Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green Warning Light on Mk.1 Elf Indicator Stalk - Won't light up :

5 posters

Go down

Green Warning Light on Mk.1 Elf Indicator Stalk - Won't light up : Empty Green Warning Light on Mk.1 Elf Indicator Stalk - Won't light up :

Post  David2010 Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:57 pm

Can anyone advise me how to fix this problem ?
The indicator stalk works perfectly in that :
(a) The external indicator lights work when the stalk is moved left or right as and when required ;
(b) The indicator stalk self cancels when the steering wheel is re-centred after turning ;

However, the small green warning light on the end of the stalk no longer works !
The tiny bulb is ok - I've checked it and it lights up when connected to a flashlight battery.
Advice needed as to what needs to be checked to cure this.
David2010
David2010
David2010

Back to top Go down

Green Warning Light on Mk.1 Elf Indicator Stalk - Won't light up : Empty Re: Green Warning Light on Mk.1 Elf Indicator Stalk - Won't light up :

Post  Big_Al_Smith Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:40 pm

the wiring for this goes back to a five pin connector block under the dash - it's possible that the wire feeding the little bulb has come loose or broken, but it's also possible that the wire that runs inside the indicator arm itself has broken in there, which could be tricky! first you need to check to see if power is geting to the bulb holder on the end of the stalk....
Big_Al_Smith
Big_Al_Smith

https://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk127/bigalsmith_photos/

Back to top Go down

Green Warning Light on Mk.1 Elf Indicator Stalk - Won't light up : Empty Green warning light on my Mk.1 Indicator Stalk - won't light up :

Post  David2010 Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:48 pm

The problem appears to lie within the stalk itself.
I brought the car to my local mechanic this morning.
He used a phase tester type gadget & agrees with your assumption -
As power is being delivered up to an area right beside the stalk & as
the bulb works - its almost certain that the black/white wire which runs
within the stalk has broken.

He rummaged in vain for another indicator Mk.1 Mini indicator switch but
could not locate it amongst his " Mini bits ".
Replacing the switch is probably the easiest solution - if I can locate a switch.
David2010
David2010
David2010

Back to top Go down

Green Warning Light on Mk.1 Elf Indicator Stalk - Won't light up : Empty Re: Green Warning Light on Mk.1 Elf Indicator Stalk - Won't light up :

Post  Red Riley Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:10 am

There's one on Ebay right now for 25 pounds, if you don't want to pay twice that at MiniSpares.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Green Warning Light on Mk.1 Elf Indicator Stalk - Won't light up : Empty Green Warning Light on my Mk.1 Indicator Stalk - won't light up :

Post  David2010 Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks for the e-bay tip Red Riley.
Though having dismantled the offending switch last night - I feel (having re-assembled it again
springs & all ) that I really should attempt the repair myself.
The question now is - in order to remove the faulty inner wire connection that runs inside the stalk
does the stalk dis-assemble easily. For example, can the black plastic end piece be removed from the
chrome stalk without doing irrepairable damage to said stalk ? Or is there another way of removing &
replacing this inner wire from the other end of the stalk ?
David2010
David2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Sadly, the black end bit cannot be removed without being broken. You may be lucky, it may be worn enough to be "wiggled" off..

Nick

Back to top Go down

Green Warning Light on Mk.1 Elf Indicator Stalk - Won't light up : Empty Green warning light on my Mk.1 Elf won't light up :

Post  David2010 Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Problem solved ???
I made a visit to my local Dublin "field of dreams" of abandoned cars - probably 25 to 30 cars from the 60s &70s
most of them now long past restoration - collected together by a friendly farmer.
With his permission, I removed a complete indicator switch assembly from a Mk.3 red/black Irish assembled
Hornet. The switch still works - even its 1960s-era tiny globe shaped bulb lights up.
Surpringly, this Hornet still has original 4 all red seats - grimy but unworn !

But, I digress, the down-side of this donor switch is that the chrome stalk is badly pitted with rust & has
peeling chrome. Any suggestions as to how I might restore this stalk please ?
David 2010.
David2010
David2010

Back to top Go down

Post  TONYELF Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Have a look No 4 in the coke section below, might help. My indicator stalk is the same but to be honest I don't realy notice it. Tony
Water Or Coke - Incredible!!!!!

Can you believe this....? Very interesting!!!

WATER

#1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half the world population)

#2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is mistaken for hunger.

#3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as 3%.

#4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

#5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

#6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

#7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

#8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79% and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should drink every day?

COKE

#1. In many states the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

#2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.

#3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the 'real thing' sit for one hour, then flush clean.
The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

#4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

#5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals:

Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

#6. To loosen a rusted bolt:

Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

#7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake.

Thirty minutes before ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

#8. To remove grease from clothes:

Empty a can of Coke into the load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

#1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.

#2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup! (the concentrate) the commercial trucks must use a hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

#3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean engines of the trucks for about 20 years!

TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down