Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dashboard Re-Veneer

+4
discoman41
RobBFG
patlink
evlin64
8 posters

Go down

Dashboard Re-Veneer Empty Dashboard Re-Veneer

Post  evlin64 Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi All,

Evlins referbishment is under way, all stripped down new sills on engine out this weekend and new front end fitted in the next couple of weeks.
Having seats recoverd by Ashley James / MAD Auto trim they were picking up on Tuesday and they are still hear??
Has any one had a go at re veneering dash?? tips/suppliers appreciated

evlin64

Back to top Go down

Dashboard Re-Veneer Empty Re: Dashboard Re-Veneer

Post  patlink Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:50 pm

http://www.woodveneeruk.co.uk/

i am a cabinet maker and used these in the past for veneers.

patlink

Back to top Go down

Post  evlin64 Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks

Looks good

evlin64

Back to top Go down

Post  RobBFG Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:08 am

As I'm about to contemplate rebuilding my dash board too; Which veneer is used in the Elf?

One of the guys in my mini club gave up on AJ / MAD after six months of waiting and excuses.
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:41 am

evlin64 wrote:Hi All,

Evlins referbishment is under way, all stripped down new sills on engine out this weekend and new front end fitted in the next couple of weeks.
Having seats recoverd by Ashley James / MAD Auto trim they were picking up on Tuesday and they are still hear??
Has any one had a go at re veneering dash?? tips/suppliers appreciated

I ordered my seats for "Rupert" from Ashley James, and while I got some excellent seats in the end, it wasn't without it's hassle! They leave a lot to be desired in fulfilling promises and customer service Mad

On the subject of dashboards, take a look at the pictures of "Rupe's" restoration, and let me know what you think of mine - then I'll let you in on a closely guarded secret! Smile

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  evlin64 Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Jase

Your Elf looks great

Seats look very good, have read mixed reports on AJ/MAD they have given me a 5 week delivery but will not hold my breath I will hound them as time goes on they are not too far away from the inlaws so a visit may be on the cards.The price is good so i taking a little gamble that we will get there in the end.

The dash also looks good in the photos, so what have you covered it with??

Thanks

Lindsay

evlin64

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 am

I covered it with a roll of walnut effect laminate or stick back plastic as they called it on Blue Peter! The glove box doors were always a different grain, so I didn't do anything to them, but I gambled that it would look good enough for shows until I can actually source a better dash. Purists again will hate me, but I think it looks ok - £3 for the roll! Shocked

Good luck with Ashley James.... I think their problem is that they have to use an independent courier coupled with their demand being more than they can supply!

My seats were meant to be with me within 5 weeks. I eventually arranged for them to take them to Malvern Mini Day last March (closest show to me). Imagine my delight when I arrived at their stand, to find my seats (which I had already paid for!) being used as their display model, being sat on by all and sundry! Plus the carpet set for our mini wasn't put on their van either!

Grrrrr.......!

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:20 am

A case of the left hand not speaking to the right maybe? Shocked
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

TONYELF wrote:A case of the left hand not speaking to the right maybe? Shocked

Either way, you don't expect it when you shell out that kind of cash...

Evil or Very Mad
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Jase, I would have had those seats at a reduced "Demo" price, or would have been screaming and making a spectacle of myself until they threw money at me to shut me up. Not cool!
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dashboard Re-Veneer Empty Ashley James re Seats and Carpets

Post  Elf Service Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:25 am

They haven't done themselves any favours with the comments on this forum. Good publicity takes time, hard work and patience, bad publicity travels like wild fire.
I'll stick with my local vehicle upholsterer if and when needed.
Elf Service
Elf Service

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:23 am

Red Riley wrote:Jase, I would have had those seats at a reduced "Demo" price, or would have been screaming and making a spectacle of myself until they threw money at me to shut me up. Not cool!

Normally I would have too, but you should see the guy! He makes me look small, and those that know me, know that I am certainly not slight! lol

I did at least get some money off, but not much!

Like I said, no problem with the finished product - just the whole lack of customer service...

Smile

(NB: All views expressed are purely that of individuals who have had personal experiences with any companies mentioned. The views are not expressed on behalf of The Elf/Hornet Register itself)
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Post  evlin64 Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm

I will try at the moment not get to hung up with AJ/MAD will let you know how i progress

As to an earlier question it is only the speedo and glove boxes that are veneered the other two sections are jvarnished my plan is to have a go at the complete dash in Burr Walnut

Jase your dash does look good in the picture and if I am stuggling with the Veneer I may go down that road

I have seen an Elf while I was on holiday in Scotland a couple of years ago that had a complete veneered dash and it did look very good.

evlin64

Back to top Go down

Post  discoman41 Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:39 pm

evlin64 wrote:I will try at the moment not get to hung up with AJ/MAD will let you know how i progress

As to an earlier question it is only the speedo and glove boxes that are veneered the other two sections are jvarnished my plan is to have a go at the complete dash in Burr Walnut

Jase your dash does look good in the picture and if I am stuggling with the Veneer I may go down that road

I have seen an Elf while I was on holiday in Scotland a couple of years ago that had a complete veneered dash and it did look very good.

The middle section and the doors were a different grain. As you can see I opted to laminate the whole dash apart from the two doors which i left original.

Jase
discoman41
discoman41

Back to top Go down

Dashboard Re-Veneer Empty Re dash refurb

Post  elfsave Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:39 am

Just to see if any body can beat this,my supposed mate a pro funtiture restorer man and boy has had one of dashes for 14 years and still reashures me It will be ready when I have decent enougth car to put it in.
cheeky git!!

elfsave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum