Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted, Bakelite Washers, Electrical

5 posters

Go down

Wanted, Bakelite Washers, Electrical Empty Wanted, Bakelite Washers, Electrical

Post  SteveP Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:39 am

Looking for the " open washer" #1 in photo. Came out of Elf license plate light bulb holder. I broke one.
I've found the other washer in the picture(#2) which I could get to work but I would prefer the original type, #1. It appears to be made of bakelite or fiberboard. Thank you. Steve

Wanted, Bakelite Washers, Electrical DSC01779MediumSZD1
SteveP
SteveP

Back to top Go down

Wanted, Bakelite Washers, Electrical Empty Re: Wanted, Bakelite Washers, Electrical

Post  Red Riley Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:22 am

Those are called phenolic washers. You should be able to find them at a Radio Shack (do you have those over there?) or similar electronics supply store. I usually just buy a new bulb holder and cannibalize it for parts, but I've also replaced those washers with a heavy nylon washer before. You could just cut a slot to slide the wire through if you don't want to cut the wire.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wanted, Bakelite Washers, Electrical Empty Re: Wanted, Bakelite Washers, Electrical

Post  SteveP Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:54 pm

Red Riley, thank you for the reply. I'll do some research on "phenolic washers". I'm not familiar with the term "phenolic".
I do have some nylon washers that would work but I was concerned that there might be some heat build up that might melt the washers.
I'll probably just modify some similar ones from the other holder.

Thanks again, Steve
SteveP
SteveP

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:04 am

I just noticed that you're in Pasadena. I would just walk into the nearest Autozone and buy a couple of replacement sockets and rebuild your old ones with new pieces. Easy peazy.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:56 am

If you get desperate, you could "fret" one out of "paxolin" sheet or even Fiberglass circuit board (as from Radioshack - Maplin's/Nexus in the UK). If you use circuit board then remove the copper cladding else it will get HOT as it shorts out!!!

http://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/shop/category_111/Paxolin.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102495

etc....

Failing access to a hand or machine fretsaw, you could get a jeweller's saw from any hobby shop.

Good luck
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:51 am

damn you guys are clever...thanks for being so helpful, and happy 2010 Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:37 pm

the other thing you could use are "fibre washers" pretty similar stuff, and available from most motor stores. if you have any trouble getting some, PM me! have plenty here.

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveP Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:58 pm

Thank you for the replies...great info. Happy New Year. Steve
SteveP
SteveP

Back to top Go down

Wanted, Bakelite Washers, Electrical Empty bake lite washer

Post  hudnormsue852 Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:59 am

saw the beer cap, Laughing whats the beer like? drunken
hudnormsue852
hudnormsue852

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveP Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:33 am

Sam Adams, Seasonal beer. Sam Adams is one of the better American semi-microbrewery, mass produced beers (in my opinion). Their sesonal beer is like a Marzen type reddish beer, pretty good. My friend and I are getting into some of the somewhat newer microbrewry ales, like Stone and Rogue, which are becoming quite popular here in the US. They have quite a variety of beers, some reaching alcohol +10%. We don't know if it's our imagination or not, but the ones with the higher alcohol content seem to taste the best!

Steve
SteveP
SteveP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down