Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hornet sees the light of day after 15 years

5 posters

Go down

Hornet sees the light of day after 15 years Empty Hornet sees the light of day after 15 years

Post  ths Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:30 am

Hi, just removed my '68 Hornet from it last resting place, the garage in a house we let out 5 years ago.
The car had been dismantled for renovation in 1996, we had to bolt the subframes back in (loosely) to tow it the 10 miles or so to our current abode.
Now I have to decide whether to carry on with the restoration or offer the car to another enthusiastic person with more time.
Biggest problem would be getting the boot slam panel either repaired or replaced - it has rotted through. I've already gathered together a rear valance and heel board, I see on here that boot extension panels are available to order.
I'd have to get lucky to find a slam panel, possibly even a shell which is too bad to fix up which I could cut one out from.
Anyway, all advice is very welcome - has anyone had similar problems with their Elf/Hornet and how did they get over it?
Cheers for now
Tony

ths

Back to top Go down

Hornet sees the light of day after 15 years Empty Re: Hornet sees the light of day after 15 years

Post  Red Riley Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:16 am

Good luck! I'm hoping to eventually fix this mess, since I don't have access to any replacement panels. Not quite sure how yet, but it will get done somehow.
Hornet sees the light of day after 15 years 4504083074_d645d014df
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hornet sees the light of day after 15 years Empty Re: Hornet sees the light of day after 15 years

Post  TONYELF Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:28 am

If you are intending to make a trailer out of it then it does'nt have to be strictly "original" does it?
For a start. It should be as light as possible for a mini to tow it bearing in mind the Caravanning "Bible" recommends the trailer not to be more than 85% of the weight of the towing vehicle (and that is for braked trailers)
So how about a beam axle for starters thereby removing a heavy subframe?
That solved, your body panels (apart from the base panels) could be of fibreglass/plastic particularly the "Roof" panel as you will probably find the Hornet/Elf boot/trunk lid too low for loading the trailer.

I have a spare rear end of a donor mini from which I propose to use the 1275 engine and rolling gear on my minvan project and am thinking of (time permitting!) of making a trailer out of it.

Food for thought?

Last edited by TONYELF on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelin !)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  We Are The Mods Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:18 pm

I brought a mini boot lip panel and but lines to straighten it. Worked pretty well
We Are The Mods
We Are The Mods
Admin

http://theraleighchopper.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:41 pm

TONYELF wrote:If you are intending to make a trailer out of it then it does'nt have to be strictly "original" does it?
For a start. It should be as light as possible for a mini to tow it bearing in mind the Caravanning "Bible" recommends the trailer not to be more than 85% of the weight of the towing vehicle (and that is for braked trailers)
So how about a beam axle for starters thereby removing a heavy subframe?
That solved, your body panels (apart from the base panels) could be of fibreglass/plastic particularly the "Roof" panel as you will probably find the Hornet/Elf boot/trunk lid too low for loading the trailer.

I have a spare rear end of a donor mini from which I propose to use the 1275 engine and rolling gear on my minvan project and am thinking of (time permitting!) of making a trailer out of it.

Food for thought?

I'm doing the same with one of my old Minis. Subframe is scrap anyway; it's the trailing arms which are the weight. I have a few ideas, just looking to do a good job cheaply!
1) Indespension units - these are available with Mini hubs.
2) Fabricating tubular trailing arms and using motorbike coilovers
3) Beam axle on leaf springs - but leafs are heavy themselves.

The trailer will be a super-duper camping trailer a bit like this - I already have a scrap caravan to take sink & hob from.

Hornet sees the light of day after 15 years IMAG0645
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:55 pm

With regard to rear slam panel repairs, "we are the mods" is quite right with regard to the mini repair, its not too dissimilar, just needs a bit of further metal bashing.
Heel Boards (where the rear subframe mounts go) are best to get the one piece complete panel, (unless its only rotten one side), and again, is not really a difficult job, but, it will take a bit of confidence, and copious amounts of measurement! one of those jobs that once you have done it, next time its a doddle!.
Stick with it, and all will be worth while! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down