replacing the chome bits as I've seen a few other threads on this forum where it's mentioned it's hard to find the correct sized rivets for replacing the original chrome work. I was wondering if anyone has any additional advice on removing and replacing these pieces.

I'm also wondering what to expect when I remove the chrome pieces. I assume I'll have to cut off the old rivets to repaint the car. And the holes for the rivets and chrome clips--I'm assuming these could likely be damged by rust and if so, how are they repaired, by welding?

Thanks, Steve

SteveP
SteveP

Back to top Go down

having my Elf painted, removing Chrome bits Empty Re: having my Elf painted, removing Chrome bits

Post  TONYELF Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Steve, When I restored my 64 Elf I took my time removing the chrome strips with a flat forked tool. The retaining clips weren't too bad but you can buy new ones easy enough.the clips are best drilled out with a bit just big enough to remove the rivet head. take this opportunity to clean the hole edges and treat them with rust converter. Remember which way round the clips come off (ie some have two points on one side)
Some dealers sell the rivets with the clips so make sure you buy the new ones. (catmint on this forum can help you with this)
When putting the chrome strips back you may have the pinch the strip across the width to make them a touch narrower thereby gripping the clips tighter ( Pinched mine with a mole grip,carefully adjusted with a stiff cloth in the jaws to prevent marking or damaging the chrome) It takes time and patience (and a sense of humour) does this ! Laughing
Obviously should you have to have the strips re chromed you should do this before taking them to the chromer.
Do keep the forum up todate with your exploits with any tips you may come across and don't forget some photos too!
Hope this is of some help.
Tony
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

having my Elf painted, removing Chrome bits Empty Re: having my Elf painted, removing Chrome bits

Post  SteveP Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:02 am

Tony, thank you for the reply and the info. I plan to take lots of photos and will post some here to show my progress.

Thanks again, Steve
SteveP
SteveP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down