Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headlamp replacement

5 posters

Go down

Headlamp replacement Empty Headlamp replacement

Post  myshell Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:42 pm

One of my sealed beam headlamp units has died and I was wondering if instead of replacing it with another sealed beam unit should I convert to the units which uses the H4 Halogen bulb.

Can anyone advise me on this and suggest which 'unsealed unit' and bulb I should use.

My car still has the standard dymano fitted and if possible I dont want to change to an alternator.

myshell

Back to top Go down

Headlamp replacement Empty Re: Headlamp replacement

Post  Red Riley Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:45 pm

I replaced both of mine with the WIPAC H4 halogen headlights (LHD of course) I'm pretty sure they come in RHD form from any number of suppliers on your side of the pond. They even have the added small light like the later Minis, which was a doddle to hook up to the parking lamps. The H4 bulbs give lots of light. Or you can get them without the pilot light. Just make sure you take the time to have them properly aimed.
A quick search found these at Moss:
Headlamp replacement UKTRS-056
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:46 pm

If you want the dogs wotsits fit cibies - they are the best units we have found for the rally car - a set 60w cibies are out shining a pair of 100w wipac spot lamps. They are a more expensive than others but they are worth the money if you intend to do a lot of night driving down country lanes like we do

Gordon

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:59 pm

I would check the condition and out put of your dynamo first.
A rough guide. When starting your car on a good battery , to put back into the battery what you have just taken out can take up to 20mins at around 30 mph or more to put that power back into the battery.
If the battery is new, you will probably get away with a few starts and a few short journeys before you notice any loss .
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  evmck Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:11 am

Some useful information there as I have been thinking about putting better lights on Henry - i was almost ready to resort to carrying a torch out the window as his lights were so poor!! cheers
evmck
evmck

Back to top Go down

Post  catmint Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:29 pm

just a bit more to add onto Tony's comments - make sure all the electrical connectors are really clean and a good earth - the slightest bit of corrosion can really sap the power out of headlights

catmint

http://www.catmint.biz

Back to top Go down

Headlamp replacement Empty RE replacement headlamps

Post  myshell Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:51 pm

Many thanks for all your replies.
From your advice I have decided to go with the Wipac H4 as I dont have the car out that often in the dark.

myshell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down