Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riley Elf III on Ebay

+3
asahartz
Red Riley
bmcelf
7 posters

Go down

Riley Elf III on Ebay Empty Riley Elf III on Ebay

Post  bmcelf Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:12 am

I am still here in the US searching for a Riley Elf III. I noticed a car on Ebay UK item 270446448456 that looks like a car that mostly meets my originality desires and appears to be in pretty good shape. Anyone of you over there have any knowledge of this car in Nottinghamshire? Regardless I would be intrested in your opinions of the car and it's value.

Does anyone know of firms such as Classiccore ( http://classiccore.com/index.html ) acting as an agents for getting a car shipped to the US? Are they reliable and worthwhile? Any other recommended agents or methods?

Thanks for any advise.

Jim

Last edited by bmcelf on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Riley Elf III on Ebay Empty Re: Riley Elf III on Ebay

Post  Red Riley Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:47 pm

I met a guy at Mini50 that does importing. Basically you let him know what you're interested in and he'll find you a nice car. I can't remember if he is the one who operates classiccore. I know there are a couple guys, good reputations and not so good. I'll talk to my friend who knows these folks better than I do.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:31 am

Red Riley, Could that person be Malcolm Ward at: http://www.classicminicoopers.com/ ? He is located in Orlando with a friend in England. I have emailed him but not received a reply. Thanks for any help you can give.
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:24 am

Yes, I believe that's right. The guy who runs classiccore I think is Bill Cox. I'll see if I can get you Malcom's phone number. Oh, never mind. Isse it's on his website. I'd try his mobile, I'm not thinking he's the type to sit around checking his email.
Not necessarily a recommendation, but you might also keep an eye on Turky's here in Charleston. He does occasionally have an Elf for sale. He has a link on Mini Mania. You might also want to check out P&L Minis. They have an export section on their website, and I think I've seen an Elf on there before.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  asahartz Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:10 pm

That car is close to me, though I don't know it. Could have a look at it for you if the importing is feasible?
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:43 pm

asahartz, that would be great, I sent a PM. (Auction didn't meet reserve).

asahartz wrote:That car is close to me, though I don't know it. Could have a look at it for you if the importing is feasible?

Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:21 am

This Forum is awesome!!! "asahartz" checked out the car for me and sent me a detailed inspection report with many supporting pictures. I couldn't have done better in person. Thanks again. I have worked on restoring my own MGA's for the past 15 years and found that forums such as this an extremely valuable asset to the owner of an old classic cars. I have gotten and given many parts out the stuff in the corner of the garage that was just kept until someone needed it.

I am still negotiating on the Elf but it seems worth well more than the auction close. The time difference is a difficulty but manageable.

Anyone needing any assistance in this side of the pond let me know.
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  Big_Al_Smith Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:26 pm

Good news - hope it all goes well
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:56 pm

I want to see the Elf if you get it over here. My local British Car Club's annual show is in October in Charleston SC. Come on down!
http://britishcarclubcharleston.com/
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:38 am

I own the car now!!! It is in the process of being transporting to the USA. I expect it to arrive in Charleston, SC around the end of this month. The car is exactly what I wanted--not perfect but a sound mostly original car.

This forum and it's members have been a great help to me in this quest for a car. Thank you all.

Now all I need are Bumper Over Riders. Mostly everything is on the car but not over riders.

Red Riley, I'll give you a call when I come to pick up the car if you want. I have to wait an see if everything is together to make the Charleston show. I will be in Hiawassee, GA and Waynesboro, VA shows in a few weeks with my MGA. Bill King from Isle of Palms and his blue twin-cam MGA always takes my class. Now I've moved to a Riley Elf.
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:20 am

Congratulations on your new aquisition. Very Happy
Whilst we over here don't like losing some of our inheritance/history/chances of getting good,genuine solid replacement parts, it is nice to see this little beauty going to a good home and hope you will remain a member of our little club forum and keep us informed of future developments.
Tony
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:25 pm

bmcelf wrote:I own the car now!!! It is in the process of being transporting to the USA. I expect it to arrive in Charleston, SC around the end of this month. The car is exactly what I wanted--not perfect but a sound mostly original car.

This forum and it's members have been a great help to me in this quest for a car. Thank you all.

Now all I need are Bumper Over Riders. Mostly everything is on the car but not over riders.

Red Riley, I'll give you a call when I come to pick up the car if you want. I have to wait an see if everything is together to make the Charleston show. I will be in Hiawassee, GA and Waynesboro, VA shows in a few weeks with my MGA. Bill King from Isle of Palms and his blue twin-cam MGA always takes my class. Now I've moved to a Riley Elf.

Yes, Bill's A is pretty nice. By all means give me a call. I'll PM you with my number.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  elfgirl Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:32 am

Congratulations - keep us posted with progess and pics!!
elfgirl
elfgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:52 am

Yo

Alastair (via the Newsletter) put me on to Brian (whoops - forgot his last name!) for supply of over-riders. I got a pair (2) for slightly over £90 (i/c p&p within UK) and they are absolutely magnificent (dunno about re-manufactured but mine ARE new). The last I heard, the supply was running down so you may need to digit extractum and get in touch with him PDQ:

bec@bmautoequip.freeserve.co.uk

011 44 (0)1213082354
011 44 (0)7973749608 (cell phone)

both numbers from the good olde US of A (don't need the second "0")

I found he was great and pleasant to deal with - even send me some money back as the ijot in charge of this country reduced our VAT rating (sales tax) down a trifle as the order went through!

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  bmcelf Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Superworm, Thanks for the info but Brian said he was sold out of the over riders and did not have plans for a new batch. Maybe we can drum up enough demand to get a few made. I've seen pictures of a number of cars in addition to mine with over riders missing.

The wrecking yard in the US just don't have any Riley Elf's.

Jim
bmcelf
bmcelf

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Somerford Minis have some left I think.
http://www.somerford-mini.co.uk/
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down