Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dashboard Renovation

5 posters

Go down

Dashboard Renovation Empty Dashboard Renovation

Post  tabitha Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi,
Does anyone out there know of any companies that would strip, reveneer and then re-lacquer the dashboard from my 1968 Mk3 Elf?
I bought a replacement dash from Minisport that said it was for an Elf, even phoned up and double checked first, but when it arrived it was designed to fit over the plastic centre binnacle and had larger air vent holes! So I've had to send it back, pity really because it looked nice!
Decided it would be easier to just have the original dash restored but can't find anyone willing to do it! I've found quite a few who would re-veneer it but no-one wants to re-lacquer it!
Just thought one of you guys or girls might have had one done!
Cheers
Rich
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Dashboard Renovation Empty Re: Dashboard Renovation

Post  asahartz Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Relacquering can be done DIY, it just takes patience. I haven't done my Elf yet, but I did a Herald dash. I used a spray varnish (Halfords, B&Q, etc). You coat it, leave it 24 hours to go off, then flat it back with 600 wet & dry paper. Coat it again, leave 24 hours, flat back with 800 wet & dry. Coat again, leave 24 hours, flat back with 1200 wet & dry. Keep building up coats and flatting back in this way to get the depth, then a final coat which shouldn't need any more than a polish. It just takes a long time! 2 cans of spray varnish should do it.
asahartz
asahartz

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Riley Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Surely you could find a restorer who would be happy to relieve you of some of your money.
I would try searching here: Wooden Dashboard Restorations
or here: BAFRA
Red Riley
Red Riley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tabitha Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:07 am

asahartz wrote:Relacquering can be done DIY, it just takes patience. I haven't done my Elf yet, but I did a Herald dash. I used a spray varnish (Halfords, B&Q, etc). You coat it, leave it 24 hours to go off, then flat it back with 600 wet & dry paper. Coat it again, leave 24 hours, flat back with 800 wet & dry. Coat again, leave 24 hours, flat back with 1200 wet & dry. Keep building up coats and flatting back in this way to get the depth, then a final coat which shouldn't need any more than a polish. It just takes a long time! 2 cans of spray varnish should do it.

Yeah I figured I could do the re-lacquering myself, but don't think I've really got the patience!! Also as I said someone has alreday tried to re-veneer the dash (badly) They've just stuck new mismatched veneer over the old lacquer and veneer! So wanted someone to strip it and just start from scratch!
Cheers anyway!
Rich
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Post  tabitha Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:09 am

Red Riley wrote:Surely you could find a restorer who would be happy to relieve you of some of your money.
I would try searching here: Wooden Dashboard Restorations
or here: BAFRA
Since the one I bought from Minisport, which they assured me would be a perfect match and fit cost £117 I'd be willing to pay that and a bit more to get a professionally finished dash that fitted!
I've contacted a company called London Carriage Craft but I'm still waiting for a reply. So while I'm waiting I'll contact those others.
Cheers
Rich
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Post  superworm Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:49 am

Hi Rich...

You could try Chapman & Cliff (in Cheshire)...their example prices don't look too far out of bed and they seem to know their stuff. Cannot vouch for them as I have no actual experience::

http://www.chapmanandcliff.co.uk/

cheers

Alan

superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  tabitha Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:28 am

superworm wrote:Hi Rich...

You could try Chapman & Cliff (in Cheshire)...their example prices don't look too far out of bed and they seem to know their stuff. Cannot vouch for them as I have no actual experience::

http://www.chapmanandcliff.co.uk/

cheers

Alan

Cheers
I've emailed them, just waiting for a reply.
Prices look reasonable and pics on website look good, so here's hoping!
Rich
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Post  evlin64 Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:21 pm

I have also e-mailed them for price, waiting reply

Purchased 12 strips of Bur Walnut Veneer and associated glue and varnish about 6 months ago, not had the time to have a go needs to be done in a warm environment and my garage is Cold .
The prices do look responsible

evlin64

Back to top Go down

Dashboard Renovation Empty dashboard renovation success

Post  tabitha Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Collected my Elf Dashboard last week and it looks stunning.
Renovated by a company called Chapman and Cliff, turn around is usually 5-6 weeks. Mine cost £225 but it looks better than new!
Had it done in American Burr Walnut and it looks fab!
Hope this will help others looking for a reliable company!
Rich
tabitha
tabitha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down