Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using a tow dolly with an Elf/Hornet, rear clearance OK?

4 posters

Go down

Using a tow dolly with an Elf/Hornet, rear clearance OK? Empty Using a tow dolly with an Elf/Hornet, rear clearance OK?

Post  SteveP Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:19 am

I'm considering purchasing a tow dolly made especially for Minis. I'm wondering if anyone has used a tow dolly with an Elf or Hornet and if there are any clearance issues at the rear when the front is up on the dolly and then the rear is closer to the ground. The dolly will be shipped across country so I can't really try it out before I buy it.

Steve
SteveP
SteveP

Back to top Go down

Using a tow dolly with an Elf/Hornet, rear clearance OK? Empty Re: Using a tow dolly with an Elf/Hornet, rear clearance OK?

Post  TONYELF Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:46 pm

I should think there would be no problem if the tow dolly has 10" mini wheels (May also be ok if 12" as it most likely will have) I should query that with the seller first if I were you.
Hopefully another member may have the experience of one.
Some dollies have smaller wheels which may be a problem if you are to tow many miles (risk of overheating?)
TONYELF
TONYELF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Using a tow dolly with an Elf/Hornet, rear clearance OK? Empty Re: Using a tow dolly with an Elf/Hornet, rear clearance OK?

Post  asahartz Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:08 pm

I would be very nervous about using an Elf on a Dolly. They're low enough to begin with, and I know I can make my exhaust touch the ground by jacking the front end off the floor. When I've been recovered by garages in the past I've actually requested that they send a flatbed, as the one time a garage attempted to dolly it they could not get it safely loaded.

A saloon is a different matter, the shorter rear overhang makes dollying viable, but I wouldn't do it to my Elf.

You might however consider an A-frame; I've seen that done safely. The guy who bought my other Elf towed it 120+ miles to London on an A-frame.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:55 am

Not a dolly, but I've seen this type of setup used quite a lot in the US. There would be no issue with tail dragging.
Using a tow dolly with an Elf/Hornet, rear clearance OK? Family355
I've even seen classic Minis being towed by BMW MINIs. There was a matching set of old and new Clubman Estates at Spring Thing, the new one towing the old one.
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down