Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately?

+2
discoman41
Big_Al_Smith
6 posters

Go down

Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately? Empty Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately?

Post  Big_Al_Smith Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:33 am

ok, so we all have our big boy's (and girl's) toys now in our little cars, but what was yer best toy ever when you were a little one?

for me, i think it's a split between action man and lego Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately? Empty Re: Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately?

Post  discoman41 Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:25 am

Subbuteo!

Good times!

Laughing
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately? Empty Re: Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately?

Post  TONYELF Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:28 pm

Meccano, now I suppose I am really showing my age? Laughing
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:22 am

i have a theory - in life there are lego people or meccano people, same as there are scalextric people or hornby railway people, or barbie girls as opposed to cindy girls! wacky theory Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:43 pm

I think you're onto something there Al....

Subbuteo or Striker! people!

Maybe it was because back in the day, our parents good only afford to get us one or the other???

It's all relative now to a point, only it's Playstation people or Xbox people.... I guess?

And ideals change too. Remember as kids we always wanted what our mates had? Nowadays, the kids want what their mates don't have!

That's my theory anyway! Who needs Channel 4?!

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:43 am

As a parent I'd say they want what their mates have aswell as what they don't. they particularly want what the older kids have, Oh and anything they see advertised on TV!!

To illustrate, I had to have a conversation with my 8 year old today about why he can't have a mobile phone, not for the first time. None of his mates have one, but he heard some lads, whilst waiting for the tube, who were checking the football scores on their phones, I volunteered to go and ask the hooded youths for further details on the scores, he declines and then moaned for the rest of the journey - oh yeah and if I had my own phone I'll be able to watch crazy frog on you tube Mum!

The christmas list goes on for 2 pages and has a Wii and and Xbox on it. I can't wait for the teenage years Rolling Eyes

BTW my brother never let me on his scalextric - I was most annoyed. I do remember one very happy day when I was working for Hamleys - and getting paid to play with toys!! (I worked on the floor that did the trains and cars - I refused to do the dolls but really wanted to be with the teddy bears) and someone brought back a mecanno forklift truck, claiming it was faulty. I spend the rest of the day taking apart his mess and putting it back together again- I managed to get it working and was so chuffed with myself!!

Last edited by elfgirl on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't speel :-))
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:50 am

rock on.....meccano, teddies and a love for small red rileys...it doesn't get any better Very Happy
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:14 am

Don't even know what most of those things are. I'm from the Tinkertoy and Erector Set generation.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:13 am

I've no idea what a tinkertoy or erector set are...

But I can only imagine what the expression of my dear old gran's face would've looked like had I opened a present to reveal a box saying "ERECTOR SET"! :lol

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:54 am

Apparently much like Meccano... Erector Set on Wikipedia
Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately? ErectorSetBox
Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately? ErectorSet
There were never enough bolts and nuts. They always disappeared into the corners or were carried off by gnomes or something.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:59 am

But this was (and still is) my favorite toy. Creepy Crawlers!
Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately? CreepyCrawlersBox2
Toys - have i been watching too much james may on the telly lately? CreepyCrawlers2
I currently own about 20 vintage sets. Who says you have to grow up?
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:48 am

Well you do live in Neverland Laughing
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  We Are The Mods Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:05 pm

scalextric for me just brought an MK1 Cortina
We Are The Mods
We Are The Mods
Admin

http://theraleighchopper.forumotion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down