Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bits from other cars / clear lenses

+4
superworm
catmint
Red Riley
NorthernElf
8 posters

Go down

bits from other cars / clear lenses Empty bits from other cars / clear lenses

Post  NorthernElf Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:50 pm

As i have been collecting bits for my car mainly lights i have a full set now including clear front indicator lenses , Could anyone do a list of what parts are interchangeable from the 1100 etc

Hope that makes sense?

NorthernElf

Back to top Go down

bits from other cars / clear lenses Empty Re: bits from other cars / clear lenses

Post  Red Riley Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Well, the front and rear indicator lights are for sure. I have a set of all-red rear lenses that were supposed to be 1100 export parts. I also have a set of all-amber front lenses that I picked up at a swap meet that I think were from an Austin America. Where did you find the all-clear ones?
I was told that the rear bumpers were used on the Lotus Elan Plus-2. Haven't ever seen one to see whether it's true or not.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

bits from other cars / clear lenses Empty Re: bits from other cars / clear lenses

Post  catmint Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:37 am

Hi Folks

lights wise, make sure they are from the early 1100/1300's, later ones are well different. Interesting to hear you got hold of some clear lenses though. Bumpers were as far as I am aware exclusive to our little cars, the lotus one looks similar ish ebay link. But, on some of the lotus 7 style kit cars they do chop up and use the ends of the bumpers (sacrilege I know)

Hope this helps a bit

Gordon

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:18 am

Methinks Lotus Elan +2 rear bumpers where indeed sourced from Elf?hornet parts but modified by increasing the overall width by an inch. Web search produced the following links. The last link impiles that modified Elf tooling was used in the original bumpers:

http://www.gglotus.org/ggpart/elan+2xref.htm

http://www.groupharrington.com/bumper/bumper/lotus_elan+2/7.jpg

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11071

I remember,eons ago, warning one of my Elan+2 friends to keep his thievin' hands off of my Elfie's rear bumpers!

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:42 am

very interesting, well researched. Next time I see a +2 I will have to have a good luck

catmint

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 pm

A mate of mine Ex Elan owner offered me his spare rear bumper as he had heard it would fit. On inspection all the bolt holes were in different positions, obviously the wrong model elan?
Interesting subject though.
I know some Rover 90 rear lights were the same as the mini van and MK1 mini.
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:09 pm

TONYELF wrote: I know some Rover 90 rear lights were the same as the mini van and MK1 mini.

Sorry to correct you there Tony, but the Rover 90 rear lights were used for the Mini Pickup - not the van and mk1. (Mini Van and Pickup lights are different)

Cheers

Jase

(incidentally, I have toyed with the idea of going clear indicator lens on my elf..... thus far I have resisted!) Smile
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthernElf Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:24 pm

I got the clear lenses of ebay however i have found a place that sells them for £6 each + P+P will check that mine fit and post the details up , they list loads of old NOS lucas lenses Smile

NorthernElf

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Yo Northern

Let me know where your lucas website is when you can - my buddy needs some US standard indicator lenses

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:31 am

superworm wrote:Methinks Lotus Elan +2 rear bumpers where indeed sourced from Elf?hornet parts but modified by increasing the overall width by an inch. Web search produced the following links. The last link impiles that modified Elf tooling was used in the original bumpers:

http://www.gglotus.org/ggpart/elan+2xref.htm

http://www.groupharrington.com/bumper/bumper/lotus_elan+2/7.jpg

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11071

I remember,eons ago, warning one of my Elan+2 friends to keep his thievin' hands off of my Elfie's rear bumpers!

Cheers

just while i'm putting my anorak on - the elf/ Hornet rear bumper was used on the Ginetta G15

http://www.classicandracing.co.uk/hundredthousand/chooperg15.jpg
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Big_Al_Smith wrote: just while i'm putting my anorak on - the elf/ Hornet rear bumper was used on the Ginetta G15

http://www.classicandracing.co.uk/hundredthousand/chooperg15.jpg

It does look right. Now, off to find a Ginetta G15 with a good bumper. tongue
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:45 pm

superworm wrote:Yo Northern

Let me know where your lucas website is when you can - my buddy needs some US standard indicator lenses

Cheers

Okay, I'm intrigued. What exactly are US standard indicators on an Elf/Hornet. It was my understanding that they were never exported to the US. At least I've never heard of anything like a US standard. We're still the wild west over here as far as cars go. No standards is more like it. Question
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hilbert Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:37 pm

hello red riley

do you have a set of complete red rear lense for sale maybe
i like to have a set for my complete red riley elf

greatings hilbert

hilbert

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Red Riley wrote:

Okay, I'm intrigued. What exactly are US standard indicators on an Elf/Hornet. It was my understanding that they were never exported to the US. At least I've never heard of anything like a US standard. We're still the wild west over here as far as cars go. No standards is more like it. Question

Al, can I borrow that anorak please, we have just done a bit of digging through our info

Not sure about specifics for the US but some export rear lenses were all red, plus often there were individual specs for different countries, eg Canada had it's own build spec, no idea what the export specification's were tho. The early parts book does mention the US (and other countries) with regard to certain items, for instance carb heaters and toughened glass in the door windows were specifics mentioned for the US, but whether there was ever an official export will require some more research somewhere - certainly non of the 1961 to may 62 build was sent to the US (that is as far as we got trailing through Gaydon's records)

catmint

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:14 am

Oh B*GGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Methinks I have sent you all a curved ball:::

Okay, I'm intrigued. What exactly are US standard indicators on an Elf/Hornet. It was my understanding that they were never exported to the US. At least I've never heard of anything like a US standard. We're still the wild west over here as far as cars go. No standards is more like it.

I didn't mention it (ijot that I am !!!!!) but I should have been referring to my Buddy's TR6. The US Spec TR6 front indicators are almost identical to Elf/Hornet (the housings are identical) - the difference being in that the lenses are one piece (not separate clear and amber parts) yet still clear and amber - and they remain as rare as rocking horse poo in jolly olde ! The clear bit is bulged out forwards a bit (about 3 mmm -1/8th inch in Christian Units!). They remain a Lucas part and are attached to and below the bumper - British TR6 have bigger indicators attached to the body front panel.

To my knowledge, Elf/Hornets were not exported to US from BMC

Again - My apologies - I had TR6's on the brain!!!!!!!

Alan
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:50 am

hilbert wrote:hello red riley

do you have a set of complete red rear lense for sale maybe
i like to have a set for my complete red riley elf

greatings hilbert

Are all red lenses legal where you are? The only extra set I have is going on my matching Elf trailer. As far as I know they are the last remaining set. You might try Classic Garage, that is where I got mine, but just to warn you, they were quite (I mean really exorbitantly) expensive. At the time I bought mine they said they didn't have any more, but you might check anyway. They had them listed as 1100 Export lenses. Make sure you specify the early ones, as the later ones are not the same. They won't be listed on their website at any rate, so you'll have to call or email them. Good Luck!
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthernElf Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Here is a e-mail i recieved from a company that stock NOS lenses, I have not tried the clear ones of ebay to make sure they fit though yet will do tomorrow if i remember lol

RATTRAY
MOTOR SPARES
12 CORNWALL STREET,
GLASGOW G41 1AQ
STORES 0141 427 6517
FAX 0141 427 6518
E-MAIL rms-6517@btconnect.com WWW.CLASSICTOCURRENT.CO.UK

Hi,
Thank you for this enquiry. We have stock of L694 white lens. The cost will be £6.00 each plus P&P.

I hope this information is helpful.

Harry Sherry
Partner

NorthernElf

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthernElf Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Fits well Smile

bits from other cars / clear lenses Th_HPIM1734

NorthernElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:31 pm

NorthernElf wrote:Fits well Smile

bits from other cars / clear lenses Th_HPIM1734

i now want some of these for rusty - he's not exactly going to be original spec - but subtle - people won't notice he's not original 'til they look closer - that's the plan anyway Idea
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  NorthernElf Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Mines not going to be origional not even a-series but i also appreciate original cars, I think it a subtle mod though and most people would not notice Very Happy

NorthernElf

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:26 am

Well, I can verify that the Lucas L845 sidelight lens works on the Elf as advertised. I picked up a set of full amber ones and they're on my car now. They look pretty cool. The chrome surround is identical as well in case you ever have a need for one of those.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down