Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine and subframe removal

2 posters

Go down

Engine and subframe removal Empty Engine and subframe removal

Post  Denny1965 Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi guys, I wanted to take the engine and subframe out in one so I can clean it all up and paint both and it's easier to work on. I was wondering the DIY way as my elf is on stands at the minute. Any help would be much appreciated!

Denny1965

Back to top Go down

Engine and subframe removal Empty Re: Engine and subframe removal

Post  Stuart B Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:10 am

Hi

I am a bit of a novice mechanic as well but I removed the engine and front subframe from my Elf yesterday so that I can clean and repaint all of the components. I just worked my way round the engine compartment disconnecting everything and the undid the subframe bolts and rang up a few friends. Using five people including a couple of scrawny ladies we just lifted the body off the subframe and rolled it back along the garage. I had taken the precaution of sliding a small wheeled trolley under the sump so that the subframe complete with suspension, wheels etc was just sitting on the trolley which I then pushed to one side in the garage. I am now dismantlling all the componensts and cleaning them up. I suspect it may be easier to put the subframe back in on its own and then dropping the engine in conventionally. I have bought an engine hoist and that is supporting the engine at the moment and is allowing me to easily move the subframe.

All quite simple so far

Stuart

Stuart B

Back to top Go down

Post  Denny1965 Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:15 am

Aha, I hadn't thought of this way, all my ancillaries and cooling system we took out the other day. Now we're stuck. Was your crane expensive? Many thanks.

Denny1965

Back to top Go down

Post  Stuart B Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:27 pm

I bought an engine crane on ebay as that seemed a sensible thing to do rather than hire one. I live out in the sticks and it is a 60 mile round trip to hire one and I think they are about £ 30 for a weekend. Probably not the cheapest option but the most convenient. I have a number of friends who are also eccentric old car enthusiasts so I am sure that between us it will be well used.

Stuart

Stuart B

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down