Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boot floor - what does it look like?

4 posters

Go down

Boot floor - what does it look like? Empty Boot floor - what does it look like?

Post  Aussie Neil Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:25 pm

I recently acquired my Elf Mark 3 as a partly restored car, missing quite a few bits including a floor for the boot. I don't have access to another Elf or Hornet so I have no idea what the floor looks like, or the material I should use. Could some kind soul please post a photo of a boot floor panel or better still a drawing of this component please? I live in Australia and Elfs weren't sold here. Any that are in this country are private imports, mainly from New Zealand I understand, or from UK.
Thanks in anticipation.

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Boot floor - what does it look like? Empty Boot Board

Post  Red Riley Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Boot floor - what does it look like? 7943614260_9b1c6f8f49_o
Boot floor - what does it look like? 7943613886_a54322fe7c_o

The black cover is a sheet of steel over a sheet of heavy cardboard, i assume to give some headspace for the battery. I didn't bother cutting it out on my new one.
I made my new one from 1/2 inch plywood. Newton Commercial does a carpet for it. Mine's a bit different since I modified it to fit around my second tuel tank, but you get the idea.

Boot floor - what does it look like? 3314875117_5e8ae3ab37_o

I've got the pattern traced out on a sheet of paper, happy to send it your way if you like.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Boot floor - what does it look like? Empty Re: Boot floor - what does it look like?

Post  Aussie Neil Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:57 am

Thanks Red Riley, for the pics, all clear now. I should be able to work out how to do it now. I thought i read somewhere (but I can't find it again) something about a hinge but it's clear from your pics that it's a one piece main floor, with little side bits. I wonder whethr the cut out over the battery is to enable easier checking of the battery levels, without the need to remove the boot floor to do so? I guess the 'cardboard' stuff is there to insulate the metal cover so that it doesn't accidently short out the battery. ( I have an MGY as well and the lid of the battery box has a similar insulating layer on its underside.)

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Neil

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Boot floor - what does it look like? Empty Re: Boot floor - what does it look like?

Post  Red Riley Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:48 am

I don't think it was meant to be a battery access hatch, since it's screwed down tight. I suspect it's just to give a bit more clearance above the battery. My battery is short enough that it doesn't come near the board.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Neil Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:45 am

That sounds like a more logical explanation - I suppose it would be pretty difficult top up a battery through that small opening anyway. And by the time you removed the cover, it wouldn't be that much more difficult to remove the boot floor.

Thanks again for your help - I have a feeling that I am going to need a bit more guidance as the project proceeds.

On another note, could you please tell me how to insert a picture into a post.

Neil

Aussie Neil

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:09 am

Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  psychobob Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:41 pm

does anyone have a photo of the side pieces? the centre large board came with my car but not the smaller outer boards. it's annoying when stuff rolls off the edge and disappears underneath! they are an awkward looking shape to try to make them from scratch. also, does the centre board normally rest on the spare wheel, as i dont have a spare. when i put my toolbox in the boot, it tends to bend the brackets on the rear bulkhead with the weight.
psychobob
psychobob

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:19 pm

The side pieces are metal, attached to the boot, at least mine are. If you are missing the proper brackets for those, they can be had from Gordon Furness, here: http://www.totalrepellents.co.uk/minibits/Bootfloorbrkts.htm
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:23 pm

If only the shipping wasn't so outrageous - I have a spare bootboard.
Alex
Alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down