Elf/Hornet Register
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Refitting the transmission casing.

2 posters

Go down

Refitting the transmission casing. Empty Refitting the transmission casing.

Post  RobBFG Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm trying to put my engine back together now. I've got the transmission casing on the bolts and pushed it towards the engine but it stops at 1/4 inch away and won't budge further. It doesn't feel like it's stuck on something metal and it does rock slightly. I've greased the oil seal as suggested in the Haynes manual and put masking tape around the gear.
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Refitting the transmission casing. Empty Re: Refitting the transmission casing.

Post  superworm Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:44 pm

I've got the transmission casing on the bolts

Are you speaking of the "flywheel Housing" Rob???....sounds like you are with taping up the (Primary ?) gear.

If so, you may be having problems with that little brass caged roller bearing that has its outer race embedded in the flywheel housing.....supports the outer end of the 1st Motion Shaft (that which is driven by the Idler Gear)

Sometimes the rollers get a bit away from the cage and drop a midges (force of Gravity dontcherno).... whereas they are supposed to "run up" the chamfer on the outer race into place as you fit the housing. The cure is get a (clean) fingerfull of Castrol LM grease (or similar) and smear it over the rollers (working it in) to keep them in place. The housing should then push on. Don't force the housing...you could totally displace one or more of the rollers and your 1st Motion shaft won't get the support it deserves!

Can't think of anything else that would cause the housing to baulk....only (unlikely) other thinks is that the odd locating dowel holes are a bit bunged up with a smidgen of corrosion or whatever.

Pls respond if I'm in the wrong place!

Cheers
superworm
superworm

Back to top Go down

Post  RobBFG Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:35 am

You're in the right place.
RobBFG
RobBFG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down